Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up another subject at this stage in the game?

Options
  • 14-11-2007 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Does anyone know is it possible for me to begin another subject at this stage, as im in 6th year now. I'm having some trouble with Biology and really wish I'd have got Music in it's place, as I chose Music ove rit when selecting options. I'm a guitarist and know alot of music theory already so Im sure I could scrape at least a C in music. Does anyone know of anywhere that I could go to take this subject up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Why does that matter marshmallow?

Ya I can relate on the biology front, am finding it very tough, Ask the music teacher at your school and say what he/she says?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

in fairness its important to know, if you live in dublin you could go to the institute and get a grind (not that id promote the place but its one of many centres)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I dont know anything bout music, but its definitely possible to take up a subject in sixth year and do well at it. I for one took up applied maths and know of loads of people that take it on in one year, dunno how helpful that is though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The DIT does a specific 1 year LC music course, assuming you already know theory, it'll teach you set works and stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    Does anyone know is it possible for me to begin another subject at this stage, as im in 6th year now. I'm having some trouble with Biology and really wish I'd have got Music in it's place, as I chose Music ove rit when selecting options. I'm a guitarist and know alot of music theory already so Im sure I could scrape at least a C in music. Does anyone know of anywhere that I could go to take this subject up?

I would say it's definitely do-able, i had a friend take up music half way through 6th year, with little to no theory and get a C1. He had three classes off of me, and i knew feck all, we both got C1's(I was the same, just decided to take it up). With about 10 hours work total, i'm not joking either. We both had 50% as a practical though, i've been playing guitar for 6 years and he's about the same so that got us the pass. But i would say yes most definitely do-able even now.
    they were higher level C1's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

yes!! thats what my friend did last yr. . she dropped history and took up music
    she like did the whole course thing in an year

However I'd say you need a good teacher and have to put in alot of work on it( if you want do good) ...but if i were you i 'd still abit worrying because you don't have much time left + u need loads time for other subjects as well..if you know what i mean ..but thats just me

is biology really that bad ? i mean may be give an other try
    learn your stuff and see ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

If you have good theory (grade 4 or 5 i'd say) and a good instrument music is extremely do-able in the time remaining.

Advertisement