Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercings and comfort

Options
  • 14-11-2007 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I have been interested for some time in cartilage piercings - rim, tragus, industrial etc. The only thing that's been stopping me is the fact that I sleep on my side, and I've heard that even healed cartilage piercings object to being treated thusly. I have a bit of an issue with symmetry, so I would have to get the piercings in both ears, so just sleeping on one side wouldn't really work either.

Is there any way of sleeping on your side without pissing off your piercings? I imagine there must be, as there are an awful lot of people out there with plenty of cartilage piercings, and some of them must sleep on their sides, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how.

Also, corset and 'spinal' piercings have been luring me in recently, but would they make it uncomfortable to ever lie on your back again?

Sorry for all the questions. I know looking good means pain, and I don't mind getting piercings and healing them, but constant discomfort is something I would like to avoid if at all possible.

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

corset piercings are only temporary, usually for photo shoots etc. if you were to get them done theyd only be for a very short period, you can try heal em but its impossible.

as for healing cartilage piercings, just try sleep on your back or i usually just sleep on my arm. hard to describe. basically so my ears dont get agitated.
    youl figure a way, everyone has their own 'thing'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

I thought that about the corset piercings too, but I came across experiences on BME of ones done with surface bars and slave rings, which worked for a couple of years before they were taken out. Which sounds pretty damn cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hmm, good thread actually, i recently got rid of my little silver studs in my ears and replaced them with black ball closure rings, which were a bit thicker than what my lil studs woulda been... it was ok for the fleshier bits of my ears, but when he (went into celestial to buy the jewellery and figured no loss in getting a pro to squidge it in for me) put the jewellery in, it was much thicker than the stem of the stud had been, so twas a bit painful and that, and a lil pussy for a while etc... but i have been lookin after it, and still, one night sleeping on it (and i cant help if i sleep on it or not, literally, every morning when i wake up, it's in a tangle of sheets, and nothing is where it should be, i toss and turn a lot)... but is there actually anything else i can do? i love the new jewellery, but ive had this piercings for about 4-6 years, and never had a problem with them before now. suppose more salt soaks is all i can do, right?

I actually went pottering about on the net today and I found a pretty good idea - u-shaped pillow! Or a rolled up towel, if you're cheap:) probably won't help for your tossing and turning though narco:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Get a hemorrhoid pillow! Good for piles, good for piercings.

After so many years of cartilage piercings I now sleep with just the top of my head on the pillows... you just get used to it!

• Advertisement

Gauge wrote: »
    After so many years of cartilage piercings I now sleep with just the top of my head on the pillows... you just get used to it!

...that sounds hideously uncomfortable...

Are haemorrhoid pillows the roundy ones with the hole in the middle for cushioning your cushion on long journeys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Yep, doughnut pillows.

I can't sleep any other way now! (referring to sleeping with my head half off the pillow, not sleeping on the bum cushions)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I sleep with a pillow sort of squished up under my neck which takes the pressure off my ears even with me lying slightly on it. Only prob is that it sometimes pissess off my nape piercing.

i usually dont use pillows, and just go to sleep with my arm curled under my head so my ear's in the gap my arm makes, but again, i never wake up like that, hmm... they should invent like a box or something, that makes sure your ear has tonnes of space, but that goes around your head with a huge elastic or something to keep it in place... it should be rubber, and soft,and mould into your head, but with enough shape to keep it off your ear....

ideas anyone? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

narco wrote: »
    i usually dont use pillows, and just go to sleep with my arm curled under my head so my ear's in the gap my arm makes, but again, i never wake up like that, hmm... they should invent like a box or something, that makes sure your ear has tonnes of space, but that goes around your head with a huge elastic or something to keep it in place... it should be rubber, and soft,and mould into your head, but with enough shape to keep it off your ear....

ideas anyone? :P

Yup. I have an idea.

You won't hear your alarm and sleep in. :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I do what others seem to do too... I curl my arm up and have my ear in the gap that it makes. Maybe You should leave a week or two between getting your cartilidge piercings, leaving one to heal slightly before getting the other??

Soundman wrote: »
    Yup. I have an idea.

You won't hear your alarm and sleep in. :p

well, given i havent had a job since september/october-ish, and am currently on holidays 13,000 miles away... not to mention the fact i only have those annoying cartilege piercings in one ear.... that's not an issue...

so get working on the prototype, dammit! :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SplashBack

You could roll up a large towel under your head and try to sleep on your back or those U-shaped travel pillows are pretty good I hear. I never had a problem with any of mine, just used to put my hand up against my head to take some of the pressure off the piercings but now they're healed I never notice that I slept on them

i usually end up sleepin on my b/f's arm/chest/the opposite end of the bed on my front/side/back..... and probably end up in all those places plus more before i wake in the morning to find the mattress protector and the undersheet to be in a heap at the bottom of the bed. we have no idea how i do that.

bear in mind you are talking to a very paranoid, very twitchy person... i move/freak out at the slightest bit of movement at night.... whether im consciously aware of it or not.....

im still waiting on someone to come up with the prototype....

narco wrote: »
    im still waiting on someone to come up with the prototype....

Wait for it - you duct tape TWO haemorrhoid pillows to your head!!! You might have to wear one of those cloth hats for swimming pools to stop it sticking to your hair though... It would look very serious and professional. :D

Wait for it - you duct tape TWO haemorrhoid pillows to your head!!! You might have to wear one of those cloth hats for swimming pools to stop it sticking to your hair though... It would look very serious and professional. :D

but..., i only have cartilege piercings in one ear! and really... you dont seem to be comprehending the seriousness of my movement at night.... cloth hats would never work. and the rubber ones are maybejust a bit too severe for the situation...

man, i should really stop replying ot this til im sober... ill prob ably wake up banned from here :confused::mad::(:D:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xxxLoueeZxxx

when i got my tragus pierced i couldnt sleep on that side for a few days but after that it was grand! as for having 2 have one in each ear, Im the same i suggest get one done then a few weeks later get the other thats wat i did!!!

while we're updating.. my new ear jewellery seems to have healed up a treat. i dont know what i did or when i did that to warrant it... but... y'no.. not complaining... even managed to buy new (slighly even bigger) jewellery for my belly ring this week, took a while to break through the skin, but im sure twill be 100% normal in no time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

sounds like your getting sucked into the streching buzz now...

lol, nah, given it a good bit of thought... but don't reckon i'd have the consistancy to stick with it... anyway, i quite like my earring arrangements as they are right now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement