Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coca cola

• 13-11-2007 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

does anyone know where i can get the nicest bottles of coke in dublin? by nicest i mean really fizzy and ice cold. in my experience the best were at bray train station and ramp n rail in drumcondra but they're a bit far out :D

cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

isn't it all the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

if its coka cola tis all the same to me once its from a bottle although i prefer the soda stream type coke like you get in mc donalds wheres its made there and then. its fresher and tastes nicer and coke from proper pub bottles tastes better than coke from a can or plastic bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

to alot of people it is but to us addicts (yep i know how sad it is) there is a huge difference. coke in dunnes for instance makes you bloated and sick. the imported stuff from super valu's is always flat. but when u get a really good one...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm going to move this to Snacks & Sweets. It'll get a better response there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I liked coke till i needed fillings in every tooth and my dentist went mad with me
    Now Im restircted to coke at weekends only
    apparently (according to my dentist) theres the equivalent of 8 spoons of sugar in every can.
    I do love a nice fresh soda stream coke though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

I was a Coke addict :D,
    seriously tho' , I was addicted to it and had to get off it because its really bad for teeth, stomach and general health...
    i do understand what you mean tho', there is huge differences...although some of the McDonalds ones can taste off, and the coke in subway makes you feel sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can > bottle.

case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Cremo wrote: »
    can > bottle.

case closed.

can = 330ml
    bottle = 500ml
    > bottle>can

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

pub bottle >> maccy d's coke (from bulk syrup cannisters) >> canned coke > coke from the smaller syrup canisters> plastic bottles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm talking quality not quantity here same as the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

pub bottles have the best taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

cazzy wrote: »
    apparently (according to my dentist) theres the equivalent of 8 spoons of sugar in every can.
    I would have thought it was closer to 20.

Diet Coke is fine once you get used to the taste. I couldn't drink regular Coke now as it tastes waaaaaay too sweet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Vending machines are the best imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I liked coke till i needed fillings in every tooth and my dentist went mad with me

I'm a diet coke addict. I go through bottles of the stuff. I went to the dentist two weeks ago and I was ****ting myself because I was sure me teeth were rotting in my head. The dentist told me my teeth were in great nick, come back in a year. Hurrah! more diet coke for me!

I also agree that coke tastes better out of the soda stream thing. In pubs it's never in the fridge so it's warm and I find when you pour it out of the little glass pub bottle it always tastes flat.

By soda stream, do you mean on tap, so to speak? They taste better because they're half water and easier to drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Did your dentist also tell you that orange juice & apple juice has the same sugar content, and that grape juice has ~50% more sugar.

Skimmed milk has over 50% of the sugar as coke too.

It is the phosphoric acid in coke that corrodes the teeth more than the sugar.
    I would have thought it was closer to 20.
    Depends on the size of the spoon. It probably has 8 "irish times" spoons per can, and 20 "daily mirror" spoons. Whatever shocks most works best. The one that shocks most is the milk one, shuts up most people.

Tree wrote: »
    pub bottle >> maccy d's coke (from bulk syrup cannisters) >> canned coke > coke from the smaller syrup canisters> plastic bottles
    Agreed. It is weird you cannot get glass bottles more, especially as they are reusable and we have the whole "green" thing going on these days. Used to get them years back, I remember dowing 1 litre glass contour bottles in spain.

rubadub wrote: »
    Did your dentist also tell you that orange juice & apple juice has the same sugar content, and that grape juice has ~50% more sugar.

Skimmed milk has over 50% of the sugar as coke too.

They are different types of sugar. Fruit juice contains fructose and milk contains lactose. Both are natural and not particularly bad for you in controlled doses. Soft drinks contain synthetic sugars that are refined and have absolutely no nutritional value. They might do similar damage to your teeth if consumed in the same quantities, but I don't know many people who drink litres of milk or fruit juice every day.

It's like someone mentioning the calories and fat content in chocolate and you replying that avocados are really high in calories and fat content too. No comparison can be made because avocados are really good for you, and contain essential oils and fats, while chocolate provides no nutritional benefits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Faith wrote: »
    By soda stream, do you mean on tap, so to speak? They taste better because they're half water and easier to drink!
    these drinks that come on tap are usually mixed by machine in store. The syrup is about twenty percent and the rest is made up w/ carbonated water, this water is also carbonated in store. the syrup levels can vary w/i a range specified by the drinks supplier.

drinking coke syrup is not for the faint hearted, it's really heavy going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They are different types of sugar. Fruit juice contains fructose and milk contains lactose. Both are natural and not particularly bad for you in controlled doses.
    I fully agree
    They might do similar damage to your teeth if consumed in the same quantities,
    Thats what I am getting at. The poster didnt appear concerned about it being "good/bad" sugar, more about their teeth. I was saying it was the acid that did more damage than the sugar. Milk is probably fine for teeth, juices can be acidic too though.

I am really pointing out that coke does not have these bizarre amounts of sugars you often hear. And many are surprised to find milk contains any sugar at all. Saying it has 50% of the sugar coke does just makes them think twice about the often ridiculous stuff you hear about coke.
    It's like someone mentioning the calories and fat content in chocolate and you replying that avocados are really high in calories and fat content too. No comparison can be made because avocados are really good for you, and contain essential oils and fats, while chocolate provides no nutritional benefits.
    If fat was somehow bad for your teeth and somebody mentioned not eating chocolate for that reason, and people went around saying "did you know a bars bar has 26 spoons of fat in it" then yes I probably would make the same comparison, for the same reasons.

Avocados are high in calories so are many foods- I see people in work who are convinced they are "dieting" yet are downing 1000kcal+ in one sitting. A pack of supernoodles or koka noodles is over 500kcal per pack, many are oblivious to calorie content of foods- some think if it tastes bland it must be good for you.
    I don't know many people who drink litres of milk or fruit juice every day.
    I used to drink a litre of milk per day for a long time. I have met a people who though skimmed milk was basically like drinking water- i.e. almost devoid of calories due to the low fat content, completely ignorant of the protein & sugar content. Others would not touch coke solely due to calories and not realise juice has the same, even though it is better for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I just had my first bottle of coke in about 3/4 months there. Must say I feel absolutely crap now. Won't be going near it any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Canned coke FTW

Soda stream and pub coke is great,

but people never understand why I refuse to drink coke outta a plastic bottle and will always go for a can. There's a difference to connoisseurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Maybe because the can retains the temperature better so the coke outta that is still cold by the time you get to the bottom of the can. I am so addicted I have some cans in the boot of my car and take one out every morning to guzzle on my drive to work! Grand and cold!

My idea of heaven is to get one of those fountain machines in my house...Santa...if you're reading... :D

Re the OPs original question vending machines are usually coldest I find, tho the odd time Tesco wins it for me.

Advertisement