Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firstlaw.ie what are your thoughts

• 13-11-2007 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I was wondering your honest opinions were of firts law . ie . Is it inexpensive or is it really worth the fee. Roughly 540 euro - 700 euro and a huge discount for students. Is there an alternative or would the library be a beter alternative.Is it available in Griffith college,

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Its pretty good along with westlaw and justis, I'd have thought most good legal colleges would have group access to it.

PS: Don't know, I'm not affiliated with GCD, but if its not it should be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I use www.justis.com & www.courts.ie.

I never saw the point in the other ones.

:)

The Citator is not at all bad on westlaw, saves a long period checking statute and indexes, then again Sweet and Maxwell are about a year behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I use justis, courts.ie and lexis-nexis (the last one is least used since it's so powerful).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I use Firstlaw.ie for the EAT judgements - I'm not aware if they are available elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Silverfox

I use Westlaw and Justis. They primarily have the IRs and IRLMs along with loads of other stuff between them and either Bailii or Irlii can usually cover what they don't have. I find Firstlaw a nightmare to use (although I also feel this way about Lexis) and avoid unless I can't find what I'm looking for absolutely anywhere else. And even then, it's unlikely to be on Firstlaw if it's nowhere else to be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I have just signed up for westlaw so I will be able to make comparisons between them.The thread was because i was wondering if first law was worth the investment. To be honest it is a great source of legal dairies etc, and weekly and sometimes daily judgements.I do have difficulties searching for cases sometimes although they are there just difficult to source.I have also discovered that sometimes you can find a case ( pre 1997 ) and other times its not there.It's bewildering.

As mentioned above, the citator is brilliant also. It saves countless hours in a library. Its listed under Annotated Statutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

GCD currently has subscriptions to LexisNexis, Westlaw.ie and Westlaw UK . I believe there are talks about adding justis to that also.
    I find westlaw, bialli and courts.ie to throw up most of what I need though.
    I have heard that Justis is fast becoming the standard as the reports are facsimile's of the actual judgements rather than juniors reporting them. So there are less occurrences of mistakes etc.
    Personally I wouldn't pay for most of the subscription services as a large percentage of cases are available through non subscription sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

I'm a fan of westlaw myself, though I have access to a huge amount of material through my Athens login at UCD. If anybody needs anything in particular searched I would be more than happy to help.

First post on the board, I've had problems gaining access for longer than you would believe. Anyway, I'm a final year law student at UCD and i'm looking forward to some interesting discussions in the coming year.

Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

LexisNexis is a pain for Irish cases and Westlaw is good for some cases but not so good for articles. GCD also have HeinOnline which (maybe it's just me) doesn't seem to be too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Actually for advanced legal research (especially at PhD level) HeinOnLine is brilliant because it has PDFs of the journals for readability and pagination are excellent. I find the search facility shockingly bad there though!!

Advertisement