Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me get healthy, please?

• 13-11-2007 4:20pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, here's an interesting little idea.

I'm a single 37 year old man. Live in an apartment with some friends. Don't cook and have a woefully unhealthy lifestyle that I need to change, starting with my diet.

Unfortunately my idea of "healthy eating" is avoiding things that are individually wraped in celophane.

I'm not trying to become Mr World, I have a few pounds I could stand to lose but I'm only about 11.5 -12 stone so I'm not overweight by any stretch of the imagination.

My diet is astoundingly bad though. My typical meals include:
    Pizza (Goodfellas or Fourstar)

Thai (fried noodles with everything)

Indian (Baltis, Kormas, Tandooris... very good quality take away though, the food is good but no veg just rice and the sauces are quite rich and creamy)

The occasional decently cooked meal (meat and two veg etc)...

I drink coffee 2-3 times a day, usually for breakfast. I eat a roll with pesto and smoked chicken for lunch or something similar. Occasionally a breakfast roll from centra.

Sweets, chocolates and fizzy drinks by the ton. :)

So, lately I have been trying to improve things. My coffee in the morning is now supplemented by an Innocent Smoothie and a large Bio Yogurt.
    I'm taking some vitamins and trying to find some alternatives to all the take away food I eat for dinner.

My problem is that I don't really know what is good to eat and what isnt. I'm not looking to become a health food fanatic just to tip the scales towards the healthier end of the spectrum. Cooking isnt really an option, the only things I know how to cook are chillis (which I love) and chicken casarole which I don't mind. I really dont get a lot of time to cook though and the apartment isnt really set up for cooking either.

I can't be the only guy in this sort of predicament so I figured it would be useful for others to use me as an example...

Anyone willing to help? :)

DeV.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: I've read the stickies (really great work G'em and Neuro!)

For my part I will report here periodically and honestly to let people know how things go and what changes I've made and when I fall off the wagon. Well, I'm not really getting ON the wagon. I'm kinda following the wagon. At a distance. But you know what I mean...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I reckon there are a few simple things which even you can be taught to cook, even in that kitchen. What about soup and wholemeal bread ?

I would also suggest getting a fruit bowl for the table beside you and a nut bowl as well,
    not just salted peanuts nuts, fill it with cashews, brazil nuts, vanilla flavoured sunflower seeds and dried fruits of your preference. All available in your local tescos and snack on them instead of sweets and lolipops. If you do give in to the sweet tooth then brush your teeth afterwards that way you are less likely to offend.

A little planning and taking the time to go shopping rather then hitting take aways and centra's/spars will make a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Well DeV, there are lots of things you can do without being much of a cook.

I would suggest that you start with some small changes. The first big hurdle is going to be breakfast - you probably don't really have one usually, am I right? But you really should. But it doesn't need to be painful - try to get into the habit of a couple of boiled or poached eggs on some wholewheat toast and a couple of kiwis or satsumas. On the weekends add some lean rashers, beans, tomatoes and mushrooms to this for a fry replacement. Have your coffee but have a glass of water too. Alternatively have a bowl of muesli topped with a nice Glenisk yoghurt. These give you a great start into the day.

Your lunch is not too bad, but there are no fruits or vegetables in it. How about having a salad alongside your sandwich, plus a piece of fruit (try a bowl of strawberries or grapes instead of the old apple), and a bottle of water?

In terms of not wanting to cook but wanting to eat more healthily, have a look in Marks & Spencers. They offer dishes of ready-to-cook vegetables, fish and meat (I do not mean processed stuff - I mean fresh ready-to-cook packages) and you can have a delicious, fresh home-cooked meal without any skill or effort at all in a very short time. I know M&S is expensive but it is cheaper than takeaway which you are eating anyway.

Try and cut your takeaways down to one night a week. This will be difficult no doubt but you will physically feel far better, and you will restore "treat mentality" so that you really, really enjoy your takeaway on that one night.

As for the sweets and crisps, this will probably be the hardest one to kick. Try replacement. Eat bags of dried fruits and nuts, small portions of really dark chocolate, good yoghurt and fresh fruit (melon, mango, kiwi) for snacks, and cut your rubbish intake to one thing a day to begin with, and then see if you can do without the rubbish over time.

