Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone buys Perlico

Options
  • 13-11-2007 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Just heard that Vodafone has bought Perlico - interesting to see what impact it has on consumers (if any!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

35notout wrote: »
    Just heard that Vodafone has bought Perlico - interesting to see what impact it has on consumers (if any!)

I remember some poster here a few weeks ago saying its going to be one of those huge mobile companies that will kick eircom and its awful broadband into touch in the not so distant future :)

Good sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Perlico only a reseller, so it's hardly a massive consolidation of eircom competition.
    Now if they had bought Smart, Magnet & IBB...
    Or BT had bought Irish branch of Vodaphone (I think Orange sold some part of itself recently so it does happen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is gonna throw spanners into the Perlico/3 deal no doubt ... can only lead to more reliable service as far as broadband goes though - we hope ...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

3/Perlico deal terminated...Voda/Perlico mobile deal early spring apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Only good news for customers in my opinion, Dsl+home phone+Mobile phone+mobile broadband will probably kick off a bit of a bundle competition, The only company who can compete with them at the moment is Eircom/Meteor, though I can see that changing very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think I remember reading that Vodafone approached Smart when they were going through all those financial problems a few months back.

Hopefully we will start to see offers like those that have been about in the UK and Europe for the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I think I remember reading that Vodafone approached Smart when they were going through all those financial problems a few months back.

Hopefully we will start to see offers like those that have been about in the UK and Europe for the past few months.

What offers are those?

broadband,home phone,mobile all in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

starting to get fined for excessive downloading now all of a sudden dl cap is 12gb a month if you go over it a 40 euro fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have got my first fine :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dave1982 wrote: »
    starting to get fined for excessive downloading now all of a sudden dl cap is 12gb a month if you go over it a 40 euro fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have got my first fine :mad:

Well Vodafone are very strict on the cap for their mobile broadband, so perhaps it's this influence on the Perlico DSL customers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You agreed to the terms and conditions when you signed up to their service. Didn't you read them? Thought not... so what's your problem exactly? You agreed to the terms of service and agreed to let them fine you should you go over the download cap. I can understand your anger but again, what's your problem exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Seeing as Perlico was selling their service at a loss, I'd expect them to charge lots for exceeding cap. I prefer the "throttle" system. No unexpected huge bills a month later.

Achilles wrote: »
    You agreed to the terms and conditions when you signed up to their service. Didn't you read them? Thought not... so what's your problem exactly? You agreed to the terms of service and agreed to let them fine you should you go over the download cap. I can understand your anger but again, what's your problem exactly?

My problem excatly is that ive always gone over my dl limit and was never fined now vodafone get involved i do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You could complain the first time it happens and they might give you a bit off since you weren't charged in the past but they do probably say they charge for going over and you did go over so you are guilty and they are allowed enforce an existing policy even if they weren't previously.

I just find this funny that Mobile companies are buying land line companies. So are O2 going to end up buying BT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Achilles wrote: »

doesn't make it any more of a rip off. they hide some details of a fine in some massively long bloated legal text and expect everybody to read that ****e. why cant these companies just provide broadband without a big long list of terms and conditions? the fact that they even feel the need to write one is a sign of over-regulation. time to move to some other country i think, the broadband is **** here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well the BB is crap in this country but all countries have those terms and conditions.

How the hell do you expect them to provide a service without them. They have to protect themselves against law suits. They aren't that long and are easily readable albeit an unpleasant read.

Every country will have this list of conditions so people can't sue them every time something goes down or the weather knocks off their service. Seriously how could you expect a company to provide a service without these conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My problem excatly is that ive always gone over my dl limit and was never fined now vodafone get involved i do

You could probably fight this if you wanted to do it.

Did Perlico make you aware of the limit when you signed up? Did you actually sign anything? Did they point out the T&Cs either in print or by emailing them or a link to you? Did they tell you what the charge would be up front? Do Perlico give you an accurate and reliable method of checking your allowance and did they point this out to you at any time? Were you warned when you reached the limit?

If the answer to any or all of these questions is no then you may have grounds to fight the charge. Be stubborn, refuse to pay, but don't be ignorant or abusive. They might let you off and they might terminate your contact, in which case just use a different provider (eircom, IBB or better again Smart).

jor el wrote: »
    You could probably fight this if you wanted to do it.

Did Perlico make you aware of the limit when you signed up? Did you actually sign anything? Did they point out the T&Cs either in print or by emailing them or a link to you? Did they tell you what the charge would be up front? Do Perlico give you an accurate and reliable method of checking your allowance and did they point this out to you at any time? Were you warned when you reached the limit?

If the answer to any or all of these questions is no then you may have grounds to fight the charge. Be stubborn, refuse to pay, but don't be ignorant or abusive. They might let you off and they might terminate your contact, in which case just use a different provider (eircom, IBB or better again Smart).

Only time i was warned was when my bill went up by 40euro for broadband and i rang themto know why my bill had changed as i have it as a bundle set price a month and they explained i exceeded my dl limit of 6 gb this was when i was on 1mb.So i decided to go to 2 mb broadband as my speeds on 1mb was slow so i went to 2mb and again next month charged again for excessive use of downloads by 3 gbs allowed 12 dl 15.43 so i asked about leaving i got my 1mb bb in janurary of this year for 12mnt contract so i asked to confirm this and he said no when you changed to 2mb we cancelled your old contract and created new one from october

Advertisement