Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a cat attack a kitten?

Options
  • 14-11-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, if a new cat is put into a house with a new kitten, is it possible that there could be problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yes ...very much depends on the cats.

some get on ...some fight ...most just hiss at each other for a few days and then settle down.

Just don't leave them without supervision for the first while, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I am talking 12 week kitten with 3 year old cat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

In the book 'Cat Confidential' (about cat psychology - god the things I spend my time on now!! :D) the author suggests that you should introduce the new kitten slowly ie
    Keep it to one room at first, and the older cat will get the scent of it for a few days. Then bring it into the room with the older cat in a cat carry case or something like that - so the kitten can't run up to the older cat to play and possibly annoy it. After you have done that a couple of times, then let the kitten out of its box under supervision and see how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't think the age of the cat would come into it if your cat is territorial enough.

A neighbour has just got a very young cat (or maybe just let it out for the first time) and I was very surprised to see one of our queens cuffing it for coming too close to our garden.

Like Peasant said, don't leave them alone for a while and introduce them gradually.

Also make sure they both have their own space, bowl, litter, etc.
    MsFifers wrote: »
    In the book 'Cat Confidential' (about cat psychology - god the things I spend my time on now!! :D) .

Reading one of her other books - 'Cat Counsellor' at the minute. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 erinselbow

Best thing to do with a new kitten is confine it to one room until it gets used to the new surroundings, then feed both cats at either side of a closed door. You can also put a piece of string with knots on either end under the door, they will start to play with it and get used to each others smells. After this you can use a door stop to leave the door open a wee bit...just enough so that they can see and smell each other but not enough so either party can get through. We have three cats that were all introduced at separate times and this process worked a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Yes.
    None of the cats I've had have ever taken well to new additions immediately, no matter how young and small. Expect a lot of hissing from the older cat. Samhain, my cat, was 3 years old when I brought Thor, a new kitten, home. Samhain, even though she'd never hissed at anything before, hissed at Thor and would hide in the bathtube anytime he was out. Thor was a brave little thing, and he had no problem walking right up to her and initiating 'play' - which Samhain didn't take too well. But eventually they 'fell in love.' They would cuddle with each other, clean each other, chase each other. It just took some time and patience to get there.
    erinselbrow had some really good suggestions for introducing the cat to the kitten. Keep a close eye on them when they're together for the first few times, just to see how the older cat reacts, especially when the kitten wants to play. It will give you an idea of how to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Jumpy wrote: »
    I am talking 12 week kitten with 3 year old cat here.

If you're expecting the older cat to take the young one in as a "child" and lick and cuddle it almost ot death until it is old enough and strong enough so that can both play together with their colourful wool balls like in a Disney cartoon...

...that's DEFINETLY NOT going to happen :D

The little kitten will be shown its place by the reigning "pasha" and depending on its character it will stand its ground or not. Depending on that, the transition will be either relatively smooth ...or not.

The degree of violence with which all of this happens is what you have to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Heh, there wont be reigning anything.
    They are both cats new to the house. One is mine that is being rehomed, the other is a kitten they are getting as they want two cats.
    Mine is a big softy, but he has always been an only cat, I wonder what difference it will make that they are both new to the house at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

HI Jumpy,
    Have just been in this sitution with introducing a young female kitten to our house and our existing 1 year old male cat. Was not good at first as she wanted to play and he kept pinning in her down and kicking her with his hind legs like they do when they have their prey. He was hurting geras she would squeal every so often. I had to seperate them for ages. It eased up a bit and I kept scolding and seperating them every time. he seemed to cotton on he wasn't allowed attack but she kept jumping him. I started letting them be together as I kind of knew he would't really harm her amd I came home yesterday to find them sharing a basket. Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful friendship (the male is neutered of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

I think it depends alot on gender too. Male cats, especially un-neutered rarely get along with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Another tip is to dab a little bit of vanilla under each of their chins so that they're giving off a similar scent. Obviously un-neutered males will not get on but neutered males should not have a problem. It really depends on the temperament of each cat. All cats should be neutered/spayed anyway when they're old enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If my cat is anything to go by the big cat will try and eat the little cat! My cat hates other cats and we've taken stray kittens in once or twice, for such a fat, cuddly and cute cat he can be really vicious and scary. However, this is territorial. Our house is his house and it has been for a long time (he's 15). I don't think it would be as bad if both cats were new. I doubt they'll be best friends at first and the big cat will probably want to mark his territory by pushing the kitten around but I'd say they'll get used to each other after a while and things will settle down. The fact that neither of them have territory to begin with will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

lubie76 wrote: »
    HI Jumpy,
    Have just been in this sitution with introducing a young female kitten to our house and our existing 1 year old male cat. Was not good at first as she wanted to play and he kept pinning in her down and kicking her with his hind legs like they do when they have their prey. He was hurting geras she would squeal every so often. I had to seperate them for ages. It eased up a bit and I kept scolding and seperating them every time. he seemed to cotton on he wasn't allowed attack but she kept jumping him. I started letting them be together as I kind of knew he would't really harm her amd I came home yesterday to find them sharing a basket. Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful friendship (the male is neutered of course).

I had almost the same experience but now they settle down together in the evening and groom each other! You need lots of patience and it depends on the cat's personality whether they will get along. Mine are now the best of friends but I was lucky. Ive attached a pic of them now asleep with each other! My vet gave me loads of advice so if in doubt the vets are always there for help and advice. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 maxruby

Hi.
    I am so glad to come across this thread. I am going through this at the minute. I have 2 cats, Max and Ruby. And found an abandoned kitten a few days ago. We have been keeping the kitten in a separate room (to prevent any fights and until she is vaccinated). But the atmosphere is frosty from the other two. Especially Ruby. She's always been the dominant cat, and hates to see any other animal near her territory. Max is only slightly put out.
    Will take on all advice given here. And keeping fingers toes and all else crossed that harmony will return.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dublingirl23

Heya Jumpy,

Well I had the sa,e issue when I rescued my male kitten. I already had a female and she wasn't one bit impressed with the idea of another kitten on her "Territory". What I did was, I introduced them very slowly IE: Opening doors a tiny bit, letting them smell each other and then closing the door agin. I found swapping bedding is really helpful.

All in all, the female didn't attack the male at all, just a bit of hissing and growling. Took about two weeks for the two of them to get used to each other. I'm sure if you're introducing them slowly, they're wont be an issue.

Hope this helped :)

Advertisement