Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling for a year, worth bringing a laptop?

• 14-11-2007 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

just looking for a bit of advice,
    heading off travelling in March for a year and i was wondering is it worth my while bringing my laptop with me??

I plan to spend 6-8 weeks going through Asia and then onto Oz for 6months of working and then the route back is not known yet, my problem isnt the weight of carrying a laptop or anything( its a Dell Inspiron) but more the fact that it'l get pinched along the way, obviously for photos/internet in wireless places/airport use/communicating with home etc it would be great to have it with me but maybe it would be a daft idea considering the places i may have to stay......

If anyone could give some thoughts id appreciate it.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I don't think its worth the hassle, you mightn't get internet access in a lot of the places you will be. If it was me I would just find internet cafes, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Cheiftan

I have travelled quite a bit and have seen lots of people with laptops and always thought Why? you'll find loads of internet caffs around , speeds may vary from place to place but you'll still be able to e mail, surf and upload to photo sites etc etc .

If you have to regularly hop on and off buses/boats/planes/taxi's/ tuk tuks / donkeys ! etc etc you'll be very happy to only have a ruck sack and daypack to contend with also I personally had enough bother worrying about me camera, mp3 player, phone and wallet let alone worrying about a laptop .

For sure they are a gift if you wanna head into a mc donalds / starbucks etc etc and use it to call home with skype but you can do that in any internet caff.

Leave the laptop @ home and have a ball:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Cheiftan wrote: »
    I have travelled quite a bit and have seen lots of people with laptops and always thought Why? you'll find loads of internet caffs around , speeds may vary from place to place but you'll still be able to e mail, surf and upload to photo sites etc etc .

If you have to regularly hop on and off buses/boats/planes/taxi's/ tuk tuks / donkeys ! etc etc you'll be very happy to only have a ruck sack and daypack to contend with also I personally had enough bother worrying about me camera, mp3 player, phone and wallet let alone worrying about a laptop .

For sure they are a gift if you wanna head into a mc donalds / starbucks etc etc and use it to call home with skype but you can do that in any internet caff.

Leave the laptop @ home and have a ball:D

Cheers, ya thats my line of thought too, il have enough to worry about, i guess when i get to Oz( and kinda settled) i can always get it sent over and then send it back when i move on again to complete the trip.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm going travelling in April and i'm going to bring my laptop, but only because I'm only travelling around Asia for three weeks and am then settling in Wellington, where I'll have a base to leave it. Because I'll basically be living there as normal I feel I'll need my laptop. if I was travelling for any longer I wouldn't bring it, there is a lot of internet cafes about and you're right, if you need it when you're in Oz you can get it sent over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Dear god don't bring the laptop!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've been in new zealand for a year and i brought mine with me. When i was settled in a place working it was well handy but when i was moving around it was a nuisance. i probably wouldnt bring it in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

I´m travelling at the moment and really wanted one when i got to Buenos Aires because everyone seemed to have one and i thought it would be handy. Now that i´m a couple of months down the line though i´m so glad i don´t. I don´t know where youll be but i´m sure mine would have been nicked. Also i´m going to be in China and i´m told theyre mega cheap there so i´m going bargain hunting.

Don´t bring it...you need everything you have to be disposable if needs be!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sell it, it'll be out of date when you get back. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I brought mine and so glad I did now I've decided to stay. Wouldn't be posting this otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

I'm going to Australia in january and I'm playing it by ear when I get there. Not sure whether I'll be settling or travelling etc. Luckily though my sister lives in Sydney so if I decide to feck off to somewhere else for a while I can stash it in hers till I get back.

In your case I'd say leave it at home. You could rent a security deposit box somewhere over there although maybe thats going a little too far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement