Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Info needed regarding Masters

• 14-11-2007 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Hi, apologies in advance if I have posted this thread in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.

I recently started a new job with D.A.A and I love it, it has given me a new leease of life. Only problem is, altohough I am loving it now, I don't see myself loving it for life, and I feel I would need to further my education in order to further my career.

I have a BA Hons Degree in Media Production and Media Management, but to be honest, its not the most focused qualification in the world, and a dedicated Masters would probably make a huge difference to the direction I take next.

I am very interested in continuing to work with the public, in a PR, Public Affairs, Communications type role.

Ideally I will find a Part Time, or Distance Learning course to suit my needs, but I haven't a clue where to start looking as any of my friends who obtained a Masters, did so on a full time basis.

Can anyone help me??

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

First off, best of luck with it. I don't really know your area, but I can give some general advice. Don't rush into a masters, pick one that will strengthen some skills that you realise you really need after working for a bit.

You may be at that stage at the moment, or getting there. Try and find some people working in the kind of job that you'd like in five years, get in touch with them and see if they will meet you for a coffee. Most people are enthused when someone looks up to them and says, 'how did you get where you are?' You may have to navigate your way through secretaries and appointment books, but anyone will give you 15 minutes if you make an impression on them.

Hopefully some people that have done masters in your field will give you some more specific advice, and all the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Thanks a million for the advice. I just got off the phone with someone from the D.A.A Public Affairs dept.
    They felt that a masters wasn't really needed, considering the qualifications I already have, but suggested I take a look at one of the Part Time / Distance Learning courses available at the Fitzwilliam Institute.
    Has anyone ever attended the Institute? How did you get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

hello OP:
    take it that D.A.A. is the Airport Authority. Given that you are working in north county Dublin, you might consider the postgrad media courses on offer at DCU. If you don't find the current job very challenging, you might consider having a go at some of the courses there. They're tough going, but might offer the reward of a more substantial qualification that the Fitzwilliam Institute you mentioned. Several VEC colleges offer the Diploma in PR, you might also consider.
    Fair play for making a go of it. It's a very interesting field

Advertisement