Here are some easy tips to help you when making your food choices:

1. "Whole" is good. Wholewheat, wholegrain, wholemeal.
    2. "Brown" is good. Brown bread, brown rice, brown pasta.
    3. Fruit and veg can and should be eaten in large, regular portions.
    4. Meat, fish and eggs are important protein sources. The "vegetarian option" does not necessarily mean the "healthy option".
    5. Processed food, sweets and takeaways should receive "treat status", not be the norm.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

DeVore wrote: »
    Anyone willing to help? :)
    Absolutely, we're good like that ;)
    I'm a single 37 year old man. Live in an apartment with some friends. Don't cook and have a woefully unhealthy lifestyle that I need to change, starting with my diet.
    Much easier than you think, I promise. Being single and in charge of your own kitchen is a massive help. You don't need to be "set up" to cook either. If you have a pot, a kettle and a cooker you've got everything you need.
    DeVore wrote:
    I'm not trying to become Mr World, I have a few pounds I could stand to lose but I'm only about 11.5 -12 stone so I'm not overweight by any stretch of the imagination.
    Whatever about the weight aspect, I guarantee that you'll feel virtually instantaneously better when you eat well - there's a reason why we bang on about how great good food is :D
    DeVore wrote:
    My diet is astoundingly bad though. My typical meals include:
    Pizza (Goodfellas or Fourstar)

Thai (fried noodles with everything)

Indian (Baltis, Kormas, Tandooris... very good quality take away though, the food is good but no veg just rice and the sauces are quite rich and creamy)

The occasional decently cooked meal (meat and two veg etc)...

I drink coffee 2-3 times a day, usually for breakfast. I eat a roll with pesto and smoked chicken for lunch or something similar. Occasionally a breakfast roll from centra.

Sweets, chocolates and fizzy drinks by the ton. :)
    I love a challenge :)

Food is fuel. Think of a bonfire: if you throw lots of crap onto it in one big go, it'll burn brightly but be smothered quickly. If you give it smaller quantities of high-quality fuel at regular intervals it'll burn brighter for longer.

So, that's one of the first aims: you're going to want to eat frequently. That goes against instinctual advice, I know, but trust me on this. So ideally that'll mean breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Even if it means a small nibble on something it's better than nothing.

Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day. You've been starving your body all night, so now's the time to replenish fuel supplies.

Processed food is bad. The more processed a food is, the less good stuff it has in it and the less good it'll be for you. What's processed food? Anything white/ out of a box/ with more than five ingredients (sounds rather drastic I know, and I wouldn't dream of trying to convert you straight away but where possibly try and choose a healthier alternative to something you just *know* isn't good for you!)

You're probably cursing me to the heavens by now and wondering what the hell kind of plan I'm trying to come up with, but I promise you it's simple:

Breakfast: continue with the smoothie + yoghurt but add a piece of fruit (providing fibre). Alternatively a couple of pieces of wholemeal toast. Add peanut butter if you like (lots of good fats). Or beans.

Snack: keep a bag of unsalted nuts at your desk and graze on them. Or a bag of dried fruit. Or regular fruit. Or a wholemeal scone. Or even a glass of milk!

Lunch: I'm guessing you'll be going to a deli or a sandwich bar so choose a brown bread option with meats and salads. If you need something else to fill you up try and choose healthier options like a side of fruit. Coming into winter a nice big warming bowl of soup is always a tasty option.

Snack: as before

Dinner: pasta, tomato sauce and chicken breast. Rice, tikka sauce and meat. Stir-fry meat and vegetables. Good ol' fashioned meat n' veg. There's *loads* of dinner options available but we can get to that later.

Instead of constantly snacking on chocolate and crisps, snack on fruit, nuts and popcorn. Drinking lots of water will help flush you out too.

How's this sounding so far?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, thanks all of you. Most of that doesnt sound TOO awful. I like fresh fruit and will increase my intake of that. I like Pistachio nuts and Cashew nuts too, so I'll start eating a bag of those (I had it in my head they were full of bad oils but if not, I'm happy).

My two favourite take outs are Thai noodles which are fried noodles with lots of veg and chicken, beef and prawn. It seems freshly cooked but I dunno how good that is for me. And Indian, chicken smoothered in fresh sauce and pillau rice. Both are reasonably well cooked and fresh so I dunno if they are ok or not. For now I will try and replace a couple of them with home cooking if I can. This week will be a disaster as I am on the road but I'll see what I can do.

