Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT charges?

Options
  • 14-11-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Has it been increased? my 2G broadband & Talk bill is now 92 euros:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Did you order anything extra this month - routers, wireless adapters etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

I only suppose you made some calls to numbers not included in the free calls. This would be mobile numbers, International numbers (excluding UK), or premium numbers:D

To be sure check your bill online

Boopolo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dogpile wrote: »
    Has it been increased? my 2G broadband & Talk bill is now 92 euros:confused:

Thats what it's supposed to be, €46 per month. All their packages increased in September when Eircom increased their line rental.
    http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talk.shtml
    boopolo wrote:
    I only suppose you made some calls to numbers not included in the free calls.
    Talk doesn't include any calls. You're thinking of 'Total Talk'.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

No extras...no phone calls made on the line, in fact there's no phone even connected to the line:rolleyes:...looking at previous bills, total charges were 70euro excluding vat! this bill is 76? and discounts have decreased by nearly 5euros anorl :cool:

so there is an increase! nice of them to not let me know..

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

All there latest packages seem to have reduced line rental of €13.50.

As Kaiser says it €46 PM.
    http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talk.shtml

€92 Euro is the price for two months or two connections.

Boopolo

• Advertisement

Didn't you get the letter? I did and any of my customers on BT did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm in the same boat, bill up to €92 and no letter about the increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No extras...no phone calls made on the line, in fact there's no phone even connected to the line:rolleyes:...looking at previous bills, total charges were 70euro excluding vat! this bill is 76? and discounts have decreased by nearly 5euros anorl :cool:

Don't mean to sound crazy or anything but why get BB+Talk if you've no phone connected? Get BB only for €32.50 a month instead of €46. €13.50 in your pocket instead of theirs if you never use the phone.

[edit]If you do this then how about donating that first month saving to SSF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

You have to get a talk package from BT in order to transfer the line to them. So basically you're paying them 13.50 line rental instead of paying Eircom 25 or whatever it is.

No you don't. The talk packages include prepaid talktime. You can just get a broadband package and pay for all calls made itemised seperately. You're paying the line rental either way.

http://btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml

I used to just have a bb package - but switched to bb+Total Talk because we make calls to England a lot so it saves us money but it's optional.

• Advertisement

Right. There's no extra charge for 'Talk'. It's just the name of the bundle where you transfer your line rental and calls to BT. There is no inclusive calls like there is with 'Total Talk'. With 'Talk' you just pay for any calls (if any) on top of the bundle price. You can't avail of the discounted line rental unless you transfer all to BT.

Ofcourse you can take BB on it's own and leave your line rental and calls with Eircom or whoever, but it's more expensive.
    2Mb BB on it's own (€32.50) plus line rental paid to Eircom (€25.36) = €57.86

2Mb BB bundle (incl. line rental & Talk) with BT = €46.00

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Macros42 wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound crazy or anything but why get BB+Talk if you've no phone connected? Get BB only for €32.50 a month instead of €46. €13.50 in your pocket instead of theirs if you never use the phone.
    ;)

I'd still have been paying line rental to eircom so it wouldn't have worked out much of a difference, one bill rather than two seemed a better option

in fact looking at the above post, eircom line rental and BT BB works out at over 10euro more so I've in fact made a saving:cool:

Ah I see they've renamed the packages since I changed mine. Sorry. I switched to BT about 3 years ago and was on a line rental + bb package. Last November I changed to BB+Total Talk but I had the option for BB+Talk which included landline calls within Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭flaka

What really anoyed me about BT was the advertised prices are per month but they bill you every two months.
    This thread has made me go an look up my bills and figure the thing out....

I have "Broadband Option 2" - which at the time (August 2006) was 2Mb download speed and 20GB monthly download limit.
    My bills increased around this time
    24/06/07 - 23/08/07 = €84.99
    24/08/07 - 23/10/07 = €92.00

Thier advertised 2Mb service is at €32.50pm = €65 every two months.
    On the same page in Footnotes it says "All prices are inclusive of VAT"
    Advertised as Line rental not included - fair enought, I switched from Eircom who had the line (well really Smart had the line but Eircom said they could not tell me who had the line and I had to get Eircom to make an new line which ended bing the original line... another story)

Here is my bill breakdown (I don't have a phone plugged so never make calls)

Line Rental 41.92
    Broadband Option 2 Two Monthly Rental Fee 53.72
    Broadband & Line Rental Discount -19.61
    Other charges and credits 0
    Total Discounts Received 0
    Total Charges (ex. VAT) 76.03
    VAT @ 21.0% 15.97
    Total Charges this period (incl. VAT) 92.00

Taking the broadband part of this - €52.72
    Per month fee of 26.86 exVAT = €32.50
    Line Rental 20.96 - 9.80 = €11.16

The problem is people (AKA me) look at the €32.50pm and think I'm paying €75 every two months.
    Then the bill rolls in for €92. And you're left thinking - "Hang on that was supposed to be €32.50... by 2 which is €75...what the f??"

The advertised price should state the billing period. I know its all there black and white, and they all do it. But it leaves a bad taste. As all the providers advertise like this we think they are all a shower of *&^%$£. If they all advertised "Amount per period €xx" it would eliminate one reason people dislike the ISPs in this country.

Advertisement