Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another website Feedback request...

Options
  • 14-11-2007 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

Be Harsh .. :)

I'm looking for some feedback on my latest design ... I'm hoping that by getting it out there in the public eye it'll make me go .. oh damn yeah I should have thought of that and spur me to make changed / update it a bit faster ... I had created the original design in september. Unfortunately with client work I've not had much time to work on my own site

The site is www.forbairtmedia.ie

Content in there is sparce for the moment.

Any C&C are welcome. I always like to think its better to have them from your peers than your clients :)

Cheers,
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Adblock isn't very friendly to your about page. Change the filenames of ad_left_img.png & ad_right_img.png.

Otherwise, pretty nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Ginger chick is gawking at me like I'm her yoga instructor... can't you photoshop a bag over her head or something? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

henbane wrote: »
    Adblock isn't very friendly to your about page. Change the filenames of ad_left_img.png & ad_right_img.png.

Didn't see that one coming at all :) ... updated to zengirl_left / right cheers
    henbane wrote: »
    Otherwise, pretty nice.

Ginger chick is gawking at me like I'm her yoga instructor... can't you photoshop a bag over her head or something? :/

You're not the first one to say this :D (and you probably won't be the last :eek:)

A friends quote on this was ...
    just a bit weird... she's kinda freaking me out

shes staring at me at the left... i get intimidated so i turn to the right... and there she is again staring more intently

I've a number of other images I am going to use for the different pages .. I'll see about getting something else to replace this image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I like it. A very nice clean design and I can see exactly what's going on. The layout looks like it can hold good sized nuggets of information easy for the user to digest.
    I had a look a the code too and it looks professional. I didn't have time to validate it though but I would assume you have taken care of that yourself.
    Some things I would change. On the About and Contact pages, I would make the picture of the girl smaller, because it pushes what I want to se further down. It looks pretty, but content comes first.
    The navigation at the top is nice, but change the green font to something more contrasting. Like a nice black-gray color.
    On the black nav menu, the Home, About, Contact links should do something when you hover over them, (they don't in safari for the mac).

In the featured project section, try to squeeze in two clients instead of one, if you can, otherwise it's fine.

Good job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Nice and clean. Does what it says on the tin so to speak. A bit too safe to stand out too far from the crowd but good nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I really don't understand why you have yer wan there... what is she supposed to be saying about your business? she's a bit too prominent for me as well, i think the stark contrast in the photo has a tendency to overpower the rest of the page.

i like pretty much everything else about the design...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just small things really, but can you make your links stand out - they shouldn't be the same format as the normal text - they should be underlined or something.

I am not a grammar Nazi, but I'm sure you're aware of a few small things to be corrected - for example "It's a fully Irish owned business operating from Galway, Ireland."

Just personal preference, but I think I would have some sort of hover for the Home | About | Contact links at the top.

I'm not too bothered one way or the opther about stock photos, but not mad on them if they're the focus of the main page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

eoin_s wrote: »
    I am not a grammar Nazi,
    ... I am, especially since reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

On the About page, where he received a Bachelor Degree in Electronic Engineer in 2000 - I think that this should be "where he received a Bachelors Degree in Electronic Engineering in 2000"
    Services offered range from simple visually attractive brochure websites to full e-commerce systems as well as web based applications. Though they have also been involved in a number of Print Media campaigns.
    Maybe add a comma: simple, visually attractive.
    Though they have - maybe Forbairt Media has.

Irish owned - should it have a hyphen: Irish-owned or is that an optional bit of punctuation?

daymobrew wrote: »

On the About page, where he received a Bachelor Degree in Electronic Engineer in 2000 - I think that this should be "where he received a Bachelors Degree in Electronic Engineering in 2000"

Would that not be Bachelor's degree then?

Cheers everyone for the feedback ...

The plan with the girl was to have some advertising text of some sort over it ... For the moment I've not come up with anything and it seems a lot of people don't like her there .. so I'll see about changing it but thats a bigger change than I want to do just at the moment
    pontovic wrote: »
    The navigation at the top is nice, but change the green font to something more contrasting. Like a nice black-gray color.
    On the black nav menu, the Home, About, Contact links should do something when you hover over them, (they don't in safari for the mac).

In the featured project section, try to squeeze in two clients instead of one, if you can, otherwise it's fine.

I've changed the top nav links to a darker text and they now have a text-decoration on hover

Similarly the main nav now has a text-decoration on hover

I'm not sure how well 2 features would work there as I want to have a nice chunk of text as well as an image and one you start shrinking the page to 1024 it doesn't leave a lot of room to play with.
    Laslo wrote: »
    Nice and clean. Does what it says on the tin so to speak. A bit too safe to stand out too far from the crowd but good nonetheless.

Cheers ... I've one or two ideas with some javascript web2.0 stuff that I'll implement but I'm just not sure how best to go about it at the moment .. google being able to follow the links being my main concern
    I really don't understand why you have yer wan there... what is she supposed to be saying about your business? she's a bit too prominent for me as well, i think the stark contrast in the photo has a tendency to overpower the rest of the page.

i like pretty much everything else about the design...

points noted and am looking into it as said above thanks for the feedback :)
    Just small things really, but can you make your links stand out - they shouldn't be the same format as the normal text - they should be underlined or something.

I am not a grammar Nazi, but I'm sure you're aware of a few small things to be corrected - for example "It's a fully Irish owned business operating from Galway, Ireland."

Just personal preference, but I think I would have some sort of hover for the Home | About | Contact links at the top.

I'm not too bothered one way or the opther about stock photos, but not mad on them if they're the focus of the main page.

I've updated the links to have underlines in the main body not exactly happy with what I've done but its a bit clearer for the moment. I've updated the text cheers .. English not being my strong point is a bit annoying and I more than likely miss a lot of things ... guess its time to start writing up in word first and doing the grammar / spell check before I add to the site :)

Again cheers everyone for the feedback :)

• Advertisement

forbairt wrote: »
    I've updated the links to have underlines in the main body not exactly happy with what I've done but its a bit clearer for the moment.

Make them bold, or a different colour then - but there has to be some way to tell them from normal text without the user having to just move the mouse around before they find the link.

daymobrew wrote: »

On the About page, where he received a Bachelor Degree in Electronic Engineer in 2000 - I think that this should be "where he received a Bachelors Degree in Electronic Engineering in 2000" Maybe add a comma: simple, visually attractive.
    Though they have - maybe Forbairt Media has.

Irish owned - should it have a hyphen: Irish-owned or is that an optional bit of punctuation?
    Would that not be Bachelor's degree then?

to this I have to say .. me speaky the good engrIsh :D

But on a more serious note its clear to me I should look into having someone halfway decent with the english language doing up the content on the site. Its not something I particularly enjoy and probably takes me way to long to come up with content for the site though I have the bones of what I want in most cases. It also reflects badly on the business. (

Cheers for the corrections :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I wouldn't mind giving it a thorough review at some stage.

Is the site completed? is their more content to come?

I think you really would benefit from some copyrighting help.

zabbo wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind giving it a thorough review at some stage.

Is the site completed? is their more content to come?

I think you really would benefit from some copyrighting help.

there's a lot more content to come ... I've to update the portfolio with 20 sites or thereabouts giving descriptions and so on .. I've only the one on there at the moment and a link to another

I've to add articles to the site ...

Some examples of flash work as well as screenshots of some applications I've worked on if the clients allow that have to check with them first.

My problem just at the moment is client work takes precedence but ah well :) I'll get there eventually ..

Advertisement