Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life of an Officer

• 14-11-2007 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Just a few quick questions. I apologise if thy're similar to any previous posts although I think a lot of them are with respect to recruits and I'm talking more specifically with regard to officers.

I am currently doing a degree but what is the army's stance on people continuing education while they serve say, for example, doing a master course part-time or something similar?

What is the day to day life like when not overseas or on excersises? I get the impression from some previous posts, correct me if i'm wrong, that it's a lot of paperwork etc. and that it can often be quite boring. Also a lot of people have told me that if I had a degree I'd be better off just getting a civy job.

Finally I'm from Dublin so would I be posted to a Dublin barracks or would I be expected to be flexible and relocate to anywhere in the country?

Any info would be appreciated. I seriously think military.ie could do with having a bit more info itself :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

piby wrote: »
    Just a few quick questions. I apologise if thy're similar to any previous posts although I think a lot of them are with respect to recruits and I'm talking more specifically with regard to officers.

I am currently doing a degree but what is the army's stance on people continuing education while they serve say, for example, doing a master course part-time or something similar?

What is the day to day life like when not overseas or on excersises? I get the impression from some previous posts, correct me if i'm wrong, that it's a lot of paperwork etc. and that it can often be quite boring. Also a lot of people have told me that if I had a degree I'd be better off just getting a civy job.

Finally I'm from Dublin so would I be posted to a Dublin barracks or would I be expected to be flexible and relocate to anywhere in the country?

Any info would be appreciated. I seriously think military.ie could do with having a bit more info itself :D

Life as an Officer varies from Unit or Corps. Infantry for example would be busy for a young Luey..Training Recruits/NCO's Cse's and so on, and you'll be sent on the YO's cse(Young Officers Cse). Overseas aswell.

You will have periods where it is boring and as a Officer you will have paper work to do..Although you'll have a Sgt to Look after you ;)

Being from Dublin doesn't Guarantee a posting in Dublin. You'll be sent where your needed.

You could always go the Direct entry way but that only gives you the option for Corp Units.

hope that helps;)

My advice is finish your degree and then weight up your options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

above poster said most of it really, the ongoing ed in the army shouldnt be a problem, i know the young officers in my old barracks were sent to college by the army to do degrees(most chose art the bluffers) and they would be back around the barracks over the mid-terms, summer hols etc...

the officers contract has changed now so its not the 12 years and then outta there so youd best look into that, im not 100% sure about it!

Advertisement