Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil change

Options
  • 14-11-2007 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

i want to change oil and filter in my peugeot 407 i was wondering if anybody knows where the oil sump screw is situated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

coolguy wrote: »
    i want to change oil and filter in my peugeot 407 i was wondering if anybody knows where the oil sump screw is situated...

Should tell u in the owners manual or else google it and u should find the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

try the bottom of the sump. Where else could it be?

Frankly, without wishing to be put you off, if you need to ask this question it might be worth considering whether you feel confident to do the job.

Richard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I assume your asking this question because you dont have the manual??? - and with that said what is it with people losing or not having their manuals for their cars anymore!!!???

With regard to your question its should be visible from the underbody of your car , slide underneath your car and have a nosey with a torch! - as logically it would be located in a place thats easily accessible. (..but it is a peugeout afterall so it wouldnt surprise me :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

C_Breeze wrote: »
    I assume your asking this question because you dont have the manual??? - and with that said what is it with people losing or not having their manuals for their cars anymore!!!???
    They tend to go missing with the service history.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Frankly, without wishing to be put you off, if you need to ask this question it might be worth considering whether you feel confident to do the job.

Richard

Defo, If you have to ask, get someone who knows what they're doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

pablo21 wrote: »
    Defo, If you have to ask, get someone who knows what they're doing!
    ?? Were you all born with a knowledge of sump bolts? I see no reason why the OP can't ask a few questions, find out what he needs to know, and change the oil in his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Anan1 wrote: »
    ?? Were you all born with a knowledge of sump bolts? I see no reason why the OP can't ask a few questions, find out what he needs to know, and change the oil in his car.

Of course not but with modern engines its not the simple task it used to be and although not rocket science it does require a certain level of knowledge to ensure silly mistakes are not made and then there's warranty obligations to be considered, bringing a vehicle to the dealer for its service, serves more than just to change the oil, there may be recall's or service bulletins that you will not be aware of even though you do know how to open a sump screw!

Any way OP if its any help to you, the sump screw should be at or near the lowest position on the sump to allow all the oil to empty. Always fit a new sump screw (Couple of Euro max) and check the proper oil quantity and quality.

I manage a chain of service centres in both Ireland and the UK and I can impart countless horror stories where people thought they were mechanics! Just be clever about any work you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

pablo21 wrote: »
    Of course not but with modern engines its not the simple task it used to be and although not rocket science it does require a certain level of knowledge to ensure silly mistakes are not made and then there's warranty obligations to be considered, bringing a vehicle to the dealer for its service, serves more than just to change the oil, there may be recall's or service bulletins that you will not be aware of even though you do know how to open a sump screw!

Any way OP if its any help to you, the sump screw should be at or near the lowest position on the sump to allow all the oil to empty. Always fit a new sump screw (Couple of Euro max) and check the proper oil quantity and quality.

I manage a chain of service centres in both Ireland and the UK and I can impart countless horror stories where people thought they were mechanics! Just be clever about any work you do!

Lets hear some of these stories Pablo21 :D

Need a good laugh after a sh1tty day at work;)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

Richard

what do you mean....i've serviced numerous cars in my 45 yrs workin as a mechanic for nissan..now without been smart where is the sump screw..is it somewhere around the wheel arches..i've takin out all the screws and still no sign of oil anywhere..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

what do you mean....i've serviced numerous cars in my 45 yrs workin as a mechanic for nissan..now without been smart where is the sump screw..is it somewhere around the wheel arches..i've takin out all the screws and still no sign of oil anywhere..:mad:
    I wouldn't be suprised if there is NO sump plug. This was a measure introduced by Renault to stop home DIY service people changing the oil and forcing you to go to a dealer to change the oil and service the car.
    You can purchase one of those vacume oil removers (that you stick into the dip stick hole) for aprox €100. My buddy and I use our one all the time. i used to have a peugeot 406 and it was too much trouble to remove all the plastic covering under the engine bay to get at the sump plug. The manufactures have been making this akward for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be suprised if there is NO sump plug. This was a measure introduced by Renault to stop home DIY service people changing the oil and forcing you to go to a dealer to change the oil and service the car.
    You can purchase one of those vacume oil removers (that you stick into the dip stick hole) for aprox €100. My buddy and I use our one all the time. i used to have a peugeot 406 and it was too much trouble to remove all the plastic covering under the engine bay to get at the sump plug. The manufactures have been making this akward for years now.

Just cause there's no sump plug doesnt mean it's any ahrder to change your oil. As you said, one of those vacuum pumps works wonders. The only disadvantage is that they don't get every last drop of oil out, but not the end of the world stuff.

I have a SEALY vacuum pump, was expensive at about 80euro (trade) but christ it's worth every penny, to avoid any mess, have a tissue at hand when removing the pipe from the dip stick and clean the pipe as you pull it out. I use it every 100hours on the boat as it's impossible to get to the sump plug without lifting out the engine :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

i've serviced numerous cars in my 45 yrs workin as a mechanic for nissan..

Not being smart, but If you worked for 45 years as a mechanic i would assume you've worked on more than "numerous" cars! even 2 oil changes / year would equate to a hundred cars...
    i've takin out all the screws and still no sign of oil anywhere..:mad:

Again not being smart but if you were a mechanic you would know that the sump plug is a bolt not a screw. There should be no other bolt like it on the sump ( should need a 13mm or so ratchet), so if you've taken out other "screws" i would be quite worried...

Advertisement