Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM028 CYMA AK-47 discussion

Options
  • 02-01-2007 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Nice review :)

Just one thing though, you sure about the selector settings? AK models are safe, auto, semi from the top down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

sorry for my mis type
    AK models are safe, auto, semi from the top down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Fiach Dubh wrote:
    Nice review :)

Just one thing though, you sure about the selector settings? AK models are safe, auto, semi from the top down.

The AK comes in multiple variants and is almost always Auto, Semi, Safe from top down but the Romanian variant (along with others) has Semi at the top, followed by Auto and Safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Is this a late version Romanian AK you are talking about? All the info I've found says the Romanian AK operation is identical to it's Soviet counterpart. The only other reference I found was to the AKM which has auto, semi, 3-shot burst function but I can't get a list of the selector order for it.

From Wiki (confirmed on AK47.net);

Romanian AK47

The initial Romanian copies of the AK-47 were faithful copies of the Soviet milled Type 3 receiver (See AK-47, Receiver development history). When Romania switched to stamped receivers, following the advances of the USSR with the AKM, the new rifle was designated the AIM. The Soviet AKM and AKMS are distinguished only by an underfolding stock, and the Romanian AIM and AIMS, respectively, follow this convention. The only further distinction is a forward handgrip on each model. The forward pistol-grip on the AIMS differs in that it curves backwards, allowing the underfolding stock to be completely retracted.

Operating cycle

To fire, the operator inserts a loaded magazine, moves the selector lever to the lowest position, pulls back and releases the charging handle, and then pulls the trigger. In this setting, the gun fires once requiring the trigger be released and depressed again for the next shot until the magazine is exhausted. With the selector in the middle position, the rifle continues to fire, automatically cycling fresh rounds into the chamber, until the magazine is exhausted or pressure is released from the trigger.

I know civilian model AK's only have semi capability so their setting is Safe, semi. If you have a link to a website with a non standard AK model design I'd love to see it. I'm crazy about all things AK :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

i'am sorry for the mistake on that review as i'am reviewing 6 models you have to make one
    this model AK selector pattern is safe, auto, semi from the top down.

No problem Nonex, I was directing my last post to Shigsy ;) I just thought you may have actually gotten a 028 with a screwed up selector, would have been interesting to have an AK that goes to semi first :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

I was pretty sure the Romanian AK model selector was safe, semi then auto from top to bottom. Had a quick look and came across this article. It's about an airsoft AK but it references the real Romanian Ak selector switch...

"The Double Eagle M86 AK-47 is modeled after a Romanian made AK-47 variant, so the first thing you will notice is the difference in selector pattern from the traditional AK. One click down from safety is semi-automatic for controlled, accurate shots. Drop the selector down another click to full auto and at the squeeze of the trigger the M86 fires 13 shots in under a second."

Source: http://www.airsoftworthy.com/double-eagle-m86-ak47-49/

Thanks for the link, interesting alright. It must be a later model Romanian AK47. I'll keep checking for more references to it. You've peeked my curiosity now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Waylander24

Thats a nice looking AK. I prefer AKs with a folding stock rather than a fixed one. Is that AK compatible with lo-cap mags? If so which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just had a go of three different versions of this AK. One had a collapsible stock. All very solid. I was very impressed. The finish on the wood furniture is excellent. Obviously the rate of fire isnt as high as a TM. The mags you get with them aren't the best. (but seem to be interchangeable with TM so that's alright) I'm not sure about the hop ups on them. But for the price, they're excellent.

I'd really reccomend one of these to a beginner who's interested but not wanting to spend hundreds in case they dont like it. Or if you're someone like me who does like the AK, but not enough to go and spend a fortune on a TM version.

Thats a nice looking AK. I prefer AKs with a folding stock rather than a fixed one. Is that AK compatible with lo-cap mags? If so which one?

TM and CYMA AK's will take Star 30 round low-caps and 105 round mid caps. I think UTG AK's will take them too but I hear UTG aren't the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I have the classic army slr on which this is based. I've the all black solid fixed stock version. the mags are the same. Im actualy gonna get a box of mid cap mags for it from star as mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Waylander24

Fiach Dubh wrote:
    TM and CYMA AK's will take Star 30 round low-caps and 105 round mid caps. I think UTG AK's will take them too but I hear UTG aren't the best.
    Thanks for the help.

Always happy to assist getting more AK's onto the field comrade ;)

Just ordered a box of star mid-cap mags for the AK so it'll be a weapon that'll get more use in future.

Master of the Universe

You and your constant supply of new stuff.

I hate you :P

Just ordered a rifle bag for the Famas. Hope it gets here sometime in the next month.

That wasnt all i ordered, i ordered a box of mp5 mids too so now i MUST get a pair of mp5k's, $300 for a pair from ehobby so not bad.
    Also got around to ordering a marpat boonie and a balaklava for good messure.

Master of the Universe

All we need now is to get good at the sport ;)

And a damn site down south!

All we need now is to get good at the sport

Speak for yourself

Master of the Universe

Ah sorry I forgot, you're an old hand at it now :rolleyes:

In my defense, I did get a kill before I was shot on my first go. Quite proud of that, was I. Poor chap got riddled. Damn adrenaline.

LOL yeah, was proud of myself too my first game. i did have the advantage of the fastest rate of fire there using the famas and all but hey. such is life.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I really do love that about the Famas. It may be a big ugly lump of plastic. But jesus, can it fire. It sounded faster then most AEGs there.

Quite looking forward to getting to use it again. This time without a bottle of bbs rattling around in my pocket to fill up my high cap every few min.

whys that? you gonna bring more then one hi-cap or more mid caps?

It probly is the fastest thing that was there. its faster then most.

the hollow plasticy feel is the only thing stopping me getting one of those too.

Master of the Universe

Last time I had one high cap and one mid cap. It has such a high rate of fire that it blasts through the mid in a few seconds.

I'm after buying another high cap. So hopefully two highs and one mid should do me without having to reload.

The hollow plastic feel I find does diminish quite a bit when you put the battery in. And tape up the handle. I have yet to line the battery compartment to stop the foregrip creak though. Keep forgetting to buy tape.

But yeah, feel wise, it doesn't really come close to some of the other AEGs. Ah well, maybe someday there'll be a full metal kit released. *fingers crossed*

if classic army make a fa-mas id say it'll be metal but i doubt they will if they havn't already.

Master of the Universe

I know its lack of production in the airsoft world is a bit odd. I know most people seem to want m4's and Heckler stuff, but there ARE Famas appreciators out there.

What makes it even weirder is the fact that it was Marui's first gun.

Maybe I'll just have to find an engineering shop somewhere and construct one myself :D

im not realy supprised some how at mauri macking it. there whole image seems to be a kinda of video game approach and with Metal Gear Solid being HUGE over there and it being a main weapon in it, it just seems normal.

Don't get me wrong, it may have nothing to do with video games and i know other makes are rom the same place but it COULD be a reason.

Master of the Universe

The TM Famas dates much further back then Metal Gear Solid. It features in the 1991 Marui Man Advert. They have it over on youtube. Worth checking out if you have a decent connection.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qjdP4pQFHoY

Metal gear solid should have actually resulted in an updated remake of the gun. strange that it didnt. Pity that it didnt!

metal gear solid on the playstation isnt the first of the metal gear solid games though, it originaly came out on the nes in '87

Master of the Universe

Ah yes, they were on the nes.

but i meant the whole Famas era. Didnt start till ps1. ;)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Metal_Gear/Metal_Gear_boxfront.jpg

Looks like some form of Mac with loads of stuff on it!

Ah Solid Snake, a man with a quality taste in arms.

Advertisement