Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Nolans Complaint Thread

Options
  • 11-11-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Originally from Classic car storage.......again

To unkel Moderator
    (who ever you are)

I wish to enquire what you mean by my post is Spam. I don’t know what you are talking about.

You state "there's a lot of tolerance here on the classic cars forum. That's why I'm leaving your post here alone".

That you deleted other post which was just Spam. "Do that again and you will post here no more"!

How dare you use my name in public like that.

Being a classic car enthusiast for the past 32 years and paying for storage throughout that time and knowing how difficult it is to find car storage in the Dublin area.
    I was only offering a service to other car collectors at the same time trying to reduce my storage cost.

If you have any issues I would be happy to speak to anyone directly on: [Phone Numbers removed - Please do not post your personal information in such a public place]

Brian Nolan
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

OK, let's have a spot of Boards 101;

(Disclaimer, I'm a mod, but not on this particular forum, so this post is only an attempt to clear up a few things in the absence of the mods of the Motors category.)

1. You didn't need to post a rejoinder here twice. We heard you the first time.

2. While your post about storage in this thread was on topic, multiple posting advertising a service is frowned upon sitewide. See (1). So far you have multiple posts regarding your storage service, and your only other contribution has been an aggressive response on thread directed at the mod.

3. The correct approach would be to PM the mod in question and discuss the issue with them.

4. unkel did not use your name-you posted that up yourself when you chose a username. If you chose to use the name your parents gave you, that's your lookout, not his.

5. Posting up a public phone number is not a good idea, unless you like to be contacted by weirdos. See (4).

A little less aggression, and a little more understanding as to how this, and indeed other online communities work is always the best approach.

HTH

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Brian Nolan

Hello

With reference to your e-mail I wish to clear up a few things.

Yes I agree with you that the correct approach would be to PM the person in question and discuss the issue with them, however they did not approach me via e-mail or phone in the first place, instead just posted the letter in what I find an insulting and aggressive response.

”there's a lot of tolerance here on the classic cars forum. That's why I'm leaving your post here alone. It is spam, but it is on topic. I've deleted your other post which was just spam. Do that again and you will post here no more!”

As you say “a little less aggression and a little more understanding” is always the best approach it is a pity that person did not apply this approach in the first place.

This is my first time to use this site and I found it quite difficult to post a message in the first place.

You stated that multiple posting is frowned upon on this site. This is not a business service. I am only offering parking spaces in a workshop providing a service to other car collectors in an effort to reduce my own storage costs.

I did decide to post my name as a username and not hide behind some made up name, I agree posting a public phone number is not a good idea, unless you like to be contacted by weirdos. However I seem to be contacted by them anyway.

Regards
    Brian

Hi Brian,

As the content of your PM to me is, in essence, the same as the post above, I'll respond here;

Firstly, I'm aware that posting on boards (almost any internet discussion board, not just this one) can represent a bit of a learning curve. Every group, indeed every forum on this site has its own distinct community, and vagaries thereof.

With that in mind, you can rest assured that unkel is one of the least insulting and aggressive people you could wish to meet, and his comment is based on the fact that we moderators on boards.ie are plagued with an incessant amount of spamming and shilling.

Take a look at the banlist, to give you an idea as to the extent of this problem.

I'm sure you'll appreciate that it is hard for us to discern the genuine people from those who just want, for want of a better description, free advertising.

Happily for you, it seems you fall into the former category, and, without wishing to speak for unkel, his post, to me, took account of that possibility.

On other forums, you may have, depending on the moderator, been banned outright, due to our past experiences in this regard.

I'd advise that you remove your 'phone numbers from your posts, and ask people to PM you instead. I'd also recommend that you stick around and see how things are here. This is an excellent community, and I for one hope that you enjoy your time here.

As per your second PM, I don't think it's necessary to follow this up by 'phone.

In the grand scheme of things, it 'aint that big a deal :)

Hi, Roundy Mooney

Thank you for your e-mail. However in the grand scheme of things, I do feel that it is a big deal! I have been accused wrongly of posting Spam, how come my e-mail was so offensives as there are other people offering storage space on your web site.

If you feel that it’s no big deal why didn’t Unkel approach me via PM or phone and
    discuss what ever issue he had with me instead of just posting the letter in what I find an insulting and aggressive manner.

With reference to Unkel stating that he “deleted my other post which was just Spam” could you please enlighten me as to what other post?

This is the first forums that I have ever used, so I could have never been banned outright from another site. I still find it a bit of a learning curve trying to post articles on the boards.

As it’s my fist weekend on a site like this I have just read professor Morgan Kelly of University College Dublin excellent article about “Housing Bubble Bursting” (posted in 2006) as a self employed Auctioneer I totally agree with him as I have been predicting this for the last 4 years. I would encourage more articles of this quality on your website.

Regards
    Brian P. Nolan

Hi, Roundy Mooney

Thank you for your e-mail. However in the grand scheme of things, I do feel that it is a big deal! I have been accused wrongly of posting Spam, how come my e-mail was so offensives as there are other people offering storage space on your web site.

Thanks for gifting me boards.ie. However, I'm just one of many moderators here. I've already dealt with the situation we face regarding spam here, so you shouldn't take it so personally. I'm not sure what your coment about offering storage is meant to refer to.
    If you feel that it’s no big deal why didn’t Unkel approach me via PM or phone and
    discuss what ever issue he had with me instead of just posting the letter in what I find an insulting and aggressive manner.

You really need to let this go. We give our time voluntarily to keep this place clean and harmonious. Phoning up people who may or may not be taking commercial advantage of boards.ie's popularity is not part of our brief. As I say, going on the basis of two posts, both of which refer to car storage, it is and was impossible to assume that you weren't trying to do this. unkel made this point in as clear a way as he could, without insults or aggression. Seriously.
    With reference to Unkel stating that he “deleted my other post which was just Spam” could you please enlighten me as to what other post?

I don't know. It's been deleted. I assume it was referring to car storage as well.
    This is the first forums that I have ever used, so I could have never been banned outright from another site. I still find it a bit of a learning curve trying to post articles on the boards.

With respect, it shows. That said, we all have to start sometime, and it's not as daunting a thing to get to grips with as you might imagine. My advise would be to read read read...
    As it’s my fist weekend on a site like this I have just read professor Morgan Kelly of University College Dublin excellent article about “Housing Bubble Bursting” (posted in 2006) as a self employed Auctioneer I totally agree with him as I have been predicting this for the last 4 years. I would encourage more articles of this quality on your website.

You may be right, but you need to remember that the users are ultimately responsible for the content of any respective fora. Moderators do not have editorial control over the quality of people's contributions, after all, what you're reading is basically a microcosm of society as a whole, good bad or indifferent.

Bottom line? If you want to see quality contributions, then start making 'em.

At the end of the day, getting upset over something you read on the net is a futile exercise, and as I say, not a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thank you for your e-mail.
    The email you received would have been a notification email and not one sent by a particular forum member. This is an open forum and everyone can view the posts.
    However in the grand scheme of things, I do feel that it is a big deal! I have been accused wrongly of posting Spam, how come my e-mail was so offensives as there are other people offering storage space on your web site.
    I didn't see the post but unkel has been a moderator here for quite some time and so far AFAIK hasn't got it wrong!
    If you feel that it’s no big deal why didn’t Unkel approach me via PM or phone and discuss what ever issue he had with me instead of just posting the letter in what I find an insulting and aggressive manner.
    1. No letters have been posted. Please learn what a discussion forum is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum.
    2. he presumably gave his reasons within the post so need for an email or a phone call
    3. why do you think that someone who volunteers their time should go to the effort of calling you to explain that there are rules?
    well, might I take the liberty that you read the link above and then please read the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hi Brian

Over the years, it's taken me quite a while to start understanding what internet forums are about. You're on a quicker learning curve than me here :)

The most crucial point about posting on any internet forum is to read the charter first. See kbannons link.

Now to address your specific question:
    Unkel stating that he “deleted my other post which was just Spam” could you please enlighten me as to what other post?

You posted the following on the vintage car run in aid of irish cancer society thread. I deleted your post as it is an unsolicited advert (spam) ;)
    Hi
    Just a quick e-mail to say, if anyone would like to enquire about Vintage Car Storage as I offer this service. I have a large storage workshop in South Dublin for short or long term storage.

Being a classic car enthusiast I also store some of my own collection on the premises.

Unfortunately, I cannot give any exact details on location from a security point of view, but I would be happy to speak to anyone who is interested in availing of this services. Rates are €150pm. There are a limited number of spaces left.

