Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing fuse box

Options
  • 13-11-2007 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm living in a house built in the early 70s and want to replace the old-style fuse box with a modern trip-switch type.

Can ye give any recommendations on the typical cost of such a job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

Hi,
    I was just in the same position - and with gettin a new fuse box you generally have to rewire the house - now thats what I have been told and thats what is happening in my house lucky enough my bro is a lecky so hes doin it for us!

Now I went and bought all the electric bits and bobs from an electrical wholesaler and saved a bundle so if you know what your doing go and get the supplies yourself! And waffle to the who ever is the seller and they will gebnerally cut you a deal!

Thats just my experience so far!
    GOOD LUCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd say anywhere from 350 to 550 euro , if your wiring can stand up to it!!

anyway regardless it is best to change them

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

350 plus vat would cover it for most houses.
    That would cover the new consumer unit, better to let the sparks get it for you.
    Always better to have the guy doing the work supply the equipment.
    You might need more MCBs than what you get on a standard board depending how much work has been done on the house.
    NB, doesn't mean you need to rewire the house, although the new RCD might expose existing faults.
    Good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

TBH donaghs, if your house was wired in the 70's then it may need re-wiring, consult an electrician. Actually consult a few of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Thanks for the tips guys, guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, call a few sparks and find the cash to do it. Not looking forward to the idea of a complete re-wire...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Let us know what's recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

donaghs wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips guys, guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, call a few sparks and find the cash to do it. Not looking forward to the idea of a complete re-wire...

Like most of the others, I'd recomend you lok at rewiring too.

By coincidence, I was over in my dad's house, built in 1971, and had to replace a lamp holder in the hall, and I noticed that the wiring would definitely not pass current standards - I think copper must have been in short supply at the time :rolleyes:

Advertisement