Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New way of addressing 4GB of RAM in Vista 32bit

Options
  • 14-11-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Those of you with Vista 32bit wanting to get 4GB of RAM will find this usefull

http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=989
    You can tweak Vista's core to add another 4-bits of addressing capability, but you must have a 64-bit capable processor (pretty much any processor made within the past two years like Intel's Core 2 Duo or AMD's Athlon 64). Even though the math works out to address way more than 4GB (236 = 68,719,476,736), the operating system still has a cap (Windows Server can address anywhere from 8GB to 128GB depending on the flavor).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Expect a performance hit from this. Linux has had this facility for some time (years), but it does impact addressing times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Agreed. Gave this a try before i left work and it shot the page file upto 40gb too....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I'm using XP 32-bit with 4Gb of RAM :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

so am i chosen, but 700mb is on permanent vacation...
    you have any tickets home?

:D

871176325733338288807586_4G.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

64mb page file?
    is that what gets it back??

jasperok wrote: »
    64mb page file?
    is that what gets it back??