Breakfast ala Neuro sounds actually ok! I'll go with the fruit option rather then the muesli.

Lunch: Its fresh chicken and lettuce/tomato on white bread. I'll try and stomach brown bread but it tastes like cardboard to me :)

Salads: Salads are what food eats. I'll go with the fresh fruit and nuts.

Sweets: Oh boy... I'll try and cut down. I can easily (very easily) polish off two bags of gummy bears (the big bags :) ), a litre of club orange, a bar or two of Cadburys and packet of Winegums watching a movie at night. That wouldn't be at all out of the ordinary on a daily basis. It might explain why I occasionally think I'm a hummingbird (ala Apu!).

Cooking: the problem is that I mostly work from home which means I am not out and about near the shops. My local is a Centra and doesnt have a great selection so I usually phone out because I'm under pressure anyway. I will try my best to rectify this but it will be the hardest change I think. Well, after the sweets :)

Ok, so today is the first day of the rest of my life, lets see where this goes...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My two favourite take outs are Thai noodles which are fried noodles with lots of veg and chicken, beef and prawn. It seems freshly cooked but I dunno how good that is for me.

Fried noodles may be tasty but they are very carby and will also have soaked up fats/oils from the cooking process. Try replacing with steamed rice at the very least (brown rice if the takeaway does it).
    And Indian, chicken smoothered in fresh sauce and pillau rice. Both are reasonably well cooked and fresh so I dunno if they are ok or not
    Indian cooking can be based on the use of ghee which is clarified butter. Again, not something that you want to have too much of.

Breakfast ala Neuro sounds actually ok! I'll go with the fruit option rather then the muesli.

I'd personally stay away from the fruit smoothie that you're currently having. Blended and mushed fruit like that has had all the fruit sugars released from the cells and as a consequence the sugar is more rapidly ingested. Eat the fruit the natural way to enjoy the full benefits.

Sweets: Oh boy... I'll try and cut down. I can easily (very easily) polish off two bags of gummy bears (the big bags :) ), a litre of club orange, a bar or two of Cadburys and packet of Winegums watching a movie at night. That wouldn't be at all out of the ordinary on a daily basis. It might explain why I occasionally think I'm a hummingbird (ala Apu!).

Hang on a moment, sweet jebus! That's a tonne of sugar (and calories) to which to subject your poor body. While you may not be feeling the weight effects, you're setting yourself up for diabetes and related issues down the road.

I'm not trying to discourage you. You're smart and you can read and digest information just as well as the rest of us. It's not easy to make changes to diet.

Currently I'm starting to run again so that I can get back into full-time training and my diet is also being cleaned out as well. It's no fun when the other half is sitting on sofa saying that he wants chips.

Good luck. Willpower is half the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'm trying to improve what I eat lately too.
    Most important thing I've found is shopping. Go to the supermarket no more than 3 times a week. Be disciplined and don't buy crappy foods. Fill your trolley with the ingredients for all the dinners you will eat before your next shopping trip. I.e. good quality mince, chicken breasts, plenty of fresh veg, cans of chopped tomatoes, etc.

Ask yore ma, or someone who is good at cooking for simple instructions on making simple non-full-of-crap dinners.
    Avoid going to the shop every day, don't buy the stuff for your dinners/meals in Centra.

I bought a blender, make yourself a smoothie every morning, frozen berries are cheap, add a banana+OJ. I've always been bad at eating fruit, smoothies make it easier. Have porridge or muesli with it.

Anyway, biggest factor I found in improving on eating healthy stuff was the shopping part. If your fridge is filled with less crap, you eat less crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

And don't go shopping when hungry!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I can easily (very easily) polish off two bags of gummy bears (the big bags :) ), a litre of club orange, a bar or two of Cadburys and packet of Winegums watching a movie at night. That wouldn't be at all out of the ordinary on a daily basis.

jesus Tom, that's outrageous and will eventually do serious damage to your health as dudara said already. Your body can't take that much sugar, if you change nothing else, cut out that sugar intake asap. If you are desperate for something to chew on, get some grapes or summit.
    How's the size of your freezer?
    I tend to make home made soups in large amounts and put them in the freezer. I do the same with other meals, beef Beef Bourguignon for example, I cook loads and defrost as required.
    It's great if you don't have the time to cook.

As lafortezza said, shopping is important. I do one weekly shop, I get enough ingredients to last for a week of dinners. Fillet steak, mince, chicken fillets, eggs. Veg. I also make my own lunches for work. Loads of fruit. I never buy sweets or the like.
    My only vice is red wine and perhaps one bag of crisps for friday night.
    Doing one weekly shop like the above means that you have no crap in your house and as you have food there, there's no need to go out and buy crap.
    Like yourself, if there was crap in the house, I'd eat it, the above prevents me from doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Doing one weekly shop like the above means that you have no crap in your house and as you have food there, there's no need to go out and buy crap.
    Like yourself, if there was crap in the house, I'd eat it, the above prevents me from doing so.

Ditto the above. Just don't buy the crap. If it's not there, you can't eat it. In fact, my parents and my little sis visited me recently. I was actually embarassed that I had nothing sweet in the house to offer them with their tea. They had to make do with a paprika pork stew. My little sis is a sugar addict (chocolate spread on toast for breakfast, 7-up throughout the day etc) and I think she won't be coming back to visit me again in a hurry.

• Advertisement

I love it when ruthie talks all mammy to me ... rowr! :)

So, I have switched the gummybears for yogurt-covered hazelnuts. Havent tried them yet. I bought strawberry yogurt for yesterdays breakfast but its still sitting in the fridge. I hadn't started till today though, officially :p

I take the point about the shopping and I agree, I need to stack the house full of good stuff because as addicted as I am to sugar, I'm MORE of a lazy git and if it saves me a walk to the centra, I'll eat whats in the fridge first.

I dont have a freezer so thats a problem but I think I'll sort out breakfast and lunch first before tackling dinner! One step at a time Lord Jebus!

I'll periodically update this thread with how things are going, as much to force me to be good as to let others who are thinking along my lines know how things go.

Many thanks to everyone who has chipped in.

DeV.

ps: just tried those yogurt-covered hazelnuts, they're not at all bad! I could live with eating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

One easy and delicious healthy recipe:

Tomatoey stew thing/Pasta sauce

One/Two can of chopped tomatoes (can be bought in Lidl for as little as 30c!)
    Cherry tomatoes
    Garlic-as much as you like
    Chillies/chilli powder (optional if you like spicey)
    any other veg of your choice. I like to use baby corn and mange tout or sugarsnap peas, and sliced peppers
    Fresh Basil (buy the plant, it's cheaper and keeps longer)
    Optional-chicken pieces and/or Bacon
    Parmesan cheese or grated mozzerella/white cheddar (not too much)
    pasta of your choice optional, or eat as a stew.

Chop the bacon into little squares and fry on a low heat using olive oil. Throw in some chopped garlic. Chop some chicken fillet into small pieces too and throw in to cook until pink is gone from the inside.

Open 1-2 cans of chopped tomatoes and pour into a pot and heat on gentle to mid heat.

Throw everything else in there and let it stew. Throw in more fresh garlic, if you like :)

Put cherry tomatoes in halfway through. Chop in half first.
    I use these only for texture. When they burst in your mouth it is just divine.

When you are satisfied with flavour serve in a bowl on its own or with past, sprinkle some cheese and eat :D

Yum

Note: A Horse couldn't drag me to tomatoes before I tried this, now I love them. Natures superfood, apparantly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

ps: just tried those yogurt-covered hazelnuts, they're not at all bad! I could live with eating them.

I'l have to try them. I have a reasonably good diet apart from a near fetish for sour jellies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So, I have switched the gummybears for yogurt-covered hazelnuts.

Bear in mind that that yogurt covering is quite high in sugar too. If you look closely at a bag with a label, it's generally described as "yogurt flavour topping". Don't just replace all the other stuff you're eating with a similar volume of yogurt covered stuff.

Faith wrote: »
    Don't just replace all the other stuff you're eating with a similar volume of yogurt covered stuff.

Agreed, but one thing at a time.

Mixed unsalted nuts > Yoghurt convered hazelnuts > Gummy bears

It's a step in the right direction. Just keep heading in that direction and you'll get there in the end ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anyone mentioned the food pyramid thingy?

(edited cos g'em knows better)

The diet that is best for you is also the cheapest by a mile.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Yeah on the shopping thing well i have found if i dont go shopping and come home hungry well its easier to call Dominos.

