Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection in Dromroe

• 14-11-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

I cannot access the web from my computer. Im using vista, in case that matters, and i have followed the instruction i was given, entering student-proxy.ul.ie 8080 in the lan settings and i was lead to belive it would just work. It didnt. four of us in the house with the same prob, so whats the answer, are we missing something obvious? Help Please :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

You did pay for the connection at reception yeah?

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

well firstly the proxy i was given is public-proxy.ul.ie with ports at 8080

secondly you need to give your mac address to the village reception and itd will then allow your computer access the service

you will be given a sheet to fill out with details on how to find your mac address if your using a windows comp and if your using a mac just go to "about this mac", "more info", "network" and you should be abe to find it under ethernet

edit; im in kilmurry not dromroe but as far as i know the proxy should be the same but before you change the proxy make sure they have your mac address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I cannot access the web from my computer. Im using vista, in case that matters, and i have followed the instruction i was given, entering student-proxy.ul.ie 8080 in the lan settings and i was lead to belive it would just work. It didnt. four of us in the house with the same prob, so whats the answer, are we missing something obvious? Help Please :confused:

As Otacon said you did pay for the connection fee yeah? Also at the top of this forum there is a thread I went to considerable effort typing regarding the UL data network and how to connect to it. You need to give your MAC address to village management or ITD....there's links to the instructions in the sticky at the top of the forum.

To find your MAC address in Windows hit the Windows + R key and then type cmd, then hit the Enter key. In the command window type ipconfig /all then hit Enter again. That command will print out some information what you need is the set of numbers beside the text "Physical address" make sure you take the numbers from the network card you'll be using the heading should be something like "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:" it's the MAC address of this adaptor that you want and need to give to village management or ITD.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

yea i paid for the connection and i did fill out the sheet with my mac address and i handed it into the village reception, but still nothing.

yea i paid for the connection and i did fill out the sheet with my mac address and i handed it into the village reception, but still nothing.

Mint someone who actually did what they were supposed to do before asking inane questions about it (not saying that your question was inane though).

Right first of all when did you fill out the form and submit it...it could take a few days for someone to get around to doing it although once your MAC address is allowed on to the network you shouldn't have any problems.

Ok the other problem(s) could be that your network card is not set up to obtain an IP address automatically. I haven't a clue how to set this up in Vista having not used it yet but in XP open up the Control Panel and then the Network Connections applet. From here select your Local Area Connection..right click on it and select Properties and then a window will pop up. Find the the TCP/IP settings in here and double click on it.

Another window should open with an option to either configure an IP address and DNS servers manually. You don't want to configure them manually so make sure the "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" radio buttons are selected.

The other things I can think of are perhaps some sort of strange firewall settings in Vista.

The proxies you should be using in IE or Firefox are:
    http://student-proxy.ul.ie, Port 8080
    http://staff-proxy.ul.ie, Port 8080

Make sure you tick the box that says use same proxy for all protocols aswell. Peak Output mentioned public-proxy.ul.ie on port 8080 this wasn't around when I was in UL but it may be worth trying it if ITD have changed their setup it is possible to only allow access to student-proxy.ul.ie from labs and not the villages.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

rmacm wrote: »
    . Peak Output mentioned public-proxy.ul.ie on port 8080 this wasn't around when I was in UL but it may be worth trying it if ITD have changed their setup

i hope i havnt given away my secret to 1mb/s+ download speeds

Handed in the MAC address form over a week ago so it should be processed by now. I'll re check that stuff again on monday but i think I have all that done correctly. Asked at the reception too, they said they would send some one out to look at it but nobody arrived.

ITD usually have one afternoon a week at the service desk in the Library where they'll help people out getting access to the network with their laptops. I'm not sure what day it is but I'm sure if you call in and ask they'll let you know. Failing that just bring your laptop down to the reception desk in the village and see if someone will help you there.

Cheers
    Rory

well its a desk top yhat I have but ill go and ask anyway, see if they can shed some light on my situation. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

well im jus after rebootin vista on a friends lappy, all i had to do were put the student-proxy.ul.ie and port 8080 inta internet explorers lan settins, n i was off...easy as pie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement