Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Engineering Degree

• 14-11-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

There's a Polish lad working on the bathroom in my house at the moment and he's studying Engineering back in Poland (He goes home twice a month the crazy f*cker).

Anyway, I was talking to him earlier and he was asking me if there's anyway he could use his degree here when he gets it? He doesn't know the terminology in English so obviously that's the problem I saw - would he have to receive the degree in English, or is there another way to learn the terminology in English?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Yeah - next time he's home let him go to his college library and find and (secretly) photocopy a good Polish-English Dictionary of XXXXX Engineering.
    XXXXXXX according to his discipline.
    The rest of it is just ordinary language practice - which of course includes reading and writing of reports.
    Can get them on Elsevier CD-ROm also but the book is faster to use I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cunnins4 wrote: »
    There's a Polish lad working on the bathroom in my house at the moment and he's studying Engineering back in Poland (He goes home twice a month the crazy f*cker).

Anyway, I was talking to him earlier and he was asking me if there's anyway he could use his degree here when he gets it? He doesn't know the terminology in English so obviously that's the problem I saw - would he have to receive the degree in English, or is there another way to learn the terminology in English?

I'd be surprised if he isn't doing technical English as part of his engineering course... having worked/lived here, I'm sure his English isn't too bad, it wouldn't take long to pick up any of the technical terms he needs... if its not part of his course he should look at learning some technical English, it will help him in the long run, no mater where he works...

Once he is doing his degree at a recognized university there, i'm sure it would be grand to work here... the only problem i would say is that he's probably getting more for tiling your bathroom then he would for working in engineering :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

the only problem i would say is that he's probably getting more for tiling your bathroom then he would for working in engineering :(

€5k for just over a week between the two lads working here. I think i'm in the wrong degree/career/trade etc...... They lied to us all in school.

I don't think Poland and Ireland have any bilateral agreement on the recognition of degrees.
    He should email the IIE with his details to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

What type of engineering?

For the likes of Electronic engineeing there is the IEE or IEEE, and if the course is recognised by them then its recognised everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lots of polish engineers work in my office but not many as engineers

Advertisement