Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband router problem - help needed please !

Options
  • 14-11-2007 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Set-up BT wired router and was able to connect to Internet no problem.
    But tried using two different wireless routers (BT and NetGear) and am unable to get ADSL connection. Firmware up-to-date in both routers.
    Used same login & settings in Wired and Wireless.
    Am using a Dell Vostro with in-built wireless card and running Windows Vista.
    Thanks for any help, as this is very frustrating and Tech Support can't help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

On the router setup page.
    Go to advanced....then go to Internet. Then go to ADSL up at the top. Untick the lower 3 tick boxes. tick seamless rate adaption.
    Save your changes. Power off your router. Give it a few minutes. switch on the router and see if you get synch then.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

Briantwin,
    I already tried this, but no change.
    thanks for your help though. Any other ideas?
    P.S. I'm having same problem.

Where in the house is the router?? Do your standard synching test,unplug all the devices off the phone line: Phones,faxes,sky digital etc. then plug the router directly into the main drop point usually near your front door. if it synchs. Put the micro filter on. if it synchs again,add your phone devices on one by one. If you can synch @ the main drop point with everything unplugged. you might have a line fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Switch to the windows software instead of the Dell... go into Network Connections and right click on Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Wireless Networks > Use Windows to Configure my Wireless Network.

Now close that and right click on the wireless network connection again and select View Available Wireless Networks and connect from there instead. Also turn off your cordless phones for a test, they can interfere.

I am using main phone point at front door, with no telephones/digital/fax switched on.
    The settings for Wireless Networds in Windows Vista are a little different, but tried there too.
    What I can't understand is that it works fine with the BT Wired modem(router), so the line can't be the problem, can it?
    Thanks ... Any other ideas?

• Advertisement

Sorry i thought you couldn't get DSL synch. Wireless issue...shouldn't be too tough...may need to revconfigure your wireless security settings on the router while you're connected via ethernet. change it from default WEP 128bit ASCII to WPA-PSK. that might do the trick.

Right Click My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services > WLAN Auto Config > Properties - Make sure the startup type is Automatic and then click Start.

Then open up the Start Menu, click "Connect To", select the Wireless Network and enter your network key.

Thanks both ... will try those this evening, and fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Hi - I've tried both of these and still having the same problem - any other ideas?

Could this be a Vista specific problem?

Possibly, did you upgrade to Vista?

Also, what happens when you connect to the router - or try connect - be specific.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say that ADSL/Internet light just continues to flash green (as if there is no Broadband connection in the line). My machine is new and came with Vista. Thanks

Does it come us as "connected" to the wireless network? The DSL line flashing means it's not getting a strong enough signal, try moving your modem to your main phone point and disconnecting any phones in the house... then connect from there and see if you get a solid DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

No Vista came pre-installed on the laptop.

Connected both wired and wireless router the same way i.e phone line from router directly to phone socket and ethernet cable from laptop to router -> logged on to settings of the router 192.168.0.1 -> enter user name and password supplied by BT -> wired router = connected successfully and DSL light is constant green, wireless router = no DSL connection found and DSL light flashes green.

Totally Bizarre I know !

EireEV

auggie - thanks.
    I am using the main phone connection.
    The Wireless light on router is OK - stays green, and I can also access Router Admin page to check settings. Machine can see Router, but Router cannot see Internet for some reason.

Connecting wireless wouldn't affect the DSL light in anyway, what's the model of router you are trying to connect with? Which lights are on at the moment?

Sounds like your user name and password maybe be entered incorrect. What user name are you using? Make sure it's all small letters.

Model is BT Voyager 2110 Wireless Router.
    I'm in work at the mo, but Power, Wireless & Port 4 lights stay green, and ADSL/Internet light just flashes green.

Ok, reset the modem (hold the reset button in until the power light goes red, then let go)...

On your computer, search for wireless networks and select your BT Voyager from the list...

It will ask you for your Network Key (on the pink sticker underneath your router)...

Enter it, get connected and then open up your Internet Explorer...

In the address bar, type 192.168.1.1 and enter your user name and password...

Then click Connect!

Found Network key on Pink sticker (underside of router), and went into Windows - Network - Wireless - Setup, and it worked OK.
    Thanks auggie & brian .... you were a lot more help than BT tech support !

shanev13 wrote: »
    Found Network key on Pink sticker (underside of router), and went into Windows - Network - Wireless - Setup, and it worked OK.
    Haha funny you mention that...

No problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

shanev13 wrote: »

I thought all ISP provided a user idiot proof manuel for all customers :rolleyes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I have a variation of this problem. Plugged Voyager 2110 modem into main phone socket and Wireless and Power lights came on but DSL light flickered and stayed out.
    Took the gear to another socket and everything worked perfectly. It seems obvious that there is a fault with the first socket BUT when I used it for dial-up there were no problems!
    Any suggestions, please?

Not sure if anyone still out there, but have a new problem now!
    When I use a filter, the router does not pick up the internet and ADSL light flashes green.
    Once I connect directly to the line, it works perfectly.
    Have tried 4 different filters...3 dual and 1 single.
    Any ideas ?

Advertisement