Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Cat Laughs Festival 2008

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

orestes wrote: »
    Cool, how many shows did you get tickets for? Who are you going to see?

Just booked one show for each night at the moment, going to see Hillsy, Arj Barker, Shappi Khorsandi, Reg D Hunter, Mike Wilmot,Dom Irrera and Andy Parsons. As well as a load of Irish comics. But most excitingly of all, I've booked tickets for Mr. Trellis. The fathers of the Dublin comedy scene, I can't wait!

You heading down yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

pandaboy wrote: »
    with the exception of like 5 comedians it's the ame show as last year. very disappointing I have to say. looking forward to the Fringe. Orestes have you sorted out gigs for it?

anyone have an opinion on Arj Barker? I haven't checked out his stuff yet, loved him in FOTC tv show.

Yep, I've sorted gigs out, details will be sorted out shortly. Should be a hell of a weekend, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

I hate to be negative but I have to agree with pandaboy. Line up very similar to last year and this year there is almost no solo show which means less of the comics you like for more money.

What I'll say about the Cat Laughs is the less stand up comedy you've seen before the better the weekend. If you go to a lot of gigs around the country regularly you'll have seen most of these people already (and for a fraction of the cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ive been the last two years, but alas cant make it this year due to financial reasons... Well i spent all my money on a well known singing comedian whose playing on the 31st of May and one VERY well known Scottish comedian on June 4th.
    Since the line up is pretty similar i decided it wouldn't be worth taking out a bank loan. One act I would have loved to see was this years 'Messin'. It was great fun last year, arguably the best of show.
    I also noticed last year to see all the comics you want sometimes you had to see certain ones twice in the space of two days (or sometimes one day!), the way they generally divide shows between 4 comics. If only Wilmot got a full show...
    Next year I hope to save up money and sample the fringe also. Ive only seen one fringe show and that was McSavage, who I see in Dublin all the time. Funny story; two years ago i met Robbie Bonham for the first time in a pub in Kilkenny. I had no idea he was a comedian. He was due to play there shortly after I left. :o I hope he doesn't hold it against me. Sometimes I really regret some of the decisions Ive made.

Reg D Hunter, Mike Wilmot,Dom Irrera and Andy Parsons. As well as a load of Irish comics. But most excitingly of all, I've booked tickets for Mr. Trellis. The fathers of the Dublin comedy scene, I can't wait!

You heading down yourself?

I'll be there, but I'll be too busy doing my own bits and pieces on the fringe to actually catch any shows.

I guess from your username that you do comedy yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I guess from your username that you do comedy yourself?

I would consider myself a bit of a comedian :p

Naw I do some comedy, and I think I know you. This is a very old username of mine, I go by myfearlessfriend on most other sites.

I would consider myself a bit of a comedian :p

Naw I do some comedy, and I think I know you. This is a very old username of mine, I go by myfearlessfriend on most other sites.

Ah yeah, I do know you actually! Small world eh?! I'll see you down there man!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

Hey everyone I know this is a little off topic but I'm thinking of heading to the Cat laughs. Problem is I've no accommodation booked yet. What do you think my chances are of finiding somewhere now? Theres about 5 of us going I've looked online but no luck so far. Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Hey everyone I know this is a little off topic but I'm thinking of heading to the Cat laughs. Problem is I've no accommodation booked yet. What do you think my chances are of finiding somewhere now? Theres about 5 of us going I've looked online but no luck so far. Cheers in advance.

slim to nil. there's a camp site about a mile from the town centre, if it's even that far away.

Guys I'll be honest the fringe festival is going to be fantastic this year. If ye want something different then go for the fringe as well as the main acts. All of the venues are on the same street with the exception of the Craichouse's first venue and the Ha'Penny.

Seriously though, paying a 10er to see 6 comedians is better than 25 to 30 quid for 4 comedians :)

What kind of accomodation are you looking for? A hotel or a hostel or a b and b? You will have trouble finding somewhere this close to the event but a bit of ringing around and you should be ok, but you might have to move between places during the weekend since a lot of places will only have space on one night of the weekend now

• Advertisement

As well as the official festival, there is also the Fringe Festival that will run over the weekend of the Cats Laughs. One of the highlights of the Fringe this year is going to be the Best of New Irish show. This show brings together 12 of the best new comedians in Ireland. With a bunch of awards and competition credits between them, these are the up-and-coming comedians in Ireland today, the future stars of Irish comedy.

Check out the website for details here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnny74

What kind of accomodation are you looking for? A hotel or a hostel or a b and b? You will have trouble finding somewhere this close to the event but a bit of ringing around and you should be ok, but you might have to move between places during the weekend since a lot of places will only have space on one night of the weekend now

Hi there,
    I've PMd Ballroom Blitz for first option, but we have 6 spots in a house a couple of miles from Kilkenny that would be €640 for the whole weekend. We've a few others booked in the same complex but have had some dropouts - so the whole house would be yours, as long as you're not a homewrecker or anything nasty like that! PM me your details and I'd be happy to send on full details if I get no response from BB.
    Cheers,
    Johnny.

johnny74 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I've PMd Ballroom Blitz for first option, but we have 6 spots in a house a couple of miles from Kilkenny that would be €640 for the whole weekend. We've a few others booked in the same complex but have had some dropouts - so the whole house would be yours, as long as you're not a homewrecker or anything nasty like that! PM me your details and I'd be happy to send on full details if I get no response from BB.
    Cheers,
    Johnny.

I already have accomodation sorted for the weekend, thanks anyway man

Advertisement