Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming video hosting - cost

Options
  • 14-11-2007 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I am setting up a website and I am planning on having a lot of streaming video.

When I mean a lot I mean 5000-10000+ videos (approx 5-10 mins each).

What would be the best solution? Will it cost an absolute fortune or is there any reasonable enough way.

any advice would be great

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Hi Mike,

If you're looking at a shared hosting service you'd want to use a plan with lots of available bandwidth and lots of storage. I presume a 5-10 min video is going to be in the 1-5mb size (or possibly above).

5000 to 10000 1-5mb videos = alot of storage (around 50GB) and alot of bandwidth that you'd need (depending on how busy your site is of course). Say each of those 10000, 1-5mb videos get downloaded a number of times your looking at a huge amount of bandwidth!

You might want to look at a dedicated server which would afford you much more storage than a shared hosting account and the bandwidth to boot...

Advertisement