Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hatch vs Saloon

Options
  • 14-11-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Having moved here from the UK in 2000, I notice that the proportion of saloons is a lot higher in Ireland than in Britain. e.g. standard cars like Astra/Focus/Golf/Megane/Corrola etc. which can be got in saloon versions for a few quid more. These all are notoriously small sellers in Britain - I would guess because mid-size family cars like these are much more practical in hatchback form - saloons don't really have very large boots until you go up a size (Mondeo/Passat etc.)

Upon inquiring, I get the impression that Irish people actually think they're getting better value from a saloon Astra/Focus or whatever as for only a few quid more, they're getting much bigger (and grown-up looking) car. Whereas in fact the saloons tend to be identical to the hatch from the rear wheels forward, are only a couple of inches longer at the back, but in fact have smaller overall load capacities than the hatchbacks.

Comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Probably a factor of our tax system; people want a "bigger" car but don't want to pay the extra to move up a segment. Never understood it myself; all the models you mention look better and are more practical in h'back form. The only one in that segment that looks better in saloon is the Mazda3 IMO.

Same in the States, but there its because h'backs are for whining euro-weeny-pinko-commies. Am always amazed to see saloon equivalents of Yariseses and the like over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saloon says "a bit posher" ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

cjt156 wrote: »
    Same in the States ... Am always amazed to see saloon equivalents of Yariseses and the like over there.
    Yes, likewise the number of saloon Polos and Seat Cordobas here (Polos/Ibizas/Cordobas are all made in the same factory in Spain) - they just look plain wrong to me!

mike65 wrote: »
    Saloon says "a bit posher" ;)
    Yes, but some people genuinely believe they're getting a bigger model of car. e.g. my sister-in-law drives a Focus hatch and her hubby has a Focus saloon. Some weeks back she was in my car (C-Max) and commented on my parking technique, and I told her that actually the C-Max isn't really any bigger than the Focus as they're based on the same platform.

But she then proceeded to tell me how much harder she finds parking her hubby's saloon compared to her hatch - and she wasn't talking about reverse parking (which most women can't do anyway)! I tried to explain that the two cars are actually identical from the rear wheels forward, but she wouldn't believe me, convinced the saloon is bigger!

Reverse parking or parrallel parking? :)

The small saloon mentality is long standing here, I recall Mk1 Polos with a boot and the Ford Orion was quite popular even as it sat unloved on forecourts across the UK. Oh and when the Vento was introduced it arrived here six months ahead of the UK.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Reverse parking or parrallel parking? :)
    Actually, we were just talking about going forwards into a parking space, which like I said would be the same for hatch and saloon. Women always seem to do this - rather than reverse into a space which is actually easier as you get more turn angle pivoting round the fixed rear wheels.

I'll admit parallel parking is a tricky maneuver at the best of times, and would be different in the saloon as it's slightly longer than the hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I alwasy had saloon cars but recently switched to a hatchback. It was not my first preference but sometimes when buying used you don't always get everything you want. I must say though that the hatchback is alot easier to park. You don't have to take into account the boot sticking out at the rear.

BTW anyone remember some really ugly saloon cars derived from hatchbacks that were obviously afterthoughts.

Opel Corsa (Vauxhall Nova):
    X82Corsa1.jpg

Or VW Derby:
    volkswagen_derby_1978_01_s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think this has traditionally been the trend in Ireland (popular small saloons), but I've noticed a bit of a move away from them in the last couple of years... e.g. the Astra saloon is no longer available,the current Focus saloon doesn't appear to be as plentiful as the MK1 version was, there's no longer a VW Polo saloon either.
    I believe estate derivatives are very popular in continental europe, but obviously not at all popular here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Always thought the Mazda 626 (92-97 edition) looked great in H/B format, the saloons looked very boring in comparison!

Yes Joe, I agree there are less saloons around now than when I arrived 7 years ago. And funnily enough, in the Focus range, I think the new saloon compares really well to the hatch whereas with the Mk. 1 that wasn't the case.

And, yes estates are very popular in Germany, but then Audi/BMW/Merc all make quite smart looking estates - not too big and boxy like traditional ones ala Volvo. But they're on the slide too, as well as saloons. MPVs and SUVs are increasingly popular family cars now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Did I read (here?)that Ireland is the only place in Europe the current Toyota Corolla saloon is sold.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

only country in Europewhere it's sold in right hand drive (IE they don't sell them in the UK!)

Sens_de_circulation.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Did I read (here?)that Ireland is the only place in Europe the current Toyota Corolla saloon is sold.
    Same with the new and old model Civics.. only saloon available in the UK is the Hybrid (formerly IMA). All the rest are hatchbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I don't like saloons at all, too boring. The only ones I would like are the ones with a big spoiler on the back! Hatches and estates for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I always thought it was similar to Irish peoples obsession with land and property - a saloon covers a bigger 'acreage', you're getting more 'footprint' for your money - and also more prestige. The Megane MkI (and II I think) was marketed in this country on it's large dimensions.

People may laugh but up to 15 years ago anyone who could afford a new Corolla was pretty comfortable and a Carina-sized car was positively prestige - similar to the kudos an Audi A4/Bimmer 3-series/SUV might carry now. The small saloon was a shortcut to this kind of status - the Quash-cow of it's day perhaps!

Advertisement