Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Elite or not to Elite? Opinions folks

• 13-11-2007 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so my 360 is currently in for repair and I was thinking that when I get it back of just trading it in for an Elite

The console has broken twice now and probably will again

So with the downloadable games the 120 gig hard drive is now a real option. Should I tade it for an elite??

So reasons why I would like to trade in premium for the elite:
    More reliable hardware (hopefully)
    Bigger hard drive going forward
    HDMI port for my television

Reasosns against trading in:
    Cost (I have no kids or mortgage so I can afford it)
    Data transfer( how do I get all my save games etc across to the new hard drive, anyone want to sell a cable to me)

So what do you folks think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Well first off, HDMI is available on Premiums as of July, and there's no guarantee of more reliable hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Elite all the way. It's true that the pro 360 comes with a HDMI port now, but no HDMI Cable and more importantly it doesn't have the optical out dongle that comes with the Elite. This cable will be around €40 or €50. If you look at it that way you're getting the 120gb hdd for €60 which is a nice price, especially with the fall update sweetness approaching.

If you're trading in I believe that gamestop do the best deal. They have/had? an offer where you trade in your 360 premium and get the Elite for 199 and you get €100 worth of vouchers. However I think you get €260 credit for the 360 premium on it's own (i did in september anyway) and if you take this and buy the elite separately (not as part of the deal) it costs the same but you get a free game, or you can add 40 spuds and get any game and blue dragon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I'm thinking of the same thing, but what will they look at when they check your premium 360? I changed the case on mine (still have the original), will that matter?

depends on how clued in the staff are. I'd imagine that they check to warranty seals and if broken will tell you to take a hike. Functionally they (at the least) plug them in and test the drive mechanism.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If you have a surround system, then optical out dongle that comes with the Elite makes a massive difference. I bought the little cable that connects the Xbox (and the PS3) to my surround system for about 8 euro in Game, and the difference it makes in the enjoyment of my games is unbelievable.

Also with the Elite, the 120Gb drive will be essential once all the HD movies are made ready for download before Christmas.

Finally, you get the HDMI cable in the box.

So If you have a little extra money, get the Elite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'd for the Elite for the HDD space, you fill the 20GB with a few demos and find yourself constantly deleting old content to put new content on it. Its a pain in the hole to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have the elite and am very happy with it..I only wish though that I could copy movies/music across to it from my pc rather than having to stream it..
    Haven't used the live yet as I'm waiting to move and get broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Ditto, I've got the Elite myself. Nice to see that in the new update on December 4th you'll be able to download full versions of Xbox Original Games. These will eat up the space on the premium models quite quickly, so it's nice to have the extra space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok but how do I transfer the data on my old hard drive to the new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I borrowed a memory card to copy the game saves, the downloads can be done again on the new box.

FYI though, Gamestop will transfer your data if you ask them. I know that Gamestop in Bray do this.

Cheers

• Advertisement

not all gamestops do this. When I enquired in Limerick they wouldn't do it then and had no plans for doing it in the future. It's a bit of a pain but at the end of the day most games that I've finished I've sold or traded and the ones i haven't I won't mind playing again.

not all gamestops do this. When I enquired in Limerick they wouldn't do it then and had no plans for doing it in the future. It's a bit of a pain but at the end of the day most games that I've finished I've sold or traded and the ones i haven't I won't mind playing again.

Fcuk it would be limerick I would be trading in alright

I suppose you're right though the only save game I would miss is my half life 1 save game. I could always put that on a memory card first before trading though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

Well I was just on to GameStop to confirm what they give on a trade-in,

If you trade in an Xbox 360 premium you get store credit of 260 euro.
    The Xbox 360 Elite is 460 euro with a free game crackdown or Gears of war
    So you pay 200 euro.

They have a 500 euro Elite deal which comes with two games, Blue Dragon and a choice of any other game. So this will cost you 240 euro with your Xbox premium trade-in.

Also he said they have second hand memory cards for 20 euro which you could always trade back in when you’re done with them.

Markjf wrote: »
    Well I was just on to GameStop to confirm what they give on a trade-in,

If you trade in an Xbox 360 premium you get store credit of 260 euro.
    The Xbox 360 Elite is 460 euro with a free game crackdown or Gears of war
    So you pay 200 euro.

They have a 500 euro Elite deal which comes with two games, Blue Dragon and a choice of any other game. So this will cost you 240 euro with your Xbox premium trade-in.

Also he said they have second hand memory cards for 20 euro which you could always trade back in when you’re done with them.

Thanks for the specifics dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

You can get a cable off Microsoft for transferring your data from the old HDD to the new one also.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Thanks for the specifics dude.

No problem,

I am very tempted myself to upgrade to the Elite.
    My system is running fine but its got a temperamental DVD drive which refuses to eject sometimes and knowing my luck that’s what would happen in the shop:(

mcgovern wrote: »
    You can get a cable off Microsoft for transferring your data from the old HDD to the new one also.

that means i have to have both consoles in my possesion though for a period of time.

like will the game shop let me buy an elite for full price and then give me 260 cash the next day (after the transfer) for the older premium

or is it a 260 trade price if put against the elite

Vegeta wrote: »
    that means i have to have both consoles in my possesion though for a period of time.

like will the game shop let me buy an elite for full price and then give me 260 cash the next day (after the transfer) for the older premium

or is it a 260 trade price if put against the elite

Its store credit so once you payed full price for the Elite you would trade in your premium and be left with 260 euro of store credit, I can't see them giving you a refund for the store credit but maybe I am wrong.

But you would have lots of credit for games:)

yeah but noone in their right mind would buy games frome gamestop these days. They are charging way over the odds.

edit: The credit could be handy if you were getting the hd-dvd add on though as gamestop are doing the best deal on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

how much would you get for selling the premium 360 bundle yerself?
    Could buy the memory card for yer save games, sell premium console, buy new elite, transfer saves over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I could be in the market for a premium bundle PM me if your seriously considering selling

djkeogh wrote: »
    I could be in the market for a premium bundle PM me if your seriously considering selling

I wouldn't do it to you dude, my 360 has been in for repair twice now so i'd feel guilty passing it on to someone else in case it kicks the bucket again and I cant sell it for less than 260 as that's what the shop will give me for it

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Quick question - If your trading in your premium is it just the console they want or do you need to give over one controller, headset etc, that came with the bundle? or is it just purely the console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Mr Soft wrote: »
    Quick question - If your trading in your premium is it just the console they want or do you need to give over one controller, headset etc, that came with the bundle? or is it just purely the console?

I'm pretty sure it's everything that came with it.

Mr Soft wrote: »

As far as I know it's everything that came in the original box console, hdd, headset, powerbrick, component/composite cable and that little scart adapter thingy that fits on the end of the component/composite cable, and even network cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Do you need the box when trading in?

brim4brim wrote: »
    Do you need the box when trading in?

No you don't need the box but as said above you do need everthing that came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Sound, cheers for the replies. Might trade it in before xmas if i have some spare samolians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

anyone know if there are any trade in\store credit offers for trading in a premium pack for an elite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

I am just thinking would it be a good idea to keep your premium so if your elite breaks you can use your premium untill it gets fixed? :D

Advertisement