Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slowing down to turn without stopping

Options
  • 14-11-2007 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey guys quick question you may be able to help me with.

When I am coming up to a turn where there is no requirement to stop, I slow down and change into second.

If my speed has reduced to point where the car is labouring a bit, can I press the clutch down in order to make
    the manoeuvre smoother before I begin accelerating again ?

My understanding is that I should not use first gear because that is only for
    moving off from a stop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

If its labouring in 2nd then Id say its fine to drop to 1st. Theres no rules saying 1st is only for starting off. Most new cars can go in 2nd at very low speeds but with an older car theres noproblem dropping to 2nd as its better than having the car "juddering"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Macca says, most new cars (anything from '95 in my experience) can go slow speeds (5mph) in second without difficulty. If you're driving a modern car and it's labouring in second when you're going around corners, then you're either not quite used to the car (I tend not to give my car enough credit for driving in second) or you're going just a bit too slowly around the corner.

It's not recommended to drop to first because unless you're nearly stopped, the car will jerk horribly when you lift the clutch and may slow very suddenly. In such circumstances, it can also reduce your control on the vehicle. I would avoid switching to first unless you're about to cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Definitly do not use the clutch to help you around anywhere as that would be coasting and you will get marked down for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

seamus wrote: »

It's not recommended to drop to first because unless you're nearly stopped, the car will jerk horribly when you lift the clutch and may slow very suddenly.

Unless your good enough to rev the engine to a certain speed as you're releasing the clutch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Definitly do not use the clutch to help you around anywhere as that would be coasting and you will get marked down for that one.
    Yes, one thing I've heard (and do consistently) is to only EVER use the clucth when changing gears or coming to a complete stop. The only exception being when travelling extremely slowly in 1st gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The corner out of my street is about 80 degrees (no stop sign) and to get round it I dip the clutch lightly whilst braking in 2nd....I do this because in 1st I'm over revving and in 2nd without brake/clutching in my speed is slightly too fast for safely getting around the turn.
    When around the turn I let the clutch back out fully and ease off the brake. At no time am I out of control, just stopping the engine from labouring.
    I can't believe that that would be considered coasting...but is it considered riding the clutch?
    I mean in my mind I'm doing the safest speed and getting around the corner in the best possible fashion...but would such thinking cost me my test?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I know you get marked down for 'coasting', but what's so wrong with it? I use the clutch to slow the car by coming down the gears, so I'm slowly releasing the clutch while doing this. I also cover the brake to help gently ease the speed. The car is under control so I dont see the problem. Can anyone enlighten me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

telecaster wrote: »
    I know you get marked down for 'coasting', but what's so wrong with it? I use the clutch to slow the car by coming down the gears, so I'm slowly releasing the clutch while doing this. I also cover the brake to help gently ease the speed. The car is under control so I dont see the problem. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Can anybody tell me is it (a) not recommended and (b) not good for the car to use the engine to slow the car down.

Is it better to brake to a certain speed and then change gears so that it is not necessary for the engine to slow you down?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

No, no, no! If you are talking about having the clutch down while going around the corner, then that's coasting. They will fail you for that.

j1979p wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me is it (a) not recommended and (b) not good for the car to use the engine to slow the car down.

Is it better to brake to a certain speed and then change gears so that it is not necessary for the engine to slow you down?

It's not recommended to use JUST the engine unless it's an emergency.(i.e. brake faillure!) I was taught to brake, then gear down. If you shift down without braking you will probably burn your clutch out in no time.

• Advertisement

telecaster wrote: »

The car is freewheeling when you coast. The braking and control provided by the engine make the car much easier to control in the event of an emergency.

Advertisement