Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten question

• 14-11-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Living with my girlfriend in an apartment and we are thinking of getting a kitten!

Just wondering if cats are ok being alone during the day?

like 8 - 5

We both work Monday to Friday.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My cat is home alone for that time when I go to work. She has lots of toys to play with, and during the mornings and evenings when I'm home, we spend a lot of time playing and cuddling together (she's a very affectionate cat).
    Now when she was a kitten, I was home almost every day, all day, so she got my undivided attention for a good 3 months.
    If you're very concerned, you may consider adopting two kittens to keep each other company. Otherwise, make sure that when you are home, your kitten is getting lots of attention and when you're gone, make sure she/he has lots of toys (including some that squeak) to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Getting two is a good idea, especially if they are going to be left indoors all day.Try and pick them carefully so they get on well.

If you scroll back through previous threads here, there are quite a few on this subject if you want lots of info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Two would be the ideal way to go, after the inital kitten phase, cats tend to lounge around a lot anyway so won't mind being at home during the day, especially if they have company in the form of another cat.
    Just make sure you provide a good scratching post or similar if you don't want to come home to your sofa edges shredded to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 erinselbow

Two is definitely the way to go, they amuse each other. Make sure to get them neutered at 6mts, this also makes them better house cats as well as being beneficial to their overall health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

My aunt's stray has had 5 kittens 9 weeks ago.

She has had them wormed and their first injection is tomorrow.

How do two siblings get on together?

Should I get 2 Males, 2 Females or one of each?

Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

definetly get 2
    we've 1 mail & 1 female & they seem to contrast with each other nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I was told by the lady at the rescue place where I got my two, that a brother and sister are the best combination. (Obviously neutering and spaying v. nb!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

WellyJ wrote: »
    My aunt's stray has had 5 kittens 9 weeks ago.

She has had them wormed and their first injection is tomorrow.

How do two siblings get on together?

Should I get 2 Males, 2 Females or one of each?

Thanks for the info!

We have two queens and no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 erinselbow

Siblings have a strong bond from birth and generally like each other having played together since they were able to! Most of the animal charities home a litter in pairs where possible.

Advertisement