For more details, call me directly on: 01-xxxxxxx/ 086-xxxxxxx

Regards
    Brian

I replaced your phone numbers with xxxxxxx there
    JustinOval wrote: »
    That's not spam, that's a single relevant post.

You can only see that relevant post because I deleted the other irrelevant post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Without wishing to cause aggravation to either side I think that Mr.Nolans posting was very relevant to this specific thread, and a most welcome and helpful post.........thansk you for that !

I also understanding the whole pimping/spam thing too but perhaps a PM directly to Mr.Nolan would have been more appropriate instead of the public lashing he recieved.

No offense, and its none of my business so feel free to lock this thread, but I do feel that occasionally the mods arrive with a very heavy hand indeed !

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

MercMad wrote: »
    ... but perhaps a PM directly to Mr.Nolan would have been more appropriate instead of the public lashing he recieved.
    Exactly my sentiments MercMad, I also think this was all a bit OTT and I really don't think there was a need in this case for 3 moderators to stumble over each other to reprimand the poster...

If that would have been my first post, I don't think I would have dared coming back anymore... :D

(and now, quickly ducking for cover) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MercMad wrote: »
    Without wishing to cause aggravation to either side I think that Mr.Nolans posting was very relevant to this specific thread, and a most welcome and helpful post.........thansk you for that !

Indeed. The similar post in the other thread however was spam, so it was removed and Brian was warned. Simple!

Now let's move on...

• Advertisement

To Unkel

I am sure that other readers are sick of such petty juvenile behaviour been posted back and forward.

However, I wish you would enlighten me as to what Spam (unsolicited advertising) mail I sent to you.

By stating that “other Spam” was sent to you and removed and “Brian was warned” gives the impression that I bombarded your website with junk mail.

I was not aware of this unless some junk mail was attached to my posting, as I am inundated with junk mail at present.

As far as I can see the only other post was sent to, what I thought, was a vintage car club that were holding a run in aid of the Irish Cancer Society, as I have a copy of all the mail that I sent.

If so, would you agree that the appropriate course of action would have been for you to send a PM to me and discuss the issue instead of the public lashing I received as this is damming to my character.

Such protocol should be observed in future similar instances as someone else might go forth and take legal action for such allegations been made against them in such a public manner.

You might find it ok to “let's move on” but it is my name that still has not been cleared, and I would be foolish to expect a public apology for what I could only describe as a dictatorship, where members feel they have to duck for cover or have there thread locked if they air a view which might be disagreeable with the committee.

Personally I am not going to waste any more of my time on the matter and withdraw my advertisement.

Brian P. Nolan

To Kbannons

I find it difficult to make any substance of the matter which appears in the form of your posting.
    However, I will try to endeavor to address your specific points in question as follows:

“The email you received would have been a notification email and not one sent by a particular forum member. This is an open forum and everyone can view the posts.”

However, as it turned out it was not just an email from a forum member but as you like to call a moderator.
    I am aware that “this is an open forum and everyone can view”, but they must not air a view which might be disagreeable with the committee.

Now to address your specific issues:

1. With reference to your statement that “no letters have been posted. Please learn what a discussion forum is”

I am aware what a discussion forum is, by the term “letters” I mean e-mail or post to the site or whatever you want to call it, it is not voice mail.

2. “he presumably gave his reasons within the post so no need for an email or a phone call”

Firstly, Unkel gave me no reasons within his post, as it turned out it would have been the appropriate course of action to send an e-mail, PM and put the allegations been made against me in writing or a quick phone call to discuss the issue instead of the public lashing I received as this is damming to my character.

3. “do you think that someone who volunteers their time should go to the effort of calling you to explain that there are rules?”

Yes, see above (2). Before any committee member makes such allegations
    again such protocol should be observed in future similar instances, as someone else might go forth and take legal action for such allegations been made against them in such a public manner. As you stated yourself that you did not see the post instead acted on hearsay.

As your committee feel that it’s no big deal why did Unkel not approach me via PM or phone and discuss what ever issue he had with me instead of just posting the letter in what I find an insulting and aggressive manner –“do that again and you will post here no more.”

As I stated already that this is the first forum that I have ever used and that I still find it a bit of a learning curve trying to post articles on the boards.

A little less aggression and a little more understanding is always the best approach and I really do think there was no need in this case for three very heavy handed moderators to stumble over each other in a race to reprimand me.

Kbannons as you asked me to “take the liberty that you read the link above” and the forum charter, you might take the liberty to do your home work first before stumbling over each other in a race to reprimand a new contributor to your site in future.

Brian P. Nolan

Nobody is emailing anyone. THe discussion is an open one (apart from the whinging PM you sent me
    I am sure that other readers are sick of such petty juvenile behaviour been posted back and forward.
    You are the one continuing it.
    However, I wish you would enlighten me as to what Spam (unsolicited advertising) mail I sent to you.

By stating that “other Spam” was sent to you and removed and “Brian was warned” gives the impression that I bombarded your website with junk mail.

I was not aware of this unless some junk mail was attached to my posting, as I am inundated with junk mail at present.

As far as I can see the only other post was sent to, what I thought, was a vintage car club that were holding a run in aid of the Irish Cancer Society, as I have a copy of all the mail that I sent.

If so, would you agree that the appropriate course of action would have been for you to send a PM to me and discuss the issue instead of the public lashing I received as this is damming to my character.

Such protocol should be observed in future similar instances as someone else might go forth and take legal action for such allegations been made against them in such a public manner.
    I gather you were advertising someothing on boards that was deemed to have been in breach of the rules. Maybe we should take the time to call round to your house and sit down and discuss it over a cup of tea instead of rushing in and editing or deleting the post.
    You might find it ok to “let's move on” but it is my name that still has not been cleared, and I would be foolish to expect a public apology for what I could only describe as a dictatorship, where members feel they have to duck for cover or have there thread locked if they air a view which might be disagreeable with the committee.
    FFS Ha Ha Ha
    Committee?
    Personally I am not going to waste any more of my time on the matter and withdraw my advertisement.
    That was I gather the crux of the problem - you were advertising when you are not meant to!
    To Kbannons
    Its kbannon!
    However, as it turned out it was not just an email from a forum member but as you like to call a moderator.
    I am aware that “this is an open forum and everyone can view”, but they must not air a view which might be disagreeable with the committee.
    Stop saying email and committee because there are no emails being sent and no committee involved
    I am aware what a discussion forum is, by the term “letters” I mean e-mail or post to the site or whatever you want to call it, it is not voice mail.
    So why PM me the same crap thats on here?
    Firstly, Unkel gave me no reasons within his post, as it turned out it would have been the appropriate course of action to send an e-mail, PM and put the allegations been made against me in writing or a quick phone call to discuss the issue instead of the public lashing I received as this is damming to my character.
    There would have been no public lashing if you hadn't started it!
    3. “do you think that someone who volunteers their time should go to the effort of calling you to explain that there are rules?”
    again such protocol should be observed in future similar instances, as someone else might go forth and take legal action for such allegations been made against them in such a public manner. As you stated yourself that you did not see the post instead acted on hearsay.
    So effectively the moderators are here to serve you despite you initially not reading the forum charter (as otherwise you wouldn't have placed your advert), despite continued discussion about this (instead of taking it to the feedback forum).
    Im really tempted to take out my banning stick!
    As your committee feel that it’s no big deal why did Unkel not approach me via PM or phone and discuss what ever issue he had with me instead of just posting the letter in what I find an insulting and aggressive manner –“do that again and you will post here no more.”
    That could have been addressed by sending him a PM!
    A little less aggression and a little more understanding is always the best approach and I really do think there was no need in this case for three very heavy handed moderators to stumble over each other in a race to reprimand me.
    I was sitting here nice and camly whilst minding my sick daughter. After trawling through all of this crap, Now I'm Agressive!
    Kbannons as you asked me to “take the liberty that you read the link above” and the forum charter, you might take the liberty to do your home work first before stumbling over each other in a race to reprimand a new contributor to your site in future.
    Grr!

To everyone - apologies for the thread spoiling. I will move these to feedback later on when I get a chance.

To Unkel

Brian P. Nolan

To Kbannon

I find it difficult to make any substance of the matter which appears in the form of your posting.
    However, I will try to endeavor to address your specific points in question as follows:

“The email you received would have been a notification email and not one sent by a particular forum member. This is an open forum and everyone can view the posts.”

Now to address your specific issues:

1. With reference to your statement that “no letters have been posted. Please learn what a discussion forum is”

2. “he presumably gave his reasons within the post so no need for an email or a phone call”

As I stated already that this is the first forum that I have ever used and that I still find it a bit of a learning curve trying to post articles on the boards.

Brian P. Nolan

Brian, please stop posting your complaints in the storage thread as it is spoiling that thread - consider this a final warning before I move to ban you from the motors forums.
    Apologies that I wasn't able to print off a letter and send it to you but my printer is out of yellow and the love hearts on the letter just don't look right. Anyhow, I don't have your postal address, a stamp, an envelope or the will to send it!

Hi

You stated that you “gather you were advertising something on boards that was deemed to have been in breach of the rules”. Maybe before you call round to my house and discuss it over a cup of tea you should at least check you facts as to what “other Spam” was sent and removed by Unkel.

As I already stated that “Brian was warned” gives the impression that I bombarded your website with junk mail.

As you did agree by stating “there would have been no public lashing if you hadn't started it!”

Instead of the public lashing I received as this is damming to my character that the appropriate course of action would have been for you to send a PM to me and discuss the issue.

You might find it ok to move on, that I am the one continuing it, but it is my name that still has not been cleared, and I would be foolish to expect a public apology for what I could only describe as a dictatorship, where members feel they have to duck for cover or have there thread locked or moved of the main page of topic if they air a view which might be disagreeable with the so called committee.

Instead of a response from some person in an aggressive manner who is “really tempted to take out my banning stick!”

I now see the sort of person I dealing with.

Brian P. Nolan

Brian - if you were going to post this here, why did you send it to me via PM twice?

Anyhow, firstly, I will not apologise for what you percieve to be somethin where you need to clear your name. You posted something that was deemed to be an advert which is clearly in breach of the rules, which I gather from your persistence of this discussion, you did not read.

Secondly, there is no dictatorship here. I volunteer my time on here as do the other users, mods and admins. However, if you feel hard done by then please stop discussing it here and take it to the feedback forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82).

Thirdly, I trust unkel's judgement. I will not discuss why he removed your post. I accept his explanation that you posted an advert. Only you are using terms of bombarding the website, etc. Incidentally, spam as defined on boards.ie - http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Spam

Fourthly, I would have replied to your PMs by PM had you not posted the same content publicly. If you can post publicly, why then do you expect me to retort privately?

Lastly, I as do many other people have other things to do with my day than persist in this. I referred to the banning stick (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ban+Stick) as I feel I shouldn't have to persist in continuing this debate about why you were wrongly done by in having an advert removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'm not taking any sides here but my point remains and that is that a more gentle attitude would ensure that the friendly atmosphere we all enjoy here would remain unthreatened.

Surely the moderaters can accept that as a fact without feeling they have backed down. We all understand the need for filtering/removing unsolicited ads, and thank you for it BTW it makes the forums far more enjoyable, but the fact is not everyone reads the charter first. I know we are supposed to but facts are facts !

Can we all move on now ?

@MM - yes please!

Hmph, now that this is moved to a more apt location, perhaps we can continue...

Goebbels might have said that a lie if repeated often enough, becomes the truth, but that doesn't mean, Brian, that you have to bombard us individually with PMs, and then post the exact same content on the forum itself.

An awful lot of the misapprehension you appear to be under would be alleviated if you had taken my advice above, to "read, read, read".

Firstly, we are not a committee, we are volunteers who offer our services to keep the site running. We are ultimately accountable to the administrators (owners) of boards.ie

This place has house rules, and posting unsolicited advertisements is one of them.

In certain instances, some latitude is permitted, where the offer of a service is on topic and not repeated. The Classic Car forum is one such example.

Your initial post was reported by a non moderator of that forum for being off topic and spammy. I suggest you read the definition of spam as defined in the link provided above.

unkel removed the offending post, and advised you of this on the relevant thread (where you made the same post once more).

You were appraised as to the situation by myself and others, and yet continue to insist that an injustice has been perpetrated against you.

A polite PM to unkel in response to his posting, assuring him of your good intent would have put this ridiculous turn of events to bed, and you could have then carried on to enjoy what is an excellent community on Motors.

It's still not to late to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To make a more apt example, think of boards.ie as a hotel with loads of rooms. Each room has a "theme" party, with the theme of that party clearly marked at the door. Each door has a bouncer or two - after all, nobody wants to be in an "Accountancy" theme party and have a bunch of guys run in wearing Sonic the Hedgehog costumes. The bouncers don't hold anyone back, but they will remove people who are causing trouble.

