Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gathering Exit Stats

Options
  • 14-11-2007 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Hopefully ya can help us out. I have a webpage we use a like a web portal in our company, on this webpage we have lots of links to other sites. What i'm trying to do is get some stats on which links are getting clicked to the external site.

For example pretend i have a webpage with three links on it, one to yahoo! one to google and one to boards.ie..... How can i build stats on which one is getting clicked most?

Only way i could think of was if i directed each link to another internal webpage, which would register the hit, then redirect to the external site. So if in the example above the people clicked Google, it would lead to another internal page which would register the hit then redirect to the main google site.

Only problem with this is, redirecting adds a short delay.
    Is there a faster way to redirect that dosnt involve a htaccess file?
    So any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Google Analytics would give you this information, especially easy to view using Site Overlay report.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

you use the <body onunload()> dom function to call an appropriate update function

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 theitking

How do i add the site overlay report? Like activate it?
    Right now it just throws up an error page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

theitking wrote: »
    How do i add the site overlay report? Like activate it?
    Right now it just throws up an error page.
    It should be an option in the analytics web interface...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ensure GA is installed correctly, verify that your tracking code isn't being blocked, wait for a few hours for some data to be collected and processed, then try again

GA != real time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Only way i could think of was if i directed each link to another internal webpage, which would register the hit, then redirect to the external site. So if in the example above the people clicked Google, it would lead to another internal page which would register the hit then redirect to the main google site.

Only problem with this is, redirecting adds a short delay.
    Is there a faster way to redirect that dosnt involve a htaccess file?
    So any ideas?
    Redirection is the way search engines track the clicks.
    Make the links something like '/redirection.php?http://www.site.com/path/to/file' , obviously encoding the url. redirection.php records the url and then does a "header('Location: http://www.site.com/path/to/file');"

Advertisement