Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 unrelated structural engineering questions

• 14-11-2007 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

DIdn't really want to start 2 threads.

1) Vibration of a slender roof in a stadium
    Anyone know where I can find anything that addresses this issue? Part of another project thingy. I searched the web including the linked sites in one of my other threads and looked at books on dynamics in the library (?) but haven't managed to turn anything up yet.

2) Tubular truss connections
    My final year project will be based around this and will involve finite element analysis and comparison with existing methods for hand calculations. I'm currently trying to get as much literature together as possible on the subject but haven't found it that easy so far. Found one fantastic article from a link in the other thread http://www.kuleuven.ac.be/bwk/materials/Teaching/master/wg13/t0200.htm. None of the structural design books in the library seem to address this topic so what kind of books/journals/anything should I be looking out for?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'd imagine the stadium roof would be a plate vibration problem (i.e., one where the thickness is much smaller than the width or length): check your library for books on this as it's a common topic. The "slender" bit probably implies that you can ignore stresses through the thickness, but I wouldn't be sure.

As for the truss connections, my only advice would be to work out exactly what you want to analyse and focus on that (i.e., contact stresses at a pinned connection, stresses at filleted connections etc.). Good luck!

Advertisement