Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10Gb Cap

Options
  • 13-11-2007 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a just started a trial and i have a usage cap of 10Gb.

Problem is i don't know how much this is?!
    I dont download music or movies or play any games online - i would just be viewing webpages, emailing (although i do get alot of attachments in emails) and watching videos on youtube...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TT&TO

you tube will eat into the cap - stay away. although, 10g should be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Youtube won't eat into the cap that much. I doubt you could go over 10Gb in a month just watching YouTube videos. Unless you're a heavy downloader with various P2P programs (especially BitTorrent as it makes multiple connections to the outside world) then you should be fine. I'm curious, are you sure this is a free trial and not 'first x amount of months free' deal?

Had that issue with NTL in the past. When they first rolled out broadband it was a 3 month free trial, and then they changed their Ts&Cs to 'first three months free'. You may already be tied into a contact, you'd wanna doublecheck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

i have 14 days to take everything back if i'm not happy with it to get a full refund of what i paid. so everyone thinks i shouldnt go over the cap too easy?? I was just getting nervous that i would get a huge bill in the post because as i've seen on other threads - it does happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's 10GB.

b = bits
    B = bytes

1MB =
    * 300 plain text emails (no attachments)
    * 25 internet page views from a laptop (varies according to size of page) or,
    * 200 mobile web page views from your PDA or mobile phone (text only).
    (these figures are approximate)

3 and O2 both give you methods to check your usage online. It's 24/48 hours behind your actual usage but it will also help you gauge your usage. 3 will charge you once you hit the cap. O2 won't charge you without giving you notice first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

What's the most basic Eircom download limit anyone know?

A youTube video is what? 12MB? So you can listen to nearly 100 songs a month with a 10GB limit, no?

• Advertisement

I don't know what you base your youtube filesize on. They could be anything from 50KB to 500MB and beyond. That's no sure fire way to tell what you're using by guessing like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

yeah you're right of course - the files are all different sizes. I generally listen to music videos and have downloaded a couple of songs which have ended up around 10MB.

I have to admit I don't understand the download limit business :( - does it refer to streaming too?! i.e. how much bandwidth you actually consume per second?

If your cap is with 3/Vodafone/O2 then your "usage cap" is including upload and download.

The act of viewing a webpage is uploading and downloading. You are sending requests to the website to get information and it's sending it back to you. As content is displayed on the webpage photos / files / text is downloaded to a temporary storage location on your PC which your browser then displays the files from.

So yes, anything you do on the internet is using your bandwidth. Viewing a webpage or streaming is "downloading".

In your example your music file is 10MB.
    1GB = 1024MB
    10GB = 10x 1024MB

So you can download roughly 1024 of these 10MB files.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I just checked my download stats on my modem with o2. 17 gigs download 6 upload.

Lets hope that I don't get a warning :S

I've checked their T + Cs and can't see any details about what they charge for going over but it says they have to inform you before they can charge you so I should be ok.

From what I recall they would not be automatically charging customers but would instead have a policy which enables them to charge abusers.

It's just the first time ive had nearly broadband in over a year so I went a bit crazy...

X

Xcellor wrote: »
    I just checked my download stats on my modem with o2. 17 gigs download 6 upload.

Lets hope that I don't get a warning :S

I've checked their T + Cs and can't see any details about what they charge for going over but it says they have to inform you before they can charge you so I should be ok.

From what I recall they would not be automatically charging customers but would instead have a policy which enables them to charge abusers.

It's just the first time ive had nearly broadband in over a year so I went a bit crazy...

X
    The Fair Usage policy for O2 'Broadband on the Move' is designed to ensure customers have a good broadband experience. The policy enables O2 to manage excessive use by individual customers as this can impact the general speed and reliability of the Broadband service. The fair usage threshold/limit for O2 Broadband customers is 10GB per month. If you exceed this threshold/limit then O2 reserve the right to introduce an excess usage charge of 10c per MB. We will notify you in advance as to when the excess usage charge will be applied. If you then continure to exceed the fair usage threshold then O2 reserve the right to modify, suspend or terminate your service.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I've tried to check my usage on o2 but its been down since I received the modem so not been able to.

I haven't had a call from o2 yet about my usage.. i won't forget to turn off shareza again....

What's been down? I check mine daily and all is as it should be.

Try calling customer care on 1850 601740 if you're having problems checking your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

ciaranfo wrote: »
    b = bits
    B = bytes

FYI, this is an informal definition only, it's not a hard-and-fast rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I take it from the 10G cap and the 14 day trial that this is 3 mobile broadband. This being the case, you won't get anywhere near the 10G so I wouldn't worry about it. Do yourself a massive favor and bring it back now. Read the huge 3 Ireland complaints thread at the top of this forum to see what kind of problems you can expect.

Yeah i have read that hread already and just tried the 3 broadband to see would i experience any problem where i am. i'm a college student and go home at the weekends so i'm gonna take it home tomorrow to see will it work at home. I havent experienced anything really bad from 3 yet, i have full coverage anytime i use it. I will however check the o2 broadband next week to see will is it any better coverage at home than 3.

If 3 broadband is ok at home i'l probably keep it as i havent experienced any problems so far. but is this the case - work for a while then not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dlambirl wrote: »
    work for a while then not??

Some of the people on the other thread seemed to suggest that it worked fine during the trial, then went practically unusable after the two weeks was up. Don't know if this is deliberate on 3's part or not, I'd imagine they try give priority to new users for a while to encourage them to stay. Once you're locked in it'll be difficult (though not impossible) to get out without paying a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

FYI, this is an informal definition only, it's not a hard-and-fast rule.

Yes it is a hard rule , lower case b is bits and upper case is Bytes , always has been , and doubly so on any statement of intended usage limits and charges , there can be no ambiguity in cases like that , it must be clear.

Oh i dont like the sound of that! Its been working fine since i got it a couple of days ago and the speed has been ok:

[IMG][/img]202475769.png

I would be very disappointed if it didnt work as well after the two week trial but time will tell over the weekend weither it wil work at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

dlambirl wrote: »
    Oh i dont like the sound of that! Its been working fine since i got it a couple of days ago and the speed has been ok:

[IMG][/img]202475769.png

I would be very disappointed if it didnt work as well after the two week trial but time will tell over the weekend weither it wil work at home

The service is an improving one, but still with some problems. The 3 Broadband sticky has got so huge at this stage that it is hard to find the posts that provide work-arounds for the common problems, so if you don't fancy trawling thru 3,000 + pages try www.3broadband.info

This link should tell you how much of your 10GB you have used. Not sure why, but it works for some and not for others.

Advertisement