Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cork to Dublin Airport

Options
  • 13-11-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm traveling the above route soon and am looking for advice on service stations, places to eat, travel time etc. I'll be traveling between 8 and 12 at night.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Train?

Fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I'll be driving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

24hr Petrol stations in Mitchelstown, Cashel (I think)
    Late opening stations in Urlingford, Johnstown, Portlaoise (in town center)
    from what I recall, there's no 24hr stations after Cashel until you hit dublin, or head into Naas/Newbridge.
    After P'loaise, it's motorway all the way.
    Need fuel in Dublin, try the petrol station at the Foxhunter in Lucan, well lit, busy 24hrs.

travel time? try www.aaroadwatch.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What info do you need. Fill up your car in cork and drive it. No car I know cannot do that run on one tank. As for the time to drive it, late evening - after 8pm, you should do it in two to three hours depending on speed. The rush hour will be over and it will be a handy drive. Do you need a rest stop for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

What info do you need. Fill up your car in cork and drive it. No car I know cannot do that run on one tank. As for the time to drive it, late evening - after 8pm, you should do it in two to three hours depending on speed. The rush hour will be over and it will be a handy drive. Do you need a rest stop for that?

Agreed, seconded and thirded.

Did it many a time from near Cork Airport to North Kildare. No need for a rest stop at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I'm collecting from the airport and heading straight back so I wouldn't mind some grub really :)

Jason1984 wrote: »
    I'm collecting from the airport and heading straight back so I wouldn't mind some grub really :)

Ok then
    Fill up on food and fuel at the texaco at the foxhunter pub in Lucan. You're not gonna get a sit down place anywhere at that time afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Assuming you come in from the naas road from cork, you will pass a big esso next to joels restaurant about half a mile before the M50 motorway. Thats the fuel sorted and you could even try joels restaurant next door for some grub but it would depend on what time you arrive. After say half ten, you are reduced to fast food. The texaco mentioned previously would be out of your way. There is a maxol station at the airport but you would need to check the closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I drive this route every week, up and down to college, get petrol in Mitchelstown or Urlingford, it'll be cheaper than Dublin or Cork City. Be warned though though that the Shell station in Mitchelstown (the 24hr one) hasnt taken laser or credit cards for the last 3 weeks for some reason.

Should take ya about 2hr 30min from Mitchelstown to the Airport.

FYI its tradition for Munster men to stop in Urlingford for a mug of cha and a sandwich on a Cork-Dublin journey. It's a grand trip really once you have the ipod/someone to chat to in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

eat and fuel up before you leave, bring a choc bar and a bottle of coke /7up with you.. that will keep you going.

And when you get to the airport.. have a 'Subway' or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

gatecrash wrote: »
    You're not gonna get a sit down place anywhere at that time afaik.

You wil at the airport, the bigger outlets on the mezzanine are always open, mackie d's and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    You wil at the airport, the bigger outlets on the mezzanine are always open, mackie d's and the like.
    No they are not, the only one that is 24 hours is the small Bewelys on the left of landside arrivals.

The rest close at various times around midnight
    http://www.dublinairport.com/shops-restauraunts/bars-restaurants/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

gatecrash wrote: »
    Ok then
    Fill up on food and fuel at the texaco at the foxhunter pub in Lucan.
    Bogger77 wrote: »
    Need fuel in Dublin, try the petrol station at the Foxhunter in Lucan[/url]

Do you guys work for this company ?

If you come up the N7 and take the M50 for the airport ( main route ) you'd have to go about 5 miles out of your way to go here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I generally tend to stop in Urlingford, more for the break than anything else. I find the concentration required to drive at 100 kmph for prolonged periods tiring and I just like to stop for 5 mins, get a drink of water and recharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

You should of course take a break,Urlingford is a good spot on that road.

One big problem I have with Mr JC and his TG buddies is promoting the idea that driving for 16hrs straight in those races is ok

It is not - tiredness is a real killer - fall asleep at the wheel or make a mistake due to tiredness and you'll probably die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Jason1984 wrote: »
    Just eat at the airport while you are waiting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Do you guys work for this company ?

If you come up the N7 and take the M50 for the airport ( main route ) you'd have to go about 5 miles out of your way to go here ?
    It's always open
    Frequented by Cops, so I feel safer there.

Am fully with you on the stoppping for a break. I travel Athlone to Cork regularly at night time (leaving after 10pm), and I break the journey at Mallow or Limerick, and that's only a 2.5 hr journey.

As the OP said, he's doing Cork-Dublin-Cork in one trip. I suggest a break going up, food in Airport, and a break on the way down, if even only streching legs and getting fresh air in Durrow or some other town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    No they are not, the only one that is 24 hours is the small Bewelys on the left of landside arrivals.

The rest close at various times around midnight
    http://www.dublinairport.com/shops-restauraunts/bars-restaurants/

Hmm, I knew some closed alright but thought others stayed open longer. Still, he'll probably be there around midnight if not just before so he should get something open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What info do you need. Fill up your car in cork and drive it. No car I know cannot do that run on one tank.
    I did it last month and had 1/4 tank left - but I was driving a diesel BMW 320.

OP - you really should go to the Tescos in Clarehall for the petrol fill-up for the return journey. It's about 5/6 miles away from Dublin Airport.

I rarely feel the need to take a break doing that trip because of all the various by-passes were put on that route in the last 5 years.

I did it last month and had 1/4 tank left - but I was driving a diesel BMW 320.

OP - you really should go to the Tescos in Clarehall for the petrol fill-up for the return journey. It's about 5/6 miles away from Dublin Airport.

I rarely feel the need to take a break doing that trip because of all the various by-passes were put on that route in the last 5 years.

From a driver fatigue issue though he should take a break. I drive a mondeo, big comfy car and i wouldn't do a straight bounce trip!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement