Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention Graduands

Options
  • 13-11-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Attention Graduands

For anyone granted the dubious pleasure of contemplating the reception of a degree in academic study from the crowd of charlatans that is corporate UCD, I have a conciliatory message.

Many of you will already be acquainted with the following passage, from the letter concerning 'Conferral of Degrees' :
    Your degree is written in "Latin". If you require an English Translation please contact the National University of Ireland, 49 Merrion Square, Dublin 2 (telephone: 439 2424) or www.nui.ie/qualifications/xservices.asp. The charge for this service is €50.

The upshot being that they're charging you fifty euro for "translating" the stock inscription on your degree parchment. Which they could just have given you printed on the letter, with an "[insert name here]" field.

My contribution is this: For any non-Latinists too conscientious not to discover what it means, but too lazy or otherwise indisposed to pick up a Latin dictionary and muddle through, I am (wink) willing to provide a service at a competetive rate!

My Latin is patchy, but I'm sure I could manage a generic parchment inscription. I'll do it for €45. (Ever so reasonable!) Just message me on here, and I'll get right down to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

PS:

I fully expect to see this passage on next year's 'conferral information' letters:
    Your degree is written in an ideolectic cypher of Chapacura-Wanham and Proto-Indo-European. It contains important information which you ought not to do without. If you require an English Translation please contact the National University of Ireland, 49 Merrion Square, Dublin 2 (telephone: 439 2424) or www.nui.ie/qualifications/xservices.asp. The charge for this service is €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Well trinity students are charged to graduate at least the hugh brady Institute hasn't started that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

:(
    Academic Robes
    Graduands must attend in the prescribed Gowns and Hoods. The Official Robe-Makers to the University, Phelan Conan Associates, will be in attendance in the Student Centre, University College Dublin...

...Cost of hiring robes: €40 per graduand (incl. VAT @ 21%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

:(
    Really?!

Wow. I don't remember having to pay for the gown rental last year, that sucks serious ass. Although maybe we did have to but I just don't remember... Seems like that could be equally likely.

Yeah, this university's awesome. Why did we come back to do an MA again, Fionn?:(

Advertisement