Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR - Latest Expansion Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Ya I'm playing away here and enjoying it but it's begining to look very dated now. I'm about 3 chapters in and i'm still yet to get any scary bits...
    If you like FEAR you'll love it but it's nothing too special.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its out on friday over here,I dunno whether I'll get it or not though,still have'nt finished the first game yet :/ and I have extraction point to play through as well :/ What are the specs like?are they high?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

There are no enhancements to the game so the specs are the same as FEAR

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm pretty dissapointed with this expansion thus far. I'm about 4 hours into it and its been pretty much the same gameplay throughout. There have been 3 scares thus far, count em... 3... and they are all blatant rip offs of scares in the previous FEAR expansion and game, and they are resorting to cheap "BOO" scares, where things suddenly appear in front of you, rather than building the tension with constant eerie music and flickering lights

I don't know what they have done, but either this game is aging really bad or they have dumbed down the graphics for this expansion. I don't remember it looking this crap before. Maybe I shouldn't of started playing it after playing through the Crysis demo again :rolleyes:

I'm still hoping it picks up though and it starts to get a lot creepier like Extraction Point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How in gods name did ye manage to get this game so dam early?Its not out till tomorrow,did ye order it from america?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Any reviews say it's cack.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Unfortunately, the FEAR engine has dated big time now, and this game really shows it, played the demo and the athmosphere isnt like it was when FEAR first came out, I wouldnt blame monolith though as this game was designed by timegate and not them, but imo you'd be best waiting for FEAR 2, the graphics and athmosphere in this one dont cut it anymore,

Nick

bah... i'm still going to finish it anyway. Timegate really have screwed up this time. Extraction Point was actually better than the original FEAR imo. But this expansion is worse than both the previous 2 installments.

The voice acting and character animation is also terrible. Theres one bit when you're in a helicopter and it starts getting bombarded with SAM's. One of the guys gets blown out the other side by one. I look to my left and the guy beside has this expressionless face and just says in a monotone voice "woah. what was that" Its actually so bad it makes the game feel more comical than scary now.

I guess the franchise lies in the hands of Monolith now with their "Project Origin" as i've lost faith in the Timegate version.

ok so I completed the expansion there yesterday. Like many reviews of it online I have to agree. Its pretty repetitive for the first 4 hours or so, but after that it gets back to what made FEAR great, it gets tense, with some excellent sound effects and music. I must of jumped a good few times. I played it from around 12:30 to 4am with the lights off, and when i'm looking over my shoulder when I hear a door creak or a car light flash by the window then I know a game is doing a good job.

What seperates this expansion from the last is the intensity of some of the fire fights. Bullet time becomes a necessity rather than a cute novelty like before.

Sadly though, none of this can patch over the fact that this is an engine really showing its age, they've tried to have big outdoor areas in part but the texturing is so bad the buildings look like lego blocks. The gameplay, while intense in parts, is still the same old gun battles in the exact same environment as the last 2 installments.

The storyline, like all expansions, is very weak. You could miss the 2 expansions between FEAR and FEAR 2 and not have really missed out on anything. They are really just confirming things you already knew from the original game.

Overall i'll give it a 7.5/10, if you are a FEAR fan then definitely give this a look. If you are the kind of person that expects an expansion of the same calibre as the HL2 episodes then don't.

What this really showed me is how good of a job Valve did with the Source engine, I mean its older than FEAR yet it still looks good, even now, and they've managed to keep the episodes fresh and interesting. Timegate should really take a leaf out of their book on how to make an expansion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

o.0

Fear 2?

when/who/why/how

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote: »
    o.0

Fear 2?

when/who/why/how

Thanks to vivendi being an ass, it won't be called FEAR 2, it will be called Project Origin

Advertisement