Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gremlins in my electrics again. Mk3 golf

Options
  • 14-11-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I posted a question sometime ago about a problem with electrics/lights on a mk3 golf which i got help with and got sorted. Thing is, the gremlins seem to be back.

Theres a 1mth old battery in her but last night when i got home after a 50mile drive i went back out to go to town and she wouldn't start, she turned over once or twice but the battery was dead. I put it on a 12hr trickle charge last night put it in this morning and she started, drove to Athlone and when i got there i turned her off and started it again to see if she would start but no joy, Dead. What gives do you think? alternator? wiring? Any help please..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery. Have the alternator tested (simple if you have access to a multimeter). It could also be that the battery is not holding it's charge, but that's unlikely (not impossible) as the battery is practically new.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Hey
    Thanks for the reply. Ok, heres what i did using a multimeter. Jumped started the bad golf from a good golf and got a reading of 9.5v/10.8v at idle.

Tested the other golf at idle and got a reading of between 13.7v at idle upto 14.5 fast idle, so i hope i can take it that my alternator is shot? i say hopefully as an alternators not so bad but a wiring problem is a different kettle of fish. Also, i should add that this is the 3rd battery in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hey
    so i hope i can take it that my alternator is shot?

From what you say it's more than likely your alternator that is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Very usefull article. thanks. Also, was reading another article from another post here this morning, forget who posted it but i reckon jump starting the way we say our old men starting a dead battery might just be the casue of my problems. Well worth reading how to do things the right way.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement