Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I remember Waterford at 8 did the the entire route of the Waterford - Tramore railway line it. was something special. Bring back the waterford - Tramore route...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

dlofnep wrote: »
    Folk tale or not? - There was a crash on the red iron bridge and the front rails were all dented in. I remember seeing the metal all wraped on the waterford side.. Can anyone confirm that it was from a derailing of a train?

walk into the bar the taproom from the ballybricken side turn right step up on the step the stairs is on your right turn around and look up one of the pictures show the steam engine up on the side of the bridge.if you go to the bridge right now you will see the marks still there from the crash.The engine was traveling down from Quigly Magnesite's on the gold coast ( where the gold golf coarse is now) the engine was traveling to fast and the camber of the track add to the crash.
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/pbr_2007/IMG_2269.jpg
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/pbr_2007/IMG_0294.jpg
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/pbr_2007/IMG_0299.jpg

i not able to resize sully sorry about that, if you tell me i will be able to do it the next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yup that's it in the last photo - right on the right hand side. Also, a little bit forward there is like a warp in the side in iron that's 3 or 4 inches thick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How would I be able to get to the railway line and train? Also, are there more of those areas that I could take a look at? Iv always enjoyed visiting old sites like that, including castles etc.

Also, soldering iron - if you can resize them just use the [.url]LINK HERE[./url] tag - removing the dot. :)

Excellent shots. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The bridge is "accessed" by going down the Quay past the old Waterford Stanley Foundry and you just keep on until you run out of road at the dog pound. I imagine there are plenty of signs saying KEEP OUT!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    The bridge is "accessed" by going down the Quay past the old Waterford Stanley Foundry and you just keep on until you run out of road at the dog pound. I imagine there are plenty of signs saying KEEP OUT!

Mike.

Without sounding stupid.. where is the old foundry?

Also, how unsafe is it to access?

Okay, at Rice bridge drive straight across the junction and follow the river and the Foundary is on the right, but thats incidental. The thing to do is just drive on till the road peters out.

As for danger, its been along time since I was down there but obviously its beside a river and there is a drop! :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Might be best to not go on your own, especially if you plan on walking across some of the bridge :)

If you just want to see the gate and the old engine and old line is perfectly safe to be honest,

Okay, at Rice bridge drive straight across the junction and follow the river and the Foundary is on the right, but thats incidental. The thing to do is just drive on till the road peters out.

As for danger, its been along time since I was down there but obviously its beside a river and there is a drop! :)

Mike.

I travel it a fair but I cant figure where to go.. Is it near Abby Road direction? You have me lost :p
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Might be best to not go on your own, especially if you plan on walking across some of the bridge :)

If you just want to see the gate and the old engine and old line is perfectly safe to be honest,

Ill be with a group of people. Id like to walk some of the bridge if possible..

http://www.landregistry.ie/uploadedfiles/maps/watmap.jpg

see Grattan Quay in the top left corner? Go down there and keep going.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Okay drove down the road tonight and stopped just before the land bridge - as the sign warned me I wouldnt be able to turn around if I continued forward.

I take it the bridge starts at the very VERY end of the road?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'll see the railway bridge cross over above the road...you can't miss it,
    Get out and walk up the right hand side of it

Keep driving till you see it, its not at the end of the road though :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    You'll see the railway bridge cross over above the road...you can't miss it,
    Get out and walk up the right hand side of it

Keep driving till you see it, its not at the end of the road though :)

Ah yes, I know exactly where your talking about now. Cheers, ill try it later today.

That train in the pictures, is that the one parked in the small field on the way down to the bridge? Its covered in vandalism, not matching the one on the pictures.. There are a few carriages around it also.. all rusted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

super pics.
    Where is number 12 taken?

Sully wrote: »
    Ah yes, I know exactly where your talking about now. Cheers, ill try it later today.

That train in the pictures, is that the one parked in the small field on the way down to the bridge? Its covered in vandalism, not matching the one on the pictures.. There are a few carriages around it also.. all rusted..
    th

that old engine belongs to the New ross railway society, most of the vandalism was done in kerry where she was stationed for a short while.
    found this
    Five railways served this area and four had the name of the City in their title.

They were, the Waterford, Limerick and Western, Waterford Kilkenny, Central Ireland, the Waterford Dungarvan and Lismore, the Waterford and Tramore, and the Dublin South Eastern.

Ine of the few named GSWR locos, spent 59 years of her life in Waterford shunting the docks and goods yard and taking an occasional trip to Clover Meats with cattle and to the Ironfounders with loads of scrap.

The foundry is on the site of the former Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore Railway Station.

This City's third station, Waterford Manor, was demolished in 1974 and Quinnsworth supermarket is now on the site. Waterford was the supply depot for loco coal, and a ship from Cardiff paid a weekly visit to the goods yard. Two ships were on the route, the SS Carnalea and the MV Mossmore. Coal was supplied to Clonmel, Rosslare, Wexford, Enniscorthy, Thurles and Kilkenny. There was plenty of work in the depot. Since the shock close of the Quigley magnesite plant at Ballinacourty in 1982 and the shock collapse of Bell Lines, the loco depot has been reduced to a small branch line depot with work for just a handful of men.

deise-lady wrote: »
    super pics.
    Where is number 12 taken?

which one is picture 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

which one is picture 12

It's the photo numbered 12. A small sandy cove with a slip way. Looks lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

deise-lady wrote: »
    It's the photo numbered 12. A small sandy cove with a slip way. Looks lovely

I think that's newtown cove. It's just out past tramore..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I bet the owner of the grey Audi 80 at the airport ws pee'd off when he got back.

Mike.

Jesus thats some eyes you've got, Think Bush needs help spotting Bin laden
    If you're interested ;)

• Advertisement

soldering iron:-

Seriously, stop posting the images full scale. If you cant reduce the size using photobucket, try something like pix.ie and upload it as an album.

Iv given instructions on how to simply link the images here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54433116&postcount=35

I appreciated the contribution, but its a pain having to sort out all your image posts. While most of us have broadband, there are a small few who dont and this topic takes to long to load for them. It also breaks up the layout as a result, so mobile viewers will have a hard time viewing the topic.

Thanks for understanding mate.

Took lots of pictures, including shots of inside the train. Will post them up in a few hours :)

I will work on that with the help of a certain woolly animal,if you travel a little down the road from the suir Railway bridge you will come across the new Waterford By pass bridge

I will work on that with the help of a certain woolly animal,if you travel a little down the road from the suir Railway bridge you will come across the new Waterford By pass bridge

I was down there today, nothing to see really. Big trenches, cranes and a few support pillars.

All the photos I took of the day are here:-
    http://pix.ie/sully/album/317935

They include the bridge (from various angles on the bridge, as I walked it until the part thats missing), track and train (loads of shots from inside the train).

Enjoy.

nice picture there sully,what kind of Camera are you using,i use a cannon 400 d for my pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Seems to be a Sony DSC-W35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

dlofnep wrote: »
    I think that's newtown cove. It's just out past tramore..

Yup thats newtown cove

Nice shots sully, must go up there some day with my canon :)

• Advertisement

Word of warning - Walk down and up the LEFT side on the widest iron part. The wood (sorry, I cant think of the rail parts names!) that supports it all is very dodgy. The iron support on the RIGHT gets pretty weak half way. It bends as you walk on it.

Advertisement