Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet static ip

Options
  • 14-11-2007 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi

I'm not very familiar with wan static ip's.
    My Broadband ISP sent us an email with a static ip
    address that we asked them to set up. I haven't been able
    to reach them to get info on what needs to be done on our side.
    basically we want to connect via ftp to our internal NAS box.
    For arguments sake, he said the static ip address is 199.1.1.101
    How can i check to see that its set up correctly ?

If i go to a site like whatsmyip.org should my ip address appear as
    the one they gave me ?

thanks

okee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi

Can you us a bit more of an outline of what equipment you have in place and what exactly you wanna do. For example is it a house with a router, a business with a box firewall a server etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

it's a small office network with 3 pcs and a Dlink network storage device that has an ftp server built in.
    We have an smc wireless router with about 6 ethernet ports which all the pcs and the dlink are connected to.

The SMC router is connected to our isps "box" (This is wireless BroadBand as opposed to recieving it through the phone line) we have no access to this box.
    Our SMC router receives an ip address from the isps box

I have asked for a static ip address so we can ftp into the dlink nas to download files, they sent us an email with ip adress say 199.1.1.101 saying this was our static ip address that's it.
    When i checked the smc router it's getting an address like 10.1.1.10 from their box. when i go to whatsmyip.org it gives an adress something like 87.1.1.11

How are static adresses assigned by normal isps like eircom, if you ask for a static ip do they just assign them to your router, and the router/modem then picks up the address, or do you have to manually enter it in your router/modems wan settings.

Thanks

okee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Browse to http://www.hosting365.com/support/tools/whatsmyip/ in your web browser - if it's set up right, you will see the dedicated IP you were assigned.

To access your NAS using that address, you need to set up NAT (Network Address Translation) on your router, which translates the static IP to the internal network IP for the ftp service. You should be able to check your SMC manuals for details on how to do this, using the web based admin for the router.

HTH,
    Stephen

i went to whatsmyip.org earlier today and my address does not appear as the static ip it's something completely different.

Fair enough to assume it's not set up then so.

• Advertisement

Steve

If it was set up correctly
    I take it their box on the wan side would have the static internet ip address
    199.1.1.101 and then the box would issue an ip address to my router
    something like 10.1.1.101.
    Am i right ? there's no other way it could be setup

Well, their box shouldn't have an Ip at all (your router should) and the router would then NAT to the NAS device.

Originally we didn't have a router, just their box plugged into
    a switch and the pc's were set up to obtain an ip address from
    the box.

Advertisement