Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bodyshop /Accident Repairs new regulations

Options
  • 13-11-2007 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I was told today by the council I need to switch over to compliant paints by the end of this and get an inspection by AIC for March 2008.

Anybody in the accident repair business know anything about this.

Davyc1979

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

It means you have to be using waterbased paints, as solvent based paint is now illegal to use.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

We all knew it was coming but this is the first I've heard of it being enforced. Tbh waterbased paints only add about an hour to your average job in drying time but it's the extra hassle of inspections and new equipment and things are tight enough thanks to the insurance companies. No doubt if we were farmers we'd be grant aided.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stupid question ..

if you have a car that was originally painted with solvent based paint, can that be repaired/touched up with water based paint? Will colours match / paints not affect each other?

junkyard wrote: »
    We all knew it was coming but this is the first I've heard of it being enforced. Tbh waterbased paints only add about an hour to your average job in drying time but it's the extra hassle of inspections and new equipment and things are tight enough thanks to the insurance companies. No doubt if we were farmers we'd be grant aided.:rolleyes:

Wouldnt even say it adds time to a job, i know of one fella who is using water and still drying the basecoat with a bottle of Calor gas!:D

-VB-

peasant wrote: »
    stupid question ..

if you have a car that was originally painted with solvent based paint, can that be repaired/touched up with water based paint? Will colours match / paints not affect each other?

Has no diffrence in the repairs, in spraying waterbase over solvent.

-VB-

• Advertisement

Just the fact that waterbased basecoat washes off if you touch up your car with a brush, it has to be lacquered over to seal it. No more cheapy jobs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

junkyard wrote: »
    Just the fact that waterbased basecoat washes off if you touch up your car with a brush, it has to be lacquered over to seal it. No more cheapy jobs!!!!

Surely everyone uses laquer.

Not if your only touching up a small scratch with a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

Guys I was at a seminar with my paint rep in Cork.

Not only do you need to switch to waterbase you need to get inspected by an Accredited Inspector Contractor(every 2 years starts 1st March), they must be approved by INAB; there are 3 in the country

heres a link to contact numbers:

http://www.inab.ie/schemes/aib/aic/directory.html.

Certification Europe were at the seminar in Cork, I rung around and they are the cheapest and they are providing training for all those who sign up with them. They gave me loads of info, so I'm going with them

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

Guys I was at a seminar with my paint rep in Cork.

Not only do you need to switch to waterbase you need to get inspected by an Accredited Inspector Contractor(every 2 years starts 1st March 2008), they must be approved by INAB; there are 3 in the country

heres a link to contact numbers:

http://www.inab.ie/schemes/aib/aic/directory.html.

Certification Europe were at the seminar in Cork, I rung around and they are the cheapest and they are providing training for all those who sign up with them. They gave me loads of info, so I'm going with them

• Advertisement

Ffs, this is just another stealth tax. I wish there was an accredited inspector for governments by f*ck they need one more than we do.:mad: I'm so sick of paying out taxes in this country there's just no end to it. 1780 euros PLUS VAT I don't f*cking believe this!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::rolleyes::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wicklow County Council are ahead of the game. They had set the first of November 2007 as the date that everyone had to be compliant. They were carpet bombing businesses with demands to be registered, many of those businesses did not require registration at all.

I reckon dry cleaners are fubarred by these new regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Centari

Does this mean all those rattle can aerosols should be removed from the shelves of B&Q/Halfords/Woodies etc??

Or is it just car bodyshops that are affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It does not affect private useage afaik only businesses.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It does not affect private useage afaik only businesses.

That's good enough for me so, I just have loads of cars.:)

Advertisement