Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a vegetarian!

• 13-11-2007 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I don't know what came over me. I bought a 'round roast' in Superquinn last night, thinking I'd make a nice dinner for the boyfriend. When I got it home I realised I didn't know what on earth to do with it. I've no problem cooking meat (it's interesting) but I've always been a vegetarian and haven't really progressed beyond lamb cutlets and fries. Can anyone tell me:
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Take a step back & decide first what way the bf would prefer it - stewed or roasted? If you're not used to cooking meat I'd advise the stew option. Then you don't have to worry so much about whether the meat is served well or medium or whatever. You don't have to fret about doing a gravy either.

That recipe looks nice enough. If you do go for it I'd suggest the following minor changes (in bold):

Add in the onions, garlic and a tablespoon of water, and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
    Remove from pan & set aside on a plate.
    Add in a drop more olive oil & brown the beef in batches. This prevents the beef from cooling the pan stewing immediately in its own juices.

Remove the meat and set aside on a plate & put back in the onions.
    Add in the carrots, parsnips and potatoes, season with salt, pepper and cumin, and cook for five minutes, stirring regularly.

Advertisement