Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Triathlon..... Sort of, resource for online training anyone??

• 14-11-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

In particular Hunnymonster who helped me out a lot last year with a panic riddled greystones attempt......

Where could I get a resource for online trainig that is good, eg: where my heart rate etc should be and that. To be honest, I am gonna use triathlon and that to stay in shape as opposed to compete in them,

Any help always appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

This is one of those questions that has many answers but a good place to start is learning something about the Maffetone methodology. Mark Allen (one of triathlon's all time greats) writes about it here
    http://www.markallenonline.com/heartrate.asp

You say you want to use triathlon for fitness. Can you clarify if this means lose weight, change body shape, increase aerobic capacity or something else. How you train will be dictated by your exact goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey Hunnymonster,

Thanks a million for the reply. well Ideally I am looking to have a strong looking physique with minimal bodyfat, if I could get it in the mid teens that would be perfect,

I am looking at doing the crossfit exercise stuff too, mostly bodyweight stuff from what I have seen, so that should help with the muscle and definition,

I did the greystones one in the end but my bike derailer broke, so I did the run anyway, but I did the Laois one the week after, the in pool swimming was mayhem I must admit :D:D

Read that article, suits me down to the ground, keep heart rate at about 70% of my maximum for a few months, then throw in some speed intervals, suits me, I dont like pushing that hard anyway :D:D

I'm just back from Ironman Florida. almost 3000 people trying to get into the same piece of water. It was hellish! Unfortunately someone also lost their life in that particular struggle but the cause is not known as her family very unselfishly donated her organs. When people ask me about triathlon swimming, I often direct them to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM

To get leaner the crossfit will be great. I would suggest you also try some fasted, low HR stuff. A morning swim before brekkie would be ideal once or twice a week. Play around with training and get a feel for what works for you.

Hey,

Yeh I heard that before, someone suggested that you take some protein beforehand too, cant remember the reason.

I wanna do a olympic distance this year maybe the dublin, is that one olympic yeh? I heard that they are a lot les panic and mayhem than the sprint stuff,

That article sounds brilliant, low rate, longish stuff, sure thats way more fun than going like a lunatic for the same amount of time and it generates better results,

No brainer if ya ask me, I would ove to join a club but I work in the city centre and never out of here before 6 and home by 7 so cant really,

I am hypoglycaemic so I need to watch the fasted stuff, might speak to a nutritionist about it, or just go and do it and see how I feel rather than spending money on it,

How did the florida one go?? How do you train for the heat on top of the rest of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Heard florida was a draft fest yet again!

Some "interesting" commentaries on it on slowtwitch

The hellishness of the swims depends on the organisation not the distance. A sprint race with 10 waves will be alot less rough than an olympic with one start.

Mid teens bodyfat will not give you a ripped, or even strong looking, physique. You need (assuming you are male) to be under 10 for that.

From my experience most clubs only really train together at the weekends. Even if you work late during the week you can still get these sessions in.

I have a problem with the formula based methods of determining your maximum heart rate, and thereby your training zones. (Although this one got within 2 bpm of my own estimate of my present aerobic max, although when trained it would be off by 12 bpm).

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    I have a problem with the formula based methods of determining your maximum heart rate, and thereby your training zones. (Although this one got within 2 bpm of my own estimate of my present aerobic max, although when trained it would be off by 12 bpm).

I do agree but not many have the time, money or inclination to go for a maximal test. I like the Maffetone method because from the maths I've seen it errs on the low side. Wouldn't be sufficient for you Tunney, who aims to be at the sharp end of the field, but should be useful for someone who is starting out and trying to bring some structure and recordability to their training.

Hey I actually did one ages ago, I think the figure I got was 195 maximum, I pelted up a hill, walked back down, did it 5 times leaving the watch on the whole time, at the end it gave my average and maximum, which I think was 195, but I will do it again,

I also work saturdays, from 9 till 1 so I dont know what sorta sessions I could get in,

I will look at doing the duathalon series, good practice and that,

Advertisement