Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Sully wrote: »
    Word of warning - Walk down and up the LEFT side on the widest iron part. The wood (sorry, I cant think of the rail parts names!) that supports it all is very dodgy. The iron support on the RIGHT gets pretty weak half way. It bends as you walk on it.

what kind of a wimp are you, don't walk on the old sleepers just walk down the peice of flat iron by the side of the rail.On a clear day one can get great pictures of the city and of the construction work been carried out on the new bridge.Sully is right!!! be carefull and enjoy the view

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

what kind of a wimp are you, don't walk on the old sleepers just walk down the peice of flat iron by the side of the rail.On a clear day one can get great pictures of the city and of the construction work been carried out on the new bridge.Sully is right!!! be carefull and enjoy the view

Some might walk down the sleepers, but they are pretty dodgy - even on the old track by the train - we stuck to the flat iron. Its not safe on the one side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Some gorgeous pictures there. Used always be out at Red Iron when we were younger but I still freak out before I get to the actual bridge. Won't step out onto it.
    Went sea kayaking off Kilfarassy in September and there are some amazing views out there. Will go again next summer and remember to bring a camera!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 barrymufc7

which one is picture 12

thats newtown cove just outside tramore

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not really outside Tramore - it is still within the town. Its at the top of the town, by the Ritz pub. Just make a left at the cross and head straight out past the pier to get to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newtown Cove is two miles from Tramore in my book, or was in my day. Its all ribbon development hell since then! :(

Mike.

But Mike, you dont leave Tramore until your heading out towards Fenor. If even. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was my home town until 1981 it was all fields back then.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    It was my home town until 1981 it was all fields back then.

Mike.

Its a crime that they have developed out towards Newtown cove.. and its all houses. Nothing decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Where is that Diving Board ?

That is the board at the Guillameine out next to Newtown Cove in Tramore.

It used to be the Men Only swimming area a bit like the Forty Foot in Dublin but is now open to all. Good place to swim though some of the young thrillseekers take to jumping from the cliffs.

Think a young lad was killed there a few years ago when he jumped from the cliff opposite the diving board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I remember when there was a double board on the the newtown cove side it was cool. I remember jumping off those cliff and then getting in trouble for it. But then we started to jump off the cliffs out by the flat rocks (Dunmore) at high tide and we never got caught.

scout353 wrote: »
    That is the board at the Guillameine out next to Newtown Cove in Tramore.

It used to be the Men Only swimming area a bit like the Forty Foot in Dublin but is now open to all. Good place to swim though some of the young thrillseekers take to jumping from the cliffs.

Think a young lad was killed there a few years ago when he jumped from the cliff opposite the diving board.
    If I recall, he slipped after pulling out of jumping.. The only other cases I recall were sucide, attempted sucide and excessive drink/drugs.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/pbr_2007/IMG_0379-1.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/pbr_2007/IMG_0378-4.jpg

still trying to gt it right,having the pictures linked has no impact on the viewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

:D excellent shot

When did that happen?

soldering_iron: Last chance. One more time and your banned.

I told you what to do, in detail, in the message that went with the infraction. If your going to ignore my requests - then you will be banned.

I went up to the Minaun last Sunday and took some of these. the path is really over grown it looks like it hasn't been used in years.

2062634147_c79e8840d0.jpg

2063203706_d323db3f7f.jpg

2062476817_59acd38ba0.jpg

soldering_iron: Last chance. One more time and your banned.

I told you what to do, in detail, in the message that went with the infraction. If your going to ignore my requests - then you will be banned.

are you an electrican by any chance,telling me you are going to ban me for the above reason seem to me to be alittle over reaction.i tryed to down size the thing the way you explained to me, but i still do not know how to do this.ii am willing to post photo of the great city and show the changes that are taking place and for the reasason of down sizing i get an infraction.I will try againn to down size the pic and if it does not work for me then you will ban soldering iron, thanks for the encouragemet to post my private pics.

are you an electrican by any chance,telling me you are going to ban me for the above reason seem to me to be alittle over reaction.i tryed to down size the thing the way you explained to me, but i still do not know how to do this.ii am willing to post photo of the great city and show the changes that are taking place and for the reasason of down sizing i get an infraction.I will try againn to down size the pic and if it does not work for me then you will ban soldering iron, thanks for the encouragemet to post my private pics.

Iv told you numerous times. If you cant do it, link to the photos. Simple as.

If you want to check the charter, I put up a small guide on resizing photos for those who insist on posting the image and not a link. You can also PM and I can expand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

Why is there a part taken out of the bridge guys?Did it fall?????

Probably to stop people walking over.. its still intact, on the KK side.

tonyagrey wrote: »
    Why is there a part taken out of the bridge guys?Did it fall?????

The centre span is on the side the Railway bank of the river, there’s
    the oil boat that carried oil to morrises oil in fiddown, the bridge would have to be opened to allow her up the river. It would mean that the railway company would have to maintain the bridge if they had to open her each time the oil boat went up river, so from a cost point of view the centre span was removed.
    There are no plans at the moment to reopen this bridge, but if it is left to nature there will come a time when the process so nature will be ill reversible.So do we need this rust bucket next to the new modern pay to pass bridge "quetion to the council" i say no it will become very unsightly in a few years and may even put passing tourist off visiting the city.

Thanks for that soldering, wasnt aware that was the reason. I assume there are no longer boats passing through?

That bridge, I cant see being used. The government are not giving Irish rail money for extra carriages, so I cant see them splashing out on a bridge that aint been used in years.

It's a shame really yet another part of our heritage and past gone forever, and eventually forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

The centre span is on the side the Railway bank of the river, there’s
    the oil boat that carried oil to morrises oil in fiddown, the bridge would have to be opened to allow her up the river. It would mean that the railway company would have to maintain the bridge if they had to open her each time the oil boat went up river, so from a cost point of view the centre span was removed.
    There are no plans at the moment to reopen this bridge, but if it is left to nature there will come a time when the process so nature will be ill reversible.So do we need this rust bucket next to the new modern pay to pass bridge "quetion to the council" i say no it will become very unsightly in a few years and may even put passing tourist off visiting the city.

Thanks very much.Very interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Thanks for that soldering, wasnt aware that was the reason. I assume there are no longer boats passing through?

That bridge, I cant see being used. The government are not giving Irish rail money for extra carriages, so I cant see them splashing out on a bridge that aint been used in years.

Yeah Sully Oil comes from cork and milford haven weekely to the paper mills jetty and to morris's at the fiddown bridge ..

Funny you should say that about no new rail carriages as I was at belview today and there were plenty of new ones been unloaded and taken straight away for comissioning by Iirish Rail !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They ordered a load of carriages some time ago which are still coming in. I assumed Sully was talking about more carriages in addition to the existing deal.

Ah no, some workers for Irish Rail was talking about how congested the trains are from Dublin to Waterford and even if you buy a ticket - your not guarnteed a seat. I asked why, and she said that there are not enough carriages to handle the load.

I know there are new trains on the way, but not for sometime down our direction I think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Went out tonight to do some night photos around the Plaza,

2076876746_7320632da8.jpg

2076873246_5f3f382505.jpg

2076877318_de6b3c308c.jpg

2076085271_daa18bd4fc.jpg

2076081119_831741c9cf.jpg

More photos on my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/cabaal/

Advertisement