Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snares anyone?

• 14-11-2007 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    Anyone make their own snares here?
    If so please tell us how and pics would be mighty.
    Cheers

Comments

Not really shooting related to be honest...

Pigeonwatch has a fair bit about it.

I know this is the third time I've plugged that forum but it is good for non-shooting related hunting discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

I'll take that as a no so..........
    Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

I make my own snares using the same wire that is used for the brakes of bikes, 10mm x 5mm collars, a vice grips, some tape, and some strong rope. All are cheap and easily found in a hardware store.

Start by sliding three to five of the collars onto a length (about 2.5 foot) of the wire,

fold back an end of the wire (about four inches) onto itself,

then slide the collars back up onto this end,

using the vice grips and the collars, clamp the wire onto itself so you get a loop on this end, the loop should be about 10mm in diameter.

Now slide the other end of the wire though the first loop so you get a type of wire lasso.

Now make a similar loop in the second end, except this loop should be the diameter of the rope you are using.

Now attach the rope to this end as tightly as possible, i then use the tape to wrap around this link to strenghten it.

What you now have is a rope on one end which you can tie to the base of a tree or fence post or whatever and a snare on the other end which you can prop up over a track with using whatever.

Hope this makes sense.

My uncle taught me how to do this when i was about ten, and have made countless snares since and trapped plenty of foxes. Ive even trapped the odd badger by accident.

I've had less time to check snares daily as ive gotten older (i'm only 23!!) so i dont do it as much as i used to.

Might put up a few tomorrow afternoon and check for the rest of the week seeing as im on nights this week. If i do, ill take some pictures when im making the snares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JuJuYNWA wrote: »
    I make my own snares using the same wire that is used for the brakes of bikes, 10mm x 5mm collars, a vice grips, some tape, and some strong rope. All are cheap and easily found in a hardware store.
    Is there any reason that the rope is needed? Would it be possible to fashion the second end of the wire so that it can be fixed to the tree/post, using a loop and padlock for example

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

Mellor wrote: »
    Is there any reason that the rope is needed? Would it be possible to fashion the second end of the wire so that it can be fixed to the tree/post, using a loop and padlock for example

Yeah thats a class idea actually. Didnt get to the hardware shop today so might try this tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I was sure I replied to this thread earlier on, must've pressed the wrong button :confused::o

Rabbit or fox?

The Hunting Life is the spot you're looking for alright. All manner of great ideas on there. Wouldn't go with the rope idea myself either. Foxes have teeth.

Ebay is a good spot for sourcing materials and the correct tools for the job, got 1,000feet of snare cable shipped over from the States for a surprisingly reasonable price last year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

johngalway wrote: »
    Foxes have teeth.

I've heard they're pretty handy at picking locks aswell!:D:D

I wouldn't use a lock neither :p I'd make a loop in the very end of the snare tail and pass the tail around the tree (if that's what I was using) and put the snare through the loop then set up.

All set to go unless the foxes around your way have wire snips as well :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

johngalway wrote: »
    I wouldn't use a lock neither :p I'd make a loop in the very end of the snare tail and pass the tail around the tree (if that's what I was using) and put the snare through the loop then set up.

All set to go unless the foxes around your way have wire snips as well :p:D
    what is securing it?
    What holds it is place?

• Advertisement

what is securing it?
    What holds it is place?

It's looped around the tree. A wire tealer made from bull wire is best to hold the snare along the path, or just use a fence if there's one there. Black electrical tape can be used to secure to the wire. A good tactic is to make the snares well in advance of when you need them and keep them under a rock in a drain or river for a couple of months before you want to use them, they come out a nice muddy brown.

Advertisement