Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landladies ordered to pay students €115,000 in damages

Options
  • 14-11-2007 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭

Two Dublin landladies have been ordered to pay damages totalling more than €115,000 to 10 students who were tenants in their house after the Circuit Court found they had kept the students under secret electronic surveillance.

The tenants, from Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Armagh and Monaghan, rented rooms in 46 Mobhi Road in Glasnevin from Rita McKenna and her daughter, Edel, in 2003 and 2004 while studying at the nearby colleges, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin City University and St Patrick's College in Drumcondra.

Full story here.

invest4deepvalue.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

Freakeh Bee-atches! :eek:

Geez, I thought I was bad with a landlady who used to break in unannounced and snoop around, leaving notes asking tenants to "Please tidy your bedroom."

Electronic surveillance takes it to a whole other level - how sinister is that?

G'wan the students - good on them for taking them through the courts, the fockers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Great to see the court dealing with it properly, and a nice fine too on the landladies. :D

It might be a warning to other landlords/landladies that you need to respect the privacy of your tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thats one hell of a fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

He found the students' rights to privacy had been infringed and he awarded them damages varying from €7,500 to €12,500 each.

I presume all of their legal fees are included in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

I am so delighted for them! Serves them right! I hope they have to pay everyone's legal costs on top of that!

I've lived in places like that and they are grotty & falling down and all that matters is squeezing another body in so that they can make more money. Never mind the fact that there's rubbish facilities or a tiny pokey kitchen for 8 people or only enough chairs in the sitting room for 5.

It's about time that something was done about these scumlords!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Electric wrote: »
    I am so delighted for them! Serves them right! I hope they have to pay everyone's legal costs on top of that!

I've lived in places like that and they are grotty & falling down and all that matters is squeezing another body in so that they can make more money. Never mind the fact that there's rubbish facilities or a tiny pokey kitchen for 8 people or only enough chairs in the sitting room for 5.

There is no doubt these people were terrible landlords but we have not much clue to what the property was like. Mobhi Road as some pretty large property on it. I have been in some very nice converted houses and considering wiring in the house was at least new :D it might have been very nice.

This also not a warning to landlords to stop doing this because only the insane would think this is OK. This is not in anyway normal landlord behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

I used to live near this house so I'm familiar with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I used to live near this house so I'm familiar with it

I pass it every day and don't know what it is like inside so living near it means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Thats one hell of a fine!

Not really, when you consider there were ten victims. I think they got off lightly.
    Still, the shame they've brought on themselves will be punishment for them in addition to the fine :)

What a pair of freaks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Lol I wonder were they a pair of lesbians perving on the female students ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Why would you rent somewhere that's 'grotty and falling down'. Scumlords, as you so elegantly called them, can only rent a kip when a tenant agrees to live there, if no one rents then they soon get the message and either do it up or stop trying. There is no excuse in this day and age to live in squalor,unless of course, you want to.

Advertisement