Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7600GT and PSU

Options
  • 13-11-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Sorry in advance for such a newbie question.

With a very limited budget, I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card.
    I have a Dell E521 (AMD X2 4200, 1GB RAM and 7300GS card).

I am looking at buying the following cards : nvidia 7600GT.

My question (being a newbie one) is, can I simply just swap out my card for the new one, or do I need to worry about power supply, cooling etc?

My PSU has a rating of 305W and a +12VA of 18a max.
    I've nothing attached to the PC that should draw extra power.

Many thanks in advance for info on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Altohugh 305 watt psu is low you should be fine. Your 7300 card is most likely a pci-e card so a pci-e 7600 card is what you need in this case...just double check it's not agp...it'll be written on the motherboard
    305 watt psu is an unusual figure..they're usually a round figure like 300,350,380,400 etc are you sure that 305 is correct?
    Anything bigger than 7600 and you'd probably be starting to worry about your over all load. There are psu calculators online..google is your friend there...
    One point though - the 7600 card might suggest a min 350w psu ...this rating errs on the side of caution...run a few psu calculators and they should give you an idea of approximately how much power you need

steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You will be fine. 305w is standard for a lot of Dell machines. I have run a 7600Gt on a 250w psu no problems.

Are you sure the total is 18a? Is there not 2 rails?

As a point of interest, the 7600GT is very old tech now. You can get the 8600GT for 100 euro from dabs.ie here

While it's not a whole lot better, it is nonetheless better and probably costs the same as what you were going to pay for the 7600.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I had a 7600GT (the silent pipe model, if that makes a difference) on a 300W PSU with no problems at all, and I had 2GB RAM and a second HDD added to the equation. Although HavoK's suggestion is probably what you should go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Thanks for all the help guys.
    A 7600GT would do me grand, I have XP, and play older DX9 games.
    The 8600GT (DX10) would have a little more power consumption and I feel I'm relatively borderline with a 7600GT.
    You're right in that DABS has the 8600GT for €104 incl p&p, but I can get a 'dabs value' 7600GT for €88.

Advertisement