Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 14-11-2007 2:43pm

I'm trying to figure out which package is the best with regards to mobile broadband i.e. 02, Vodafone, 3, Irish Broadband, Clearwire.

Currently I'm staying in rented accommodation, and the landlord is unwilling to get a phoneline activated. We don't have NTL and my housemates are unwilling to get anything along that line. So I am forced to chose one of those. Which ones are the best with regards to speed, cost, etc.

I live in Galway city.

Which is best 4 votes

0% 0 votes
    Vodafone
    50% 2 votes
    50% 2 votes
    Clearwire
    0% 0 votes
    Irish Broadband
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think it's a bit misleading to put a poll, when it's only your own area (Galway) and Clearwire and IBB Ripwave are not actually Mobile. They are portable/Nomadic.

Won't your landlord allow an external plastic box? (Fixed Wireless).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

watty wrote: »
    I think it's a bit misleading to put a poll, when it's only your own area (Galway) and Clearwire and IBB Ripwave are not actually Mobile. They are portable/Nomadic.

I agree, this poll will not tell you which service is best in galway city. It depends on signal and users of that service in the area. I have vodafone in a rural area and getting around half a meg per second which is fine for me as there is no other broadband in the area.

I suggest you could try all the services if you like as you get a free trial period with vodafone, O2 and 3. A few drawbacks is the HUAWEI usb modem might not be compatible with your pc(bios) so you might need to upgrade the usb device.
    I had this problem with the 3 device. I know people who had problems also with the 02 and vodafone devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Ask the landlord about fixed wireless. A small box outside the house fixed near the roof.

We have it and it with IBB Breeze and it works very well. Play XBox Live on it and everything. The more mobile solutions can't play games very well or be used for VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Well unless you have tried them all; voting for one or the other would not be a fair reflection. It will not give you an idea of the people with bad experiences.

Also some work better in different regions.

Maybe to get a better reflection, each service could have a good or a bad box to tick, just like the main broadband poll.

Boopolo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Closed the poll and modified the topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement