Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabilisers for an adult bike...

Options
  • 13-11-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Don't laugh,

me ouldear has arthritic feet and can't walk for exercise. She was given a bike but is a bit nervous, being nearly 80y/o!!! She wants to use it off road, that is, off a trafficed street and in a local park. I was wondering if it would be possible to get stabilisers for it so she can retain a semblance of balance, and not fall over when she slows to a stop....

regards, and thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

You should try an adult trike
    picador-large.jpg
    I'm not sure where in Dublin you can find these, but I have seen some old people zooming around on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

yup best option is a trike, you will only have problems with stabilisers that bike...even if you can find a place that doest them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Where to Find A Four-Wheeled Bike or Tricycle (or Velomobile)

http://www.helmets.org/fourwhel.htm .... most of the manufacturers are American, but the list is extensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The tricycle shown above is the Pashley Picador http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/picador.html .... retail price UK£645.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Thank you for those tips.

regards

t

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

tampopo wrote: »
    I was wondering if it would be possible to get stabilisers for it so she can retain a semblance of balance, and not fall over when she slows to a stop....
    Stabilisers are lethal, they can flip the bike during cornering, what she wants is a nice Trice, comfortable, fast & coool.

rp, thanks for that link,

but when she visits me, I have to give her help in getting out of the armchair! She'd never get out of one of those things! I've often wondered where those things can be got. I'll have a look at them again later.

thanks.

t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Square Wheel in Temple Bar is a good place to obtain trikes, recumbents and other unusual bikes.

Also, Wolfe Cycles in Kimmage stock Pashley so could probably obtain the trike above.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I usually advise against exercise bikes, but in this case it might be better. No weather worries.

I used to work in town and used to see an auld fella on a tricycle going around dunnes stores near moore street, pissing around the aisles on the thing! loading up the basket, love to have the balls to do it.

Morgan wrote: »

Also, Wolfe Cycles in Kimmage stock Pashley so could probably obtain the trike above.

Ah, that's great. Not too far, and I know the fella in it...ta much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I realise that she is on in her years, but swimming might also be an option - low impact too.

Don't take this as a reason not to get the bike, but many serious incidents involving cyclists involve older cyclists. Senses are fading and recovery is more difficult.

Some parks forbid cycling, but just have a word with the warden.

Advertisement