Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

700 vs. 28 (tyre sizes)

Options
  • 14-11-2007 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Opening myself to ridicule here, but is there a difference between these tyre sizes, other than imperial vs. metric? (700C if I recall correctly).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

There's a difference but it's qualitative, not quantitative: 700C is the wheel size, whereas 28mm is the tyre width.
    souter wrote: »
    Opening myself to ridicule here, but is there a difference between these tyre sizes, other than imperial vs. metric? (700C if I recall correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Sheldonbrown goes into great details here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Basically, 700C is the same as 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/4

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Hi, I skimmed the Sheldon article, I'm amazed I've ever managed to buy tyres!

What prompted the question was I'd always bought tyres by showing the shoppy the bike, and tubes based on 28 * (fractiona I can't remember) * (fraction I can't remember) written on the side of said tyre (or asking for racing tubes).
    Then I bought some tyres from a well known Irish web site as 700c. They were _way_ easier to fit than my previous tyres so I wondered if there was a tiny difference in (wheel) diameter. I guess any difference was due to product variability rather than systematic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

souter wrote: »
    I guess any difference was due to product variability rather than systematic.

Yes, some brands tend to go on easier than others. Also can depend on the rim as well. Some seem marginally tighter than others.

Advertisement