Just some ideas,

But roasted breast of chicken with mixed roasted vegetables. All you need to do is pre-heat the oven. Get the chicken breast, drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil with mixed herbs on it, wrap in tinfoil. chop the vegetables and do the same thing with the oil and herbs. Chuck it into the oven for 50-60mins and there you go. The best bit about meals like this well apart from the taste, less cleaning up that a chinese!

Seriously the thing for me was to experiment in the kitchen and get use to cooking some tasty food, now i have handy options available for dinner which means that when i am starving, i can get some good tasty food.

Also cooking food at home is a lot cheaper than take-aways etc, so you end up with extra cash so its another benifit.

mike65 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the food pyramid thingy?

That's the old pyramid, conveniently sponsored by the American Crop Protection Agency. I prefer the one independently drawn up by the Harvard School of Public Health - mroe emphasis on exercise, good oils, vegetables and fruit:

newhealthypyramid.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I love it when ruthie talks all mammy to me ... rowr! :)

:p
    I dont have a freezer so thats a problem

Well you could still do enough stew or beef bourguignon to last you 2/3 days in your normal fridge then.
    Also, pasta, rice, couscous, tinned tomatoes will last for ages, get yourself some spices, peppercorns, mixed herbs, paprika etc... You can make a meal out of nothing with a bit of imagination.

Learn to read the ingredients on packaging, dextrose is also sugar and sometimes you'll see both which means there's double the amount in the product. In fact, am I right in saying that anything ending in 'ose' is a type of sugar?
    They're sneaky fukers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Some days you're not too busy to cook make enough for a few days and freeze them to reheat on the days you're too busy.:)

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    In fact, am I right in saying that anything ending in 'ose' is a type of sugar?
    They're sneaky fukers like that.
    lol, yup :D

Dextrose and glucose are simple sugars, and tend to be the type we keep to a minimum (the whole GI thing). Fructose (fruit sugars) and lactose (milk sugars) and other food sugars don't have the same GI influence and so needn't be worried about too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Super thread, very sad reading, because i'd have the same diet as DeVore...

I'll gladly post here too, maybe we can spur each other on?

I'm a single 27yr old male, 6' 2" and about 14-15 stone (varies), again single and dont cook half as much as i should!

I've recently (1 week ago) started having Sultana Bran for brekkie, although i'd only have brekkie during the week, skipping it on weekends due to being asleep!

Lunch in general would be a toasted ham and cheese samitch :P on white bread with butter, or a footlong subway with ham, bacon, pepperoni and cheese toasted, on the italian herbs and cheese bread with mayo and a tiny bit of lettuce...

I'd regularly get a bar of chocolate and can of coke as a snack, and come home and either skip dinner - used to happen quite regularly although i've been a lot better recently. When i do eat dinner it can range from:

a bag of ceasar salad with 2 chicken breasts in a stir in sauce along with 5/6 pieces of bacon mixed in (split between 2)

2 chicken breasts in soup over wholegrain rice

lasagne

pizza (oven cook or dominos)

chinese

I'd also drink quite a lot of beer, but i could replace this with red wine...

I hate nuts too...

ok i'm going to lunch, DeVore best of look with the turn around, let me know how its going... I'm off to order a toasted ham and cheese on brown bread!

thread subscribed to! :)

Magic Pips, you are welcome to join me on my voyage of discovering the myriad things one can put yogurt on! :)

I'm sitting here, gobbling down strawberry Glenisk right at the moment!

I'm off on one of my regular poker expeditions which usually means I end up eating what everyone else is eating en masse (chicken curry with rice being the usual fare). Being on the road can play havoc with the diet but we shall see how well I can do.

I've also quit smoking since I've had a chest infection for over a week and figured since I was this far, I might as well keep going.

DeV.

I've also quit smoking since I've had a chest infection for over a week and figured since I was this far, I might as well keep going.
    A massive congratulations on this. It's bloody hard work giving up the fags but so, so worth it.

If you're on the road and finding it hard to eat right, just try your best to opt for the healthiest alternative you can find and get back on track once you're home again.

+1 on the congrats on getting off the smokes - luckily i've never got into them.

The poker expedition raises a question... how many treats can one have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

I like to have one treat a week , eat clean all week then have a pizza or a few beers (or both) at the weekend. Makes it even more enjoyable because you have been looking forward to it.

Best of luck with the voyage DeVore.

P.S. Are you exercising ? Or are we saving that for another thread ?

How goes the following (at a safe distance) of the wagon? I didnt do too well over the weekend...

Damn you burger king, dominos and MR Heineken :o

Well, good and bad.....

I stayed off the cigs all weekend. Not a SINGLE ONE!! I was disgustingly self satisfied about that I must admit. I think I'm going on almost 2 weeks without one now but since I want to never smoke again, I aint keeping count. I have had one or two bad cravings but have thankfully not had smokes available.

I ate good, high quality restaurant food which is at least better then trash. Two of them were indian meals but they were good quality food and freshly cooked. I drank a lot of juices and ate some fruit but I also guzzled hot whiskeys to fend off the cold symptoms I have had for a week. I'm trying to eat better, I dont really drink a lot normally (most days, nothing at all) but on occasion I like a few whiskeys or guinness.

As for exercise, I *am* trying to get fit again after a period of inactivity which is beginning to show over my jeans. I wouldnt say I was fat but I dont want to GET fat so I bought an exercise bike. Unfortunately due to the cold/cough and the traveling I havent used it much. These things work by osmosis though... right?

I have another trip on next Tuesday to Malta for two weeks which means more well cooked food but also more weight I expect.

I have fallen off the wagon a good few times and indulged in sausage sambos for breakfast on occasion but more often then not I have stuck to yogurt and fruit. Thats al least better then before... which was um, never.

Snacking, on the other hand, has been a relatively easy switch. I haven't guzzled gummy bears and bars of chocolate since we started this. I've eaten yogurt nuts (actually quite nice), nuts and satsumas. I've found I like flavoured water as much as Coke. Ok, not quite as much but more then enough to do.

Dinner is still up in the air as I haven't been home much since the start. Last night I ate half a meat deluxe pizza from 4 star and didnt even think about it until this afternoon, its just such a routine for me. I must, and will, do better.

Finally, I think I should explain that I don't really HAVE to do this. ie: I'm not over weight (about 11.5 stone) and I dont have any medical reason to do it buuuut, I want to be healthy and have more energy, so I don't look at this as being something I could "fail" at as even one clean meal a week is an improvement on what I used to eat. So, if I have a week of 2-3 bad meals I'm not going to beat myself up. Just try each week to improve and see how I feel as things go on.

The worst thing is this cold/cough. I feel dreadful and am just overcoming it. It means I don't know if I feel better for this healthy eating attempt yet. I wouldnt imagine so but we shall see.

So, so far so good! I give myself a B-

DeV.

Dev, you're doing an amazing job so kudos to you.
    I stayed off the cigs all weekend. Not a SINGLE ONE!! I was disgustingly self satisfied about that I must admit.
    lol, you're perfectly entitled to be a bit smug about this, it's a huge deal. I'm off them 8 weeks now and survived a ridiculously stressful weekend (the one just gone) without one and I've been telling anyone who'll listen how great I am for it. There's no such thing as "just one last ciggie...", either you're a non-smoker or a smoker, and it sounds like you're definitely considering yourself the former.
    DeVore wrote:
    Finally, I think I should explain that I don't really HAVE to do this. ie: I'm not over weight (about 11.5 stone) and I dont have any medical reason to do it buuuut, I want to be healthy and have more energy, so I don't look at this as being something I could "fail" at as even one clean meal a week is an improvement on what I used to eat. So, if I have a week of 2-3 bad meals I'm not going to beat myself up. Just try each week to improve and see how I feel as things go on.
    This is undoubtedly the most positive frame of mind you can have towards the situation. Wanting to be healthy and have more energy are teh primary reasons for eating good food, it's the way our bodies want to feel. By setting up a win/lose sitiuation as many people do when they're losing weight it can cause all sorts of guilt and remorse when you indulge in crappy food. But hey, it happens, just make a bigger effort to keep things clean for a couple of days.

I'm quite sure you're providing some great inspiration for other people in similar situations so keep up the great work.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're doing well, i've managed to stay away from the treats for the most part - the vending machine in work is constantly taunting me though i shall resist.

I have managed to get back into football and am back playing twice a week at a fairly high tempo too, the next step is to start doin a few weights, nothing crazy just light reps to get me started!

Advertisement