Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! advice needed on handling Bosc monitor

Options
  • 14-11-2007 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Im looking after a bosc monitor for a friend whos away. the Vivarium needs a clean, only problem is I've never handled a Monitor before, and this ones just over 2 foot long. Hes about 14 months old and has never been tamed, He's hissing at me when I even go near the Viv. How on earth can I get him out to clean the cage safely? Iv'e seen it done before, by grabbing the back of the head and tale at the same time and lifting. Iv'e Handled large Beardys, waterdragons, Iguana's, Basalisks, snakes etc but never a lizard as strong bodied as a monitor. The Vivarium has sliding glass front access, making grabbing from above difficult.

Any ideas on getting him outta the cage quickly and safely? (Bare in mind that this bosc hates being approached)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

I have no idea but that sounds terrifying so I would recommend opening the lid, throwing in a can of lynx and backing away...

Be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

binhead wrote: »
    I have no idea but that sounds terrifying so I would recommend opening the lid, throwing in a can of lynx and backing away...

Be safe.

LMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

When a Savannah Monitor bites, venom passes from the monitor to the animal, but it does not inject its venom like a snake. The monitors venom surrounds and pools on their teeth, and enters the open wound made when the teeth enter the preys flesh.
    from http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com , i wouldn't have a clue how accurate that is though.

Ahh Im not worried about that their venom is quite harmless to humans, only really harmful to small animals. The worst you would get out of a monitor bite is an infected wound, although I know someone who nearly lost his hand to that very thing! from a Tegu (Big Lizard!) Bite.... I'm just trying to avoid late night visit to A and E for a tetanus shot. Thanks for looking out for me though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

If he's gonna bite mate the only way round it is a
    good thick pair of leather gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Try throwing a towel over him first, some animals are more relaxed when their eyes are covered, kind of like the way the ostrich buries it's head in the sand.
    Having said that, I have never handled a bosc monitor, best of luck with it dude. Where are you going to put the monitor when you remove it from teh tank ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

tallus wrote: »
    Try throwing a towel over him first, some animals are more relaxed when their eyes are covered, kind of like the way the ostrich buries it's head in the sand.
    Having said that, I have never handled a bosc monitor, best of luck with it dude. Where are you going to put the monitor when you remove it from teh tank ?

Thats not a bad idea there.

tallus wrote: »

A large Cradboard box with a firm fitting lid, weighted down, it will only take me a half hour to do. Ill put the heating on first so hes nice and warm.

Yeah The towel things a great idea, Same advice I got from a freind of mine who keeps A tegu. Thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

try to grasp him around the head as you would with a snake. then support the body with you other hand. gently put him into a pillow case then ito the card board box. the hissing and mouth opening is only a bluff. he wont actualy bite you until you touch him so just go in there like you would with an aggressive male beardie after all the beardie would do more damage than a 2 ft boc moniter hope that helped and good luck

try to grasp him around the head as you would with a snake. then support the body with you other hand. gently put him into a pillow case then ito the card board box. the hissing and mouth opening is only a bluff. he wont actualy bite you until you touch him so just go in there like you would with an aggressive male beardie after all the beardie would do more damage than a 2 ft boc moniter hope that helped and good luck

Thanks man. I've managed to do it, it was just a case of getting over the intimidation. I just said to myself, "he's just a large Angry beardy" and I got along just fine. Thanks to your advice on that one;) he's now clean and back in his Viv. I must say though that for a 2 foot lizard he's very strong, and his tail whips hurt! got away unscathed though. Thanks man:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

no problem . the beardies have rounded jaws for and small teeth-like gums for crushing and the moniter has more narrow jaws and small sharp teeth for ripping and tearing. in future just go in as if it were a beardie and face your fear as fear wont help in the reptile world. my local pet shop had to call me in a few months back to help catch a big aggressive bosc moniter. it was like a steve irwin job lol

no problem . the beardies have rounded jaws for and small teeth-like gums for crushing and the moniter has more narrow jaws and small sharp teeth for ripping and tearing. in future just go in as if it were a beardie and face your fear as fear wont help in the reptile world. my local pet shop had to call me in a few months back to help catch a big aggressive bosc moniter. it was like a steve irwin job lol

LOL, Yeah your right though man, well theres first time for everything, and now that I've done it he doesnt seem so scary. I might even take him out again tomorrow just to try get used to holding one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any chance of a few pics Jimkel??

Been considering a Bosc for a while now but I believe that they get to over 4 ft long and can be nasty fookers.

Wouldnt mind seen pics of your one.

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

If you get a bosc as a baby and handle regularly most grow to be well-adjusted docile pets.

Yeah man no probs ill post them tomorrow, or I mean today, its 2:28 am for gods sake what am I doing on boards.ie!

Advertisement