As you get at parties, in each room people are standing around in smallish groups discussing various topics.

Imagine you enter a room marked "Classic Cars". You come up to a group of guys who are complaining about the cost of car storage and casually mention that you can sort them out. Great! They love you! You wander off without contributing further.

Then imagine you wander over to another group of guys. They're discussing a charity event. You casually mention that you can sort them out with cheap classic car storage and then wander off. Nobody has ever seen you in the hotel before, let alone the room. Do you think they're going to thank you for your contribution, or give a quick nod to the bouncer to keep an eye on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    If that would have been my first post, I don't think I would have dared coming back anymore... :D

(and now, quickly ducking for cover) :rolleyes:

Well how about not breaking the sig rules?

RoundyMooney

The reason why as you put it “that you have to bombard us individually with PMs, and then post the exact same content on the forum” is as I feel the point just does not seem to get through to you (or you don’t want it to).

I am under no misapprehension. Unkel removed the so called “offending” post, and he did not make it clear what other post (spam) was sent.

“there's a lot of tolerance here on the classic cars forum. That's why I'm leaving your post here alone. It is spam, but it is on topic. I've deleted your other post which was just spam. Do that again and you will post here no more!”

I agree that if unkel was to send me a polite PM to in response to my posting, instead of the public lashing that it would have afforded me the opportunity of assuring him of my good intent and the issue would have been put to bed. However instead he acted as prosecutor, judge and jury.

Would you agree that the appropriate course of action would have been for him to send a PM to me and discuss the issue instead of the public allegations been made against me in such a manner.

Yes I was appraised as to the situation by yourself and others, as you like to phrase it, but I would be more incline to call it a public lashing that I received which was damming to my character by three very heavy handed moderators stumbling over each other in a race to reprimand me.

That’s you answer to deal with members who air a view which might be disagreeable with the so called moderators. Or to be moved to another location, or feel they have to duck for cover or have there thread locked.

I'm sure you'll appreciate that an injustice has been perpetrated against me. You might find it ok to “move on” but it is my name that still has not been cleared, and at this stage I would be foolish to expect a public apology.

I can not see how one could enjoy what is your words is an excellent community on Motors, I suppose along as you don’t rock the boat.

Brian P. Nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm aware you weren't addressing me, but I'll answer.
    I'm sure you'll appreciate that an injustice has been perpetrated against me.
    No. Spam can be defined (and on this site, is defined) as advertising which is posted unsolicited and unwelcome. It doesn't require massive volumes nor undirected volumes. Any such advertising is considered spam. Both of your posts actually fall into that category, but because one was on-topic, the moderator saw fit to leave it there.
    Would you agree that the appropriate course of action would have been for him to send a PM to me and discuss the issue
    Yes, if you had been an established poster. Am I saying we discriminate against people based on participation? Yes.

We deal with a lot of this stuff, every day. People signing up with what appears to be no other intention except to spam. Again, your account fit that bill - your first two posts were advertisements. Because we deal with a lot of this stuff every day, PMing spammers to "discuss" it is a waste of our time. Our time is given for free so minimising wasteage of that time is important.

You fell into into a very small bracket of people who sign up and break the rules immediately, but actually appear to want to contribute. It's a matter of misunderstanding more than anything.

Was the moderator wrong? No. He made the right call to delete spam.

Were you wrongly "accused"? No. You did spam.

Ultimately, you received a warning for something that usually results in a ban from the whole site. No harm has been done anywhere and you're now aware of the site rules.

A good job I'd say.

RoundyMooney

The reason why as you put it “that you have to bombard us individually with PMs, and then post the exact same content on the forum” is as I feel the point just does not seem to get through to you (or you don’t want it to).

I am trying very hard to be sympathetic to your view here, so your accusation that I (and by implication others) am being dismissive of your argument is nonsensical.
    I am under no misapprehension. Unkel removed the so called “offending” post, and he did not make it clear what other post (spam) was sent.

“there's a lot of tolerance here on the classic cars forum. That's why I'm leaving your post here alone. It is spam, but it is on topic. I've deleted your other post which was just spam. Do that again and you will post here no more!”

For heaven's sake! You only had one other post at that stage (and yes it was offending because it was posted in a thread in which it had no relevance), ergo a classic example of what we, and the whole internet, would deem to be spam.

