Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Beauty Salons

• 13-11-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I figure a "Best of" thread might be helpful, particularly coming up to the major party season of the year.

I've only been to one salon in Dublin (I usually go locally for basic stuff) and while I get for what I ask for, I don't feel pampered, which is what I'd like in a beauty treatment.

My birthday is coming up and I also have a couple of weddings to go to so was hoping to pamper myself a bit, without spending more than I have to.

I'm looking for recommendations from the lovely ladies of boards.ie

The various treatments you recommend don't have to be in the same place i.e. if you think one place is great for spray tan and another place great for manicure let me know!

Maybe if I break it down into categories it will help.

Manicure
    Pedicure
    Waxing
    Eyebrow/Eyelash tint/shape
    Massage
    Spray Tan
    Facial
    Body Wrap
    Electolysis
    Laser
    Other

Also, were the staff friendly?
    Was it easy to get an appointment?
    Did you feel you got value for money?
    If you could give the location of the salon too that would be cool :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Hi Amz,

I always go to Naturelle salon on Dorset st. They offer facial threading which I prefer to waxing anyday and I had a french manicure and pedicure done there before which was lovely. They always do offers and its fairly small and personal. The owner is always there who is very friendly and makes sure that you are looked after well. Their prices are probably same as everywhere else. But I find it convenient that they are in city centre just outside my busstop.
    And they have a new slimming/tanning sunbed which is very high tech.

www.naturellesalon.com

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cool, thanks for that. I'll check them out.

I'd meant to post up my own experiences with places too!

Nue Blue Eriu
    Waxing - This salon is located on South William Street, the staff were quite friendly and very professional and it was handy enough to get an appointment that suited. The cost was a bit more than I've seen elsewhere, but it was my first time getting this erm, "procedure" done and I'd read good reviews so went there. I haven't gone back to get it done again though, but that's mostly down to cost, I'm a student so that's unfortunately a concern. It had a very nice, calm and relaxing atmosphere which I liked and it genuinely felt like an escape from the busy streets outside.

I've bought gift vouchers for people here and they've always gone down well.

http://www.nueblueriu.com/

Blow
    Hair/Nails/Make up
    Went here before a black tie event I was attending, as it was close to where I was staying and also close to the venue should I have had any major traumas! It was extremely handy to be able to get hair, nails and make up done in the one spot as I was pressed for time between work ending and the function starting, I was very pleased with everything and cost wise it was reasonable enough. They have two salons, one on Uipper Leeson Street and one on Upper Baggot Street. I would warn you though, make sure you confirm what salon you're booked into, as I thought I was booked into Leeson street, but my call had been forwarded to the other salon, which meant a mad dash down the road to get there.

The interior is a little less plush than some other beauty salons, but it was comfortable and staff were quite friendly and helpful. I believe they also have a salon in Kilkenny.

http://www.blow.ie/services.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I went to Buttercups in the Powerscourt Mall about 3 years ago for gel nails and it was awful.
    I also had an awful spray tan done in Blow on Baggot Street, but to their credit, they did fix it the next day for free.

The best spray tan I ever got was in the 'Daydream Health Spa' in Terenure. Great tan, nice facilities, lovely staff, open late.

I got the best gel nails in a place on Nutgrove Ave in Rathfarnham, I can't remember the name but it's inside a hairdresser, on the row of shops near the shopping centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

en vogue in blackrock the ladies that work there are really bitchy some are nice but if u are stuck with a fake bitch waxing you it makes you totally wish you never booked.
    in the tanning shop on d'otelier st there is a nail room and the lady working there is sooo nice and prices are cheap enough 40 for gel refills and you can get your spray tan or sunbeds done while u are there perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

/quoted shill post removed -simu

1 post....definite troll!

