Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cluain Mhuire

• 14-11-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Hey, any chance of getting this stickied?

Even though the Cluain Mhuire Campus is essentially GMIT, there a massive problem of segregation because of the distance of the two colleges.

There are alot of issues in Cluain Mhuire, which also affect the Main Campus, so hopefully we can get some of them out and discussed.

There are also many things happening in the Main Campus of which we are not aware. Most students are unhappy with this, and there have been numerous meetings between students to arrange protests.

One of the major topics being, our lack of any student services.

I would advice the other GMIT campuses; Letterfrack, Castlebar and Mountbellew to also create threads.

-Red

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

Is there no SU office there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

None...

the only thing we have is a "Head Student Representative" who is in contact with the Dublin Rd. Campus on a regular basis.

It's not a paid job though, and she's still doing her degree, so her time is split. It's difficult to juggle both college work and responsibilties.

Student concerns can't always be heard, so I think it is a good idea to bring them up here, so that any major topics can be discussed and relayed to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rob08

GMIT is an absolute disgrace. Board of management are timewasters..I would not advise any prospective student to choose GMIT. There is nothing that any SU can do, or any protest can achieve. Its a complete shambles. Cant wait to see the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

rob08.
    I must disagree, while the management maybe slow to implement change. They are far from a bunch of wasters.

Why are you calling them wasters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

rob08 wrote: »
    GMIT is an absolute disgrace. Board of management are timewasters..I would not advise any prospective student to choose GMIT. There is nothing that any SU can do, or any protest can achieve. Its a complete shambles. Cant wait to see the back of it.

That's a bit harsh, i'l i know their is alot of fustration but i agree with Aginite, they are not wasters, if your only in 1st or 2nd year you got to understand lots of college across ireland are all the same, it takes for ages to get anything done, thats just managment. it's tested my patients to the last alot and really is down to the system ability to accepting change.

Yes the SU have little power but they know that and they are trying to solve it.

For now i'd be glad that their is alot of very nice and decent lectures that a will to help, it's freindly college and they don't get too bogged down in politics all most colleges that i know of.

• Advertisement

... and it's not a fashion parade every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rob08

ARGINITE wrote: »
    rob08.
    I must disagree, while the management maybe slow to implement change. They are far from a bunch of wasters.

Why are you calling them wasters?

I didnt call them wasters, I called them 'time-wasters'. I might have been a little harsh ok. But I expected a lot more from a very reputible college. And im not at all surprised that there are many other colleges in the same boat. Thats what happens with every state-run programme in this country. I must say tho, the new facilities are excellent, but the restrictions on the GMIT computers, is nothing short of ridiculous.
    Peace..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

rob08 wrote: »
    I must say tho, the new facilities are excellent, but the restrictions on the GMIT computers, is nothing short of ridiculous.
    Peace..:cool:

Ahh, they could always be better, it's better then before, but they must not sit on that. Regards the computers well personally i hate seeing access to the internet limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

rob08 wrote:
    but the restrictions on the GMIT computers, is nothing short of ridiculous.

Please name said restrictions.

If you are talking about bebo/myspace/face book website blocking then I dont think it is ridiculous at all. People who use those sort of website while others que to wait for a machine should be stuck up a dogs a**e and the dog shot. They should be removed from the web let alone being ban from the college.

The blocking of a large number of sites is a requirement. I can count on a single hand the number of sites that people could need to access that are blocked.

As for installing software or running services, well student really dont need to. If you have a requirement to run certain software for your course than it can be installed by talking to the right people.

@ rob08 - what course and year are you in for a matter of fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

The blocked access is needed and I find it actually helps in getting work done, you don't go off checking whatever site like youtube and end up wasting an hour or two, although people are still accessing bebo, I see a few bebo screens in there the odd time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

Back to the original topic, it was good to get the positive response / committment from the main GMIT management after the proposed student protest, but has any of it been implemented yet? I see that a computer room beside the film tech's room is open now, but since I haven't heard if it's ok for any student to use it I'm afraid to go in :$ Have they sorted out the colour printers yet? I think a lot of the problems we had / have in Cluain Mhuire are just down to the lack of a dedicated IT technician for our campus, which you'd think wouldn't be too hard to remedy.

As far as the internet firewalls are concerned, I find them ridiculously strict. On more than one occasion it has blocked Google search result pages because one of the results had the word "youtube" or "myspace" in it! Having said that, there are ways around them, though I hate to see college resources wasted on Bebo etc as much as the next person.

Apparently it's not realistic to have a full-time technician employed for the college, which i think is quite ridiculous. I mean, they only got around to fixing the blue printing box thingy on the second floor today. And that's been outta commission since I started last year...

Advertisement