Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Where is that Diving Board ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Diving board is in Tramore on the route upto ther metal man,

So you went and climbed over the gate at the red iron bridge eh?
    Was that not very scary walking on those tracks above the river?

I went up that way during the summer - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cabaal/sets/72157601804821610/

Pic

I'm curious where is the Dolmen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My own Dolmen moment.

Dolmen.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Brave man to head out on the Red Iron...

Try putting some up on the Photography forum ;)

I really like the 2 shots of the bridge.

I bet the owner of the grey Audi 80 at the airport ws pee'd off when he got back.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I like the ones of Tramore and the Red Iron bridge, after living in Waterford for 18 years I never actually made it out to the red iron...we often talked about it but stayed around the Ardkeen area and drank in the fields instead...ah those fields (now known as Ardkeen Village!)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

the shots of the rediron bridge are great, Haven't been out to it in years myself, so I'm guessing it's even more dangerous walking out there than it used to be :)
    Fair play!
    the one of the diving board is great too, some nice shots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Cabaal wrote: »

The Dolmen is out near Tramore some place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Diving board is in Tramore on the route upto ther metal man,

So you went and climbed over the gate at the red iron bridge eh?
    Was that not very scary walking on those tracks above the river?

I went up that way during the summer - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cabaal/sets/72157601804821610/

pic

i looked at the link some should correct the person for waterford is on the river suir, the Nore flows throw kilkenny city.the photo in the link is of the waterford side of the bridge, a train crashed in this side of the bridge in 47/48 and the photo of the crash steam engine can be seen in the tap room bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

trishw78 wrote: »
    The Dolmen is out near Tramore some place

go to the six cross roads head toward the sugar loaf hill about a mile and a half before sugar loaf the is a fork in the road the sign for the dolmen is on your right drive up the lane at the fork and about 1 mile up the lane the dolman can be seen from the road, now it been apagan burial site the christian not to be out done built a church there as well.the church and the surrounding grave yard and now in ruined statew but worth a look around
    If you do not understand the direction please just ask, and i will try and giud you to a place that everone see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I remember walking across the top of the red iron before they cut a chunk of it out. The slopey bits were by far the hardest.
    Youth and all that!

I never managed to find the dolmen described above, but Gaulstown dolmen is well worth having a look at. A fine example. Is that the one in your photograph Mike65?

If anyone is interested there's one of the best exmaples anywhere in Ireland near Mullinavat, it's genuinely impressive to behold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

mike65 wrote: »
    I bet the owner of the grey Audi 80 at the airport ws pee'd off when he got back.

Mike.

Well spotted mike :D:D

We used to go nacker drinkin out the red iron in the summer nights...i used hate crossing it...never had a head for hieghts. I know a guy Cycled along the top of it !!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Some very good photos there.

This one by Cabaal is really good

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cabaal/1314065039/in/set-72157601804821610/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i looked at the link some should correct the person for waterford is on the river suir, the Nore flows throw kilkenny city.the photo in the link is of the waterford side of the bridge, a train crashed in this side of the bridge in 47/48 and the photo of the crash steam engine can be seen in the tap room bar

I'll have to check but I believe google maps just has the place named wrong, I have the correct place picked on the map as far as I can make out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cabaal/1314065039/map/?view=everyones

soldering iron, your a brave man going across that bridge, always wanted to visit it from the other side of the river but seems like too much work to get to it from the Kilkenny side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah the Red Iron.. Used to hang out down there when I was younger, before they seperated it. Used to walk along the top barriers. There was a little hut up on the tower on the bridge that you could hang out in.. Not to mention that shakey island place right next to the bridge. Haven't been down that way in many a moon. Remember going across the bridge to the coca cola factory getting free bottles of coke and then if you go back up the opposite side of the tracks, there is a stone well and a bridge just past it where you could go on the duck if it was raining out :)

I enjoyed have a look around this engine and walking up the old railway line, was a nice walk during the summer

1261136310_4239401e20.jpg

Full size versions are available to people marked as friend on flickr :)

Remember the guy who built his own house made out of steel and wood on that bridge before you come to the red iron? Must of been about 9 or 10 years ago now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

yeah mummys bridge is up the "rusty tracks" lol

aye that's the one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hey,

If your posting images, can you either link to the picture or display a thumbnail version? The full scale versions messes up the thread and cause it to take a while to load! Think of the poor people on dialup! :p

Iv edited the posts to link to the images which were to wide. :) Cheers.

Also, some great pics. Im gonna take a proper look now and give a proper response! Good stuff OP!

Just curious when was the red iron line closed/last used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Cabaal, Gaulstown Dolmen is when you head out the Cork Road and come to the cross roads, turn left out towards Tramore and you'll see it signposted about 2/3 miles down that road. Someone on upthedeise put a whole list of dolmens to be found in the Waterford area.
    Also Soldering Iron are you upthedeise's very own paddybrownsroad who posts up photos of Waterford City because I'm sure I've seen very similar posted up there.

Map here: http://www.upthedeise.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/dolmen-trail.jpg

Thanks for that, must go in search of them some day,

The Red iron Bridge was last used in anger in about 1982 I think when the line to Dungravan was effectivly closed.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    The Red iron Bridge was last used in anger in about 1982 I think when the line to Dungravan was effectivly closed.

Mike.

Do you mean Dungarvan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Do you mean Dungarvan?

No, he meant Dungravan, a little known stop on the railway line, not more than a hamlet really. Not to be confused of course with Dunraven, another hamlet on the same railway line!

Exactly :D

Mike.

Folk tale or not? - There was a crash on the red iron bridge and the front rails were all dented in. I remember seeing the metal all wraped on the waterford side.. Can anyone confirm that it was from a derailing of a train?

• Advertisement

A few years back there was a 30 min programme about the railway line which was shown on the NTL local channel, that crash (unless it was a different one) was included.

Mike.

Advertisement