The best place in the whole city to get tan done is the st Tropez spray tan in the beauty suite
    http://www.thebeautysuite.ie/location.htm
    But dont get the occasional lashes done there as they are not good. Also that new eyelashes bar opened in the powerscout shopping centre isnt good either!Am gonna really miss Pouts eyelash counter in bt's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Hi all, I've been to loads of beauty salons in Ireland and abroad, mostly for facials and waxing, and I have to say that the best facial I've EVER had was in a cosy salon in Wexford Town. The beautician is called Mariga and the salon is called beauty.com. Her facials are out of this world and with all the extra touches that I've never even had in expensive spas. It was extremely relaxing and my skin felt and looked great for ages after. I'll def be making the long drive just to go there. It was the first time that I felt really pampered by a professional. Oh, and she has really warm hands too, so perfect for a nice massage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

abrr1000 wrote: »
    Hi Amz,

I always go to Naturelle salon on Dorset st. They offer facial threading which I prefer to waxing anyday and I had a french manicure and pedicure done there before which was lovely. They always do offers and its fairly small and personal. The owner is always there who is very friendly and makes sure that you are looked after well. Their prices are probably same as everywhere else. But I find it convenient that they are in city centre just outside my busstop.
    And they have a new slimming/tanning sunbed which is very high tech.

www.naturellesalon.com

Good luck :)

I've been looking for a number for this place for a week. I'm sick at the moment so I cant go up to dorset street. Their website doesn't have a number, and they're not in the phonebook. How do you contact them? I was thinking, coming up to christmas they'd be way 2 busy to just walk in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I've been looking for a number for this place for a week. I'm sick at the moment so I cant go up to dorset street. Their website doesn't have a number, and they're not in the phonebook. How do you contact them? I was thinking, coming up to christmas they'd be way 2 busy to just walk in

Their number is Phone: 01 872 79 37 :) Its on their home page under contact us..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

The bottom half of the page wouldnt load for me...oops. they did a great job. good price 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

:rolleyes: ok :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Amz wrote: »
    Blow
    Hair/Nails/Make up
    Went here before a black tie event I was attending, as it was close to where I was staying and also close to the venue should I have had any major traumas! It was extremely handy to be able to get hair, nails and make up done in the one spot as I was pressed for time between work ending and the function starting, I was very pleased with everything and cost wise it was reasonable enough. They have two salons, one on Uipper Leeson Street and one on Upper Baggot Street. I would warn you though, make sure you confirm what salon you're booked into, as I thought I was booked into Leeson street, but my call had been forwarded to the other salon, which meant a mad dash down the road to get there.

The interior is a little less plush than some other beauty salons, but it was comfortable and staff were quite friendly and helpful. I believe they also have a salon in Kilkenny.

http://www.blow.ie/services.html

+1 about Blow.

Its great and really handy.

I love Anne Mc Devitt on Wicklow street. They are uber-professional and do all kinds of everything.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Anyone around the Baggott St area should head for Baggott Beauty.

Small place but in the same hands for over 20 years. Owner works there herself, they don't do all the flashy stuff but do everything you need & are some of the bext for waxing,facials tanning

Nue Blue Eriu - gone down a lot in my estimation but there's a Scottish therapist Carmel I think who is superb

If you want pampering in massage or body wraps you can't beat Mandala - Dawson St. These guys are a bit pricey but all the therapists are Thai or indian & are fabulous

LB

I find blow awful. Got spray tan done there twice and was not at all happy either time, they really messed up the hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Sharons Beauty Room in Castletymon, Tallaght does the nicest spray tan I've ever had.
    Daydream was mentioned there for tans too, I disagree. I had one done there and it was actually dribbling off me - I had to wait so long to put my clothes back on that my brother (who'd driven me over)was having a fit by the time I got out, this changed to hysterical laughter when he saw me:o It turned out horrible. my friend was scrubbing my heels and hands with everything you can think of in an effort to lighten the dark brown stains... Oh it was just a disaster.

Although it just proves that people can have good and bad days I guess!

ladyella wrote: »
    Daydream was mentioned there for tans too, I disagree. I had one done there and it was actually dribbling off me - I had to wait so long to put my clothes back on that my brother (who'd driven me over)was having a fit by the time I got out, this changed to hysterical laughter when he saw me:o It turned out horrible. my friend was scrubbing my heels and hands with everything you can think of in an effort to lighten the dark brown stains... Oh it was just a disaster.

Although it just proves that people can have good and bad days I guess!

I was a big fan of Daydream, but last time I went, the girl didn't do it dark enough at all. Had to force her to go over it again. Then she told me I should just use sunbeds instead!

I really like Brown Cow in Sandyford for spray tans, but unfortunately I'm allergic to Fake Bake :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Forgot Midas Touch at Newlands Cross do a lovely natural spray tan. Sadly I learned the hard way that I'm horribly allergic to Sun FX :rolleyes: It looked fab though until I started swelling up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

I've been to quite a few places in Dublin.

The Buff Day Spa:
    Located beside the wig shop opposite St. Stephens Green shopping centre.

Now while this place does quite stylish packages, their staff (when I went which was in 2007) were inexperienced and hung over. I went there quite often because they offered a loyalty card which would give you a certain amount off your 6th visit based how much you had spent so far.

1st treatment here was leg waxing on a Sunday afternoon. The girl was rude and rushed and didn't clean off the wax so when I came home I had fluff from my jeans stuck into strips of wax on my leg, so I had to break out the baby oil and clean it myself. The hair grew back instantly.

I went back for eyebrow shape. I've had it done many times before and it's not been so bad (tweezed) this time my whole face was twitching because she was doing it so rough not with the grain at all. Just plucking like a mad thing!

Went back for "Fabulous feet" treatment and shape and paint finger nails before going on holidays. The treatment was nice and a good job felt it was over priced though at €65. Shape and paint (French) not great I could have done better myself.

Went back again for another shape and paint, same story not a good job I paint a French tip better myself.

Peacock lounge Dun Laoghaire.

Eye brow shape was fine not too painful and a nice job decent price.

I went back for full body massage, it was good but again felt it was quite expensive at €70 1 hr no aromatherapy or extras.

The Beauty Suite

South William St. D2

Got full body tan done, very good made me feel comfortable as it was my first time, however the tan did fade a lot faster than I had expected, I might got for a better brand next time. Liked that they had a lot of choice and asked for my opinion on what I wanted. Also had eyebrow shape was very pleased with the result. In the same session as all this I had a shape and paint again French tip. After this I have given up won't be getting French tip done anymore no one can do it properly. But over all good price nice staff and a pleasant experience. The best so far.

J;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 foxxrok

I know I'm really late to this thread but I love Urbana on Wicklow Street. I've been to a few places over the years and I have to say it is by far the best I've come acorss. Alot of my friends go there now too on my advice and they think it's great too.
    There's a beauty therapist there called Jenny and I love her. She's dead friendly, a great waxer (always gives me hints and tips to look after my skin), makes you feel really at ease and is a perfectionist so you get a long time from wax to wax.
    The only problem is it's very expensive. Hollywood and full leg is €99 (although they do have loyalty scheme - pay for four of the same treatment and get fifth free).
    But for now I need to find someone that not as expensive as I just can't afford €99 every 5-6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sotoole

Pythia wrote: »
    I find blow awful. Got spray tan done there twice and was not at all happy either time, they really messed up the hands.

blow.ie should be AVOIDED!! I’ve never been so badly treated by rude and incompetent staff. I went to Blow.ie on Baggot Street to get my hair blow dried as it’s my birthday today and was heading out tonight.

They left me waiting for ages, then washed my hair and left me waiting 30 minutes, the girl who washed it then started trying to style it because the stylist was still busy. She was making a total mess so I politely told her that I’d rather wait until the stylist was ready.

She slammed the brush down and walked off. An hour since I’d arrived and my hair was nearly dry. The stylist seemed to be still desperately trying to sort out another very nervous looking customer. I waited....

Finally I walked out, what a disaster. This is not the first time that Blow.ie let me down but it will be the last. I’ll never use them again, and maybe this review help others avoid the same fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

That's awful service. Same thing happened to me in the David Marshall school. Stylist got really angry when I complained that I had been sitting there with wet hair for over an hour! She didn't charge me, which was fortunate, because I wouldn't have paid anyway. Now I always make sure to get the first appointment of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SANDY84

serenacat wrote: »
    en vogue in blackrock the ladies that work there are really bitchy some are nice but if u are stuck with a fake bitch waxing you it makes you totally wish you never booked.
    in the tanning shop on d'otelier st there is a nail room and the lady working there is sooo nice and prices are cheap enough 40 for gel refills and you can get your spray tan or sunbeds done while u are there perfect!

Iv been going to IN VOGUE in Blackrock for the last 8 years and I have never found anyone to be bitchy there. Alot of the staff have been there for years and are always so bubbly and friendly!! They remember things about you too!! So im happy to always book!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement