Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducks!

• 14-11-2007 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

hey, this is my first post on this site!

I want to buy a duck as a christmas present and I have no idea were to get one.. I live in Co.Louth...

btw.. the person I am buying the duck for has experience with ducks, its not just a random gift!..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Generally I would say never give an animal as a gift, but if this person keeps ducks already and you know he will welcome another one then it's ok. You might wanna check up the legislation of buying and selling Game birds in Ireland, It may be illigal to trade in game if they are out of season. Ducks amongst other game birds are subject to strict laws.

You Might wanna talk to the Guys in Kinsealy pet shop Malahide rd. In Dublin, They make a promise that they will try and get any pet or accesory for someone (so long as it's legal of course). Thats where I would start if I wanted a duck, you can get some very fancy variaties of Duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Are you sure this person wants another duck ? I have quite a few ducks but wouldn't want someone buying me another one. Also 1 duck might find it hard to integrate into the established flock. How will you know if you are sold a duck or a drake? Its easy to tell once they are fully fledged but someone unscrupulous might sell you a drake to get rid of it as they are notoriously hard to shift. Personally don't think its a good idea, sorry.

If you do decide to go ahead there are usually a few for sale in the Buy and Sell and for the record ducks quack loudly, drakes are very quiet, just make very low pitched sort of quack noises. If it don't quack loudly when picked up it ain't a duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Thanks for the advice! yeah I am sure she wants a duck, she has been hinting about it for ages and the duck wont be integrated with other ducks because she hasnt go any ducks, it's her parents who have them so that wont be a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

In that case I'd suggest getting 2 as they like company. Khaki campbells and runner ducks lay well, but call ducks are very cute. Best of luck.

I have 2 young drakes for sale but I don't think thats what you want and I'm a bit far away but if anyone else is interested feel free to get in touch.

Advertisement