No it doesn't. He referred to one other post, and in one sentence expressed the state of play quite succintly.

By the way, I still don't own boards.ie The hostile takeover is weeks away
    I agree that if unkel was to send me a polite PM to in response to my posting, instead of the public lashing that it would have afforded me the opportunity of assuring him of my good intent and the issue would have been put to bed. However instead he acted as prosecutor, judge and jury.

Stop trying to twist what I posted. What I said was that the polite PM should have come from you. There was no public lashing, as you put it. You are being hypersensitive to a nonexistent slur here. I can point to thousands, yes thousands of instances on this site alone, where accounts have been sitebanned after one post without reprieve, because that one post was a classic case of spam. Are we to PM them all, asking them nicely if they are really interested in penis enlargements or porn, or just taking advantage of this site's popularity?

Mods have to have authority over their fora, otherwise their function would be useless.
    Would you agree that the appropriate course of action would have been for him to send a PM to me and discuss the issue instead of the public allegations been made against me in such a manner.

No I do not.

I also fail to see what "public allegations" were levelled against you.
    Yes I was appraised as to the situation by yourself and others, as you like to phrase it, but I would be more incline to call it a public lashing that I received which was damming to my character by three very heavy handed moderators stumbling over each other in a race to reprimand me.

If you read the initial three posts (on this thread, now) by moderators, and read them as being anything more than an attempt to set you straight at the outset, then I don't know what to say to you.

Personally? I think the Motors category, is if anything undermoderated at times. That's not to say that the guys there don't do an excellent job, because they do, but if you think they're being heavy handed, you're wrong, because they employ a very lenient policy of moderation, compared to other parts of boards.ie
    That’s you answer to deal with members who air a view which might be disagreeable with the so called moderators. Or to be moved to another location, or feel they have to duck for cover or have there thread locked.

Feedback is the place for this discussion, and I'm glad it's finally here so that this conversation can continue on topic. Other posters on the original thread rightly expressed a wish to continue their discussion on car storage, and a rampant debate on what constitutes spam and moderation has no place there. That is why the thread was split to here.
    I'm sure you'll appreciate that an injustice has been perpetrated against me. You might find it ok to “move on” but it is my name that still has not been cleared, and at this stage I would be foolish to expect a public apology.

If I thought one had been, I'd shout it from the rooftops. Now, I think you're being facetious, and making a mountain out of a molehill. An apology is not warranted here by the moderation team.
    I can not see how one could enjoy what is your words is an excellent community on Motors, I suppose along as you don’t rock the boat.

There are many contributors there who would disagree with you, and manage to express their views, argue a point, and sometimes even do some swapping and dealing amongst themselves without any input from moderators.

In other words, a great community, and if you feel you can't be part of that, or that it is incompatible with what you think it should be, then you are free to make suggestions on this forum, or leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

****ing A.

Godwins law in just over 1 page.
    awesome thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unkel removed the so called “offending” post, and he did not make it clear what other post (spam) was sent.

You posted one meassage, the same message, twice.

Once in a current thread where it was relevant and possibly helpful, on the other instance in an old, inactive thread, which had nothing whatsoever to do with car storage.

This is the thread in question:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54394876#post54394876

Your post about car storage on this thread has now been deleted, that's why you can't see it any more, but that's where it was and that's where I reported it as a possible "spam" message.

Every single day boards.ie is innundated with people who log on and then make one to three post to advertise their business, never to be seen or heard of again.

So, posting what could be termed "an advertisement" twice as a first post puts you clearly (at least in the eyes of the moderators) into the "spammer" category

Advertising on boards.ie in such a manner is not allowed and normally carries a siteban.

You, on the other hand, were given the benefit of the doubt, as you seemed to be genuinely interested in classic cars and wanting to offer help to fellow enthusiasts. This is why one of your posts (the relevant one) was left on the storage thread and the other one deleted.

As for "clearing your name" ...personally I think it would be a wise course of action to stop making such high blood pressure-induced posts, take a deep breath and keep posting relevant contributions in the classic car forum instead (if you so wish) and let the matter rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

From Spam-like to Troll-like in 2 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Its Like a Joe Duffy moment on the internet.

well... in my head it is.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Its Like a Joe Duffy moment on the internet.

well... in my head it is.

sure there is enough empty space in your head to park a few cars, you should get on to Brian about